Tailshaft centre bearing support brackets RECALL

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: HILUX RECALL - 2010

Postby andy666 on Tue, 05 Jun 2012 6:40 +0000

Well this is a bit of a rehash of a back and forth between myself and jap from another thread (http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11702&start=100) regarding the cross member/centre bearing recall, plus a couple of PM's between us clearing things up and really explaining each of our views. Maybe others will get some extra info from this.
I have checked with jap and he is happy for me to share the PM's

jap wrote:MR Exhaust is good.

As for that recall, i've recieved a few letters now. I've checked the bracket out, there are no propagating cracks that I can see.
If I had my way, it would come out and a single piece shaft would go on.

jap wrote:I don't think the issue is with the tailshaft itself, more so the bracket/crossmember holding it (the centre bearing)

andy666 wrote:The recall on the centre bearing is to do with cracking of the crossmember that the centre bearing bolts to. It's nothing to do with the tail shaft itself.
I got mine done. It's a couple of extra brackets and a safety loop under the tail shaft.
Why not get it done? It's free and doesnt effect driving or ground clearance in any way. Stupid to not get it done.

jap wrote:Stupid?

Really.
Cheers

jap wrote:http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7119&start=140

andy666 wrote:
jap wrote:http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7119&start=140

Guess what, the loop under the tail shaft isn't the strengthening bit that's just safety. Remove it if you have some big issue with it. The strengthening part is the 2 small 90degree plates that bolt on to the crossmember and centre bearing mount above it. They don't look like much but will strengthen the shit out of the standard mount.

So what's the big issue with it now?

Have you actually bothered to have a good look at a vehicle that's had the recall? Or just seen some pictures of it and jumped to conclusions?

PM's
jap wrote:Hi Andy,

Just in the interest of keeping the thread clean, I'll explain my point of view.

I'm pretty pedantic about the TRD, so much so that I don't even let them (Toyota) touch it for services anymore, I got the 5000km service done and after hearing from my mate that worked at the dealership about what the apprentice did to the truck, I won't go there or anywhere else.
That is putting the recall stuff aside, regardless of the fix and how they do it.

So that is the main point, second though, if the brackets on the side were adequate, why would the hoop be needed? Not looking to start an argument, just healthy discussion.

I inspect the cross member everytime before I go away to race and it is in great nick, saying that, I don't do a lot of offroad work to overly stress it in the first place.

So there you go, I guess I could have voiced my reasons to stop it looking like I was just taking an uninformed stand, but hindsight is a great thing.

Cheers man

Jap

andy666 wrote:Hi jap

The loop would be fitted because Toyota are are just being overly careful to cover their own arses after having some failures with the original design. As I said the loop is really just a precautionary thing. Its the same reason that in nsw all school buses are required to have safety loops fitted around the tail shafts. Just the rta covering their arse because it is a vehicle carrying kids (by the way I'm a heavy vehicle mechanic with 10yrs experience and have my vehicle inspection ticket)

It sounds like the bigger issue is that you don't trust your local Toyota dealer after hearing some bad story's, so fair enough if you don't want to go back there. You should always feel good about who works on your vehicle because at the end of the day it's your safety and you want peace of mind.
Thanks for explaining your point. It did sound in the previous posts that you were simply bad mouthing the recall without a just reason, but if you don't want to go back to Toyota that's fair enough. I hope that this clears up my view as well and you can see the point of the recall and that it is not simply a crappy design, even if you don't get it done.

Andy

Ps: I have seen first hand the damage a broken tail shaft can do, not on a hilux but on large trucks. They can easily smash through steel fuel tanks and air tanks, so I would hate to see what would be left of the plastic hilux tank :)
666 High Idle Kits to suit 05+ hilux Available Here
My Build Thread.
andy666

Postby greg59 on Mon, 16 Jul 2012 6:56 +0000

camwill69 wrote:Typed in my vin # in the "Is my car affected?" and no it is not affected by this recall. o8/06 SRs T/D Auto D/C 4x4.

Go figure,

Cam

Hi Cam, i have a 11/06 SR T/D Auto D/C 4x4 and toyota kalgoorlie WA recalled and changed my centre bearing carrier over a year ago at no cost. Greg 59
greg59

Postby Techo1 on Sun, 10 Mar 2013 6:49 +0000

Torsion wrote:Windsor Toyota told me they have done approx 150 recalls to date and nearly all of them had to un-bolt the fuel tank, drop it down slightly to attach the bolt on loop.
They even said some tanks (depending on the type) had to be perminantly spaced down and over to make room for the bolt on loop.
Shit this worries me, I don't want Toyo touching my tank full stop........

You have good reason to be worried Torsion, I had the loop fitted to my V6 Hilux in Bendigo last year but only yesterday had a look underneath and to say that I am not impressed with the workmanship is an understatement. They obviously had to remove or relocate the tank slightly and in the process tied up the fuel and vent hoses with a couple of cable ties and in doing so kinked all three hoses badly, apparently the warning clearly printed on the hoses "DO NOT KINK" meant nothing to them.
I don 't know if the cable ties were meant to just hold the hoses while the work was in progress or whether they were supposed to stay but I have cut them and fitted the hoses and wiring back into the plastic saddles on the crossmember.
Techo1

Postby Ryno77 on Sun, 15 Sep 2013 3:31 +0000

Can someone confirm that this is the only recall on latish model Hilux's?

Appears to be.

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index ... mId/995581

Anything I should be aware of for 10/2010 SR5 Dualcab?
Ryno77

Postby boxhead55 on Sun, 15 Sep 2013 4:24 +0000

To be sure to be sure pop into your local Toyota to check your vin for any recalls. Take your vin number in and that way there is no question

But that recall is and old one
But we are still seeing the of few that come in to the shop. That haven't been to a toyota dealer in a while or ever

Hope this helps.
boxhead55

Postby Moiv on Mon, 23 Sep 2013 8:41 +0000

Did anyone with aftermarket fuel tanks have to pay for the crossmember recall to be done?
I have a 120L tank, not sure what make as it was on the car when I bought it.
Motorama want to charge $520 to remove & re-fit the tank to do the recall work. I haven't agreed to pay it as I'm not the one who designed a bracket that's defective so it shouldn't be my cost to fix it.
Moiv

Postby Homer72 on Tue, 24 Sep 2013 1:26 +0000

Moiv I had an aftermarket Long Ranger 128ltr tank fitted and Toyota in Townsville didn't say anything when they did the mod. 1st I have heard of them trying to charge and I know a lot that have been done.
Mark ;)

"You only live once, but if you do it right once is enough"
Homer72
Platinum Subscriber

Postby boxhead55 on Tue, 24 Sep 2013 3:38 +0000

All they have to do to gain more recall repair time is take a photo of the ute including the rego and long range tank. And send that with the recall claim. 1st I have heard of people charging to remove the tank.
boxhead55

Postby Moiv on Tue, 24 Sep 2013 5:56 +0000

That's interesting boxhead, when they had my car for a service they were going to do the recall. Then they said they couldn't because of tank and they had taken photos and sent the to Toyota to find out what to do. Then a week later came back to me with I need to pay 4 hours additional labour.
Moiv

Postby boxhead55 on Tue, 24 Sep 2013 8:05 +0000

Mate done too many to remember just have to drop the front of the tank to do the job. No customer every had to pay.
boxhead55

Postby Moiv on Tue, 24 Sep 2013 10:58 +0000

Thanks for your info Boxhead.
I rang them and said what you have said here about sending the photos and no one ever having to pay.
He said he's already sent the photos and that's the outcome. So I asked if he would follow it up and he said no that's the final outcome.
Then he proceeded to tell me to get my mate who worked at Toyota to call him and speak to him about it or call Toyota on my behalf and speak to them about it. I just said nah I'll just get it done somewhere else.

I guess I'll try another dealer
Moiv

Postby Moiv on Tue, 24 Sep 2013 11:27 +0000

A different dealer said they will need the car for 2 days as they need to drop the whole tank out to do the crossmember inspection. And as far as the lady I spoke to knows there is no cost to the customer.
Moiv

Postby fullhouse on Tue, 24 Sep 2013 3:33 +0000

I get mine back tomorrow
Dropped it off last Friday
fullhouse

Re: Tailshaft centre bearing support brackets RECALL

Postby DeadlyBeast on Wed, 21 Nov 2018 5:16 +0000

Title edited for clarity / searchability
DeadlyBeast

Postby 2113980725 on Fri, 22 Jan 2021 5:38 +0000

No 4 Cross member rcall
After 3 inspections the dealer has advised me that they want the vehicle for 3 weeks to cut the existing cross member out and reweld a new one in place.
im concerned that there will be more damage to the vehicle in removing the body and welding to the chassis then by simply reinforcing the existig

Postby Rob_Wood on Fri, 22 Jan 2021 10:11 +0000

2113980725 wrote:No 4 Cross member rcall
After 3 inspections the dealer has advised me that they want the vehicle for 3 weeks to cut the existing cross member out and reweld a new one in place.
im concerned that there will be more damage to the vehicle in removing the body and welding to the chassis then by simply reinforcing the existig

I can understand your concerns, however I might also suggest that any recall works carried out by a proper dealership Mechanic should be basically covered by a "NEAR" lifetime warranty. They've recalled the vehicle for a reason. They must also therefore be willing to stand by the works they do.
Rob_Wood

Postby hiluxxury on Mon, 25 Jan 2021 5:38 +0000

2113980725 wrote:No 4 Cross member rcall

N70 or N80?
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Previous

Return to Warranty/Recalls