Toyota Feedback-Injector seal leak & screen clogg

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: Toyota Feedback-Injector seal leak & screen clogg

Postby grogfrog on Thu, 24 May 2012 8:52 +0000

Wing wrote:
Hilux Max wrote:Grog,

do you know if when the injectors are replaced under warranty (DLC), do they check the tappets or is this a seperate activity?

The component diagram shown in the following link says that the seals are non re-usable. Seals should be changed if injectors have been replaced.

http://toyota.esealtd.com/toyota/hilux/ ... 0000x.html

G'day Wing,

No doubt when you mess with the Injectors those seals must be changed, the confusing thing is that my discussions with Toyota seem to indicate that their expectation is that the injectors must be removed for just a tappet clearance check?
In which case the seal change would be captured every 40,000KLM, similar to the proceedure in NZ.

I can't see specifically were that requirement is specified, since a simple "check", as per your owners manual, can be argued does not typically consitute an "adjustment" whereby the proceedures clearly do specify Injector removal and a seal change. So who would change the seals on a "Check" as Toyota are saying should be done.

I think what TMC are eluding to is that the expectation in servicing this part in OZ should be not that different to NZ, with seal changes thus occuring at c.40,000-45,000KLM. But I can't see were this instruction is clear to service agents in this regard.

Put it this way, I have yet to find anyone in OZ that is changing these seals, althoughin NZ they specifically do do it at these Intervals. I have certianly seen a few pics of old copper seals on problem engines.

A simple official line from TMC on this would answer all our questions here.

Grog frog
grogfrog

Postby Quinny34 on Thu, 24 May 2012 9:40 +0000

Has anyone asked them directly?
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby grogfrog on Thu, 24 May 2012 9:46 +0000

Definately mate, but still waiting for it in writing......What the chance of that?

Grogfrog.
grogfrog

Re: Voice your complaint -Injector seal leak & screen clogg

Postby grogfrog on Thu, 24 May 2012 2:54 +0000

G'day Toyboata & crew,

My Brother & I just found this new Iink If you want to voice a complaint. It was by Graham Smith and was the same as the news article, but here you can add complaints about this issue and others:

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-re ... _2005_2009

I have been told this bloke is a real car guy, a hot rodder who was an engineer at GM & Pontiac. If has a history of elevating complaints to the right people so I would say guys.... Don't hold back!

opps! That's the Jeep add!!

Better say "Don't be shy!"

Grogy

Toybota said before:

toyboata wrote:If this is such a big issue and is in many cases leading to engine failures then I would hope and expect that Toyota Australia issue a total recall on all affected vehicles like they have done with reference to tailshaft centre bearing supports and bullbar mounts.
It is not part of regular service procedures listed in the service manual to replace these seals so everyone who owns an affected vehicle should be made aware of the issue. Not everyone gets their vehicle services at Toyota agents and nor do they have to. I own a mechanical workshop and perform better work than many Toyota dealers and authorized agents out there. I will never have my Hilux serviced by Toyota but would expect them to replace these seals as part of warranty program if my vehicle is one that is affected.
The possibility of complete engine failure because of some shitty $2 washers is a scary prospect and if Toyota are to retain their reputation with their 'UNBREAKABLE' Hilux then they should be recalling every vehicle, whether under warranty or not and replace these parts, as no where have I ever seen any mention by Toyota of a need to replace them.
grogfrog

Toyota Feedback-Injector seal leak & screen clogg

Postby toyboata on Thu, 24 May 2012 4:27 +0000

Was at Frankston Toyota this morning booking in to get my shitty steering rack looked at and asked about this issue. Manager there reckons there's no plans for any recall in Australia and nothing further to do regarding these seals as apparently it's a non issue. He reckons its only overseas models that are affected, not any that are in Oz.
Personally I think he is full of shit. They all come out of Thailand and I don't see how there would be any difference in motors that are destined for either Europe, NZ or Oz.
According to the articles mine is past the date of manufacture for affected models so that makes me feel better, I will however be keeping a close eye on the oil whenever I change it.
I feel sorry for anyone in Oz that does suffer severe problems due to this issue and think its extremely poor form of Toyota to not be notifying owners to at least come in and get theirs checked.
toyboata

Postby grogfrog on Thu, 24 May 2012 6:22 +0000

Yo Toyboata,

Interesting that the service manager is now up on the O/S campaign, Now thats a good start. Looks like the dealers are starting to script a response if one of us lowly customers dares to ask the question?

I know of 3 x "non issues" like that have taken up space in another dealers workshop recently whilst being asked to wait for over a month until TMC Field techs could have a look.

Then only to discover the wait was due to some Tech Guru from Japan tagin' along! Who wanted to have a look as well

Isn't that Interesting?

Yep most of these Vehicles come out of Thailand, and I think most of the engines come from Japan anyway. The campaign OS probably covers first shipment onward of Euro 4 versions to Europe, If we got an order in OZ of Euro4 before that it would not be on that campaign, but if we end up with a campaign in OZ then earlier VINS might be involved.

Plus the reason the cut of is April 2008, is that they probably had already implemented programs at dealer level to begin to manage later VINS in EU, like changing seals etc. If they end up doing it here in OZ, because they have waited so long, it will probably involve much later VINS, probably have to be a much bigger capture range of VINS, so you could still end up on a list of effected vehicles if an Australian campaign on Injector seals & clogged screeens starts.

We all know the motors have not changed that much. Thanks for the feedback Toyboata & good luck with the rack!

Grogy

Toyboata said:

toyboata wrote:Was at Frankston Toyota this morning booking in to get my shitty steering rack looked at and asked about this issue. Manager there reckons there's no plans for any recall in Australia and nothing further to do regarding these seals as apparently it's a non issue. He reckons its only overseas models that are affected, not any that are in Oz.
Personally I think he is full of shit. They all come out of Thailand and I don't see how there would be any difference in motors that are destined for either Europe, NZ or Oz.
According to the articles mine is past the date of manufacture for affected models so that makes me feel better, I will however be keeping a close eye on the oil whenever I change it.
I feel sorry for anyone in Oz that does suffer severe problems due to this issue and think its extremely poor form of Toyota to not be notifying owners to at least come in and get theirs checked.
grogfrog

Previous

Return to Servicing