Tailshaft centre bearing support brackets RECALL

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: HILUX RECALL - 2010

Postby KTM525EXC on Tue, 01 Mar 2011 10:35 +0000

stevehastings wrote:Far Tanunda toyota A+, booked in for 2 recalls, drive shaft and front bull bar 2 weeks ago took it in Monday at 8am I picked it up at 1pm both jobs done, great place, and could have got it done sooner but I was out off the countery, in vietnam driving a left hand drive hilux, so funny.

Tanunda in SA?
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby chevaps on Wed, 09 Mar 2011 7:47 +0000

Just for those people who have a Hilux built after Feb 2010, i have just been told by Toyota's telephone help department that vehicles built after Feb 2010 have the vehicle rectified through an improvement in the production phase. The online "is my vehicle affected?" system shows my VIN as affected, but a check with Toyota shows its not really the case.

Good news for me as that bracket looks a bit flimsy and i don't think it's designed to catch anything since its the mount itself that forms part of the recall. Maybe it adds a little rigidity to the structure or acts as a dampener to prevent fatigue loading and vibration failure over time?

Tom
chevaps

Postby dazza609 on Sat, 09 Apr 2011 11:28 +0000

Just got this recall aswell as the bonnet recall done last week, had to take it back in for the bonnet one as they had not fitted the bonnet protector back properly and it was scratching the bonnet, and there is still some metal shavings in the bonnet :?
now i have noticed a small vibration when taking off, hadnt noticed it before the recall, has anyone had this? could it be because of something they have done?

Cheers Darren
dazza609

Postby whitevc on Tue, 19 Apr 2011 6:27 +0000

Had my Bullbar done on the recall last friday here in Melbourne. Jumped out of the ute and left it running today on a job site and heard a rattle coming from the front end. Popped my head under the left front to find 3 of the mounting bolts just rattling away. :evil: not good, think it was safer before i let them near it.

Mark.
whitevc

Postby dazza609 on Sat, 23 Apr 2011 3:25 +0000

Well vibration got a little worse, so i took it back in to get checked out and turns out the centre bearing was worn, they offered to replace it and only charge me for the bearing itself, which seemed pretty good of them, after there stuff up with the bonnet protector, cost for bearing was $356 does this seem about right?

Cheers Darren
dazza609

Postby stewydz on Thu, 16 Jun 2011 8:31 +0000

I've had this happen to 2 different utes in the past 2 weeks. Both with under 100k kms.
Toyota dont actually fix the problem with the recall, they just put a nother loop around the centre bearing so when the bracket snaps it dosen't jam into the road and flip the car.
The centre bearing bracket is actually tearing out around the weld on the cross member.

Does anyone know of a mob that would repalce or reinrorce the the housing?
stewydz

Postby jap on Thu, 16 Jun 2011 9:18 +0000

I received a second recall letter about the centre bearing mount.
I inspected it before i went away to the drags and it looked fine.
Anyone gone to a single piece tailshaft on one of these yet?
Cant forsee any issues with it :?
The Quickest TRD Hilux in Australia - 13.690 @ 100.56mph
True Bolt-On Power, Performance & Reliability

Traded for:

BT50 D/C 3.2l Auto - TJM Deluxe Bullbar - TJM Rear Step - TJM Canopy - Airtec Snorkel
jap

HILUX RECALL - 2010

Postby KTM525EXC on Thu, 16 Jun 2011 9:20 +0000

jap wrote:I received a second recall letter about the centre bearing mount.
I inspected it before i went away to the drags and it looked fine.
Anyone gone to a single piece tailshaft on one of these yet?
Cant forsee any issues with it :?

Yeah toddie has on his lux 8-)
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Gulfstream8 on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:25 +0000

Well I finally succumb and got this recall done, I waited as long as possible in hope that they might get it right the first time. Unfortunately despite taking it to the actual Toyota Company itself the workmanship (if you can call it workmanship) is extremely poor. And a warning to all to read this below and check their own vehicles ASAP.

1. Lumps of grease found on body work and inside truck (Just poor form)
2. Fuel tank bash plate bracket left hanging in the breeze
3. Handbrake cable bracket left hanging in the breeze
4. Handbrake cable hanging outside of bracket above centre bearing
5. Tail shaft removed without indexing or marking of alignment (can cause balance issues)
6. Tail shaft reinstalled to gritty and dirty surfaces of mating plates where the clamping force is 88Nw. (can cause balance issues plus coming lose over time)
7. Metal filings left inside cross member after installation of recall kit
8. No rust inhibitor sprayed inside of bear metal cross member

All and all pretty poor effort but what’s worse is that it is a number of problems that they missed. This is all very basic engineering stuff that one should learn in their first year of their trade.

If you have had this recall I would encourage you to inspect their work but at the very least remove the inspection caps on the centre bearing cross member and spray some rust inhibiter in there.
Last edited by Gulfstream8 on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 1:40 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Gulfstream8

Postby apostoly on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:37 +0000

I just got my car back 2 days ago, all in all, they did a good job.Although i can hear all the metal shavings rattling in my bonnet when lifting and closing it (not abig deal)

I went to Rockdale Toyota in NSW. Good service!!
2nd Gear Low & GO GO GO

My Build Page - http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=9074

Pauly ;)
apostoly

Postby greysrigging on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 7:01 +0000

Got my second recall letter the other day. If they had done it when I had it booked in at Clintons Camden last December,it wouldnt be causing me grief now. Clintons cancelled the job back then, now I am over working in the Pilbara and its a huge waiting list to get in to the Dealer in Karratha. Not to mention trying to co-ordinate it all with a RDO or R&R from work at Cape Lambert.....Oh well.......I have to get it done as there are sh*tloads of corregated gravel roads around here.
greysrigging

Postby pjtaylor03 on Thu, 01 Mar 2012 4:46 +0000

Its funny a few months back there was a Hilux stopped directly behind mine at a local shopping mall carpark (so I couldn't reverse out). There was a lady on the phone sitting in the drivers seat not very happy. When I got closer I noticed the centre bearing had let go and the tailshaft was in 2 pieces resting on the road. We had to tie the pieces of tailshaft up off the road so we could move the car for her. She then said the car was 2 months old. They had taken a trip across to WA and back and it had just had its first 10k service. After the service she had driven about 70km and it had just dropped out in the carpark. I bet she won't be going back to that dealership in a hurry. They must have loosened the centre bearing bolts in the service and forgot to do them back up.
pjtaylor03

Postby Marlin on Tue, 10 Apr 2012 10:50 +0000

Hi Guys,
This my first post in this forum and would like to get some feed back from members, I have just purchased a 07 SR dual cab turbo ute only to be told about the problems that Toyota are having with these units :shock:

After reading as many posts as I could find on here about the problems that come with these cars, I went and spoke to my local Toyota dealer, and he said that there is a time limit on getting these recall repairs done is that true?

I was told that the bonnet recall/repair had already finished and if I wanted that done I would more than likely have to pay for it out of my own pocket.
As for the crossmember recall /repair that was still something that they had to fix at no charge.
Then when I asked about the injectors he just said that is caused by people using the wrong fuel and not keeping the car serviced.

When I said well a lot of people had problems with their cars that were only months old he said that was news to him,
I will get the crossmember repair done ASAP because I do quite alot of country (dirt road)driving.
Surely if we all got together and signed a letter something of that nature, Toyota would sit up and take notice and try to keep us happy as customers even a giant like Toyota does not like bad press.
What are your thoughts?
Sorry about the long post.
Marlin

Postby hobo on Wed, 11 Apr 2012 5:43 +0000

Marlin wrote:Hi Guys,

After reading as many posts as I could find on here about the problems that come with these cars, I went and spoke to my local Toyota dealer, and he said that there is a time limit on getting these recall repairs done is that true?

I was told that the bonnet recall/repair had already finished and if I wanted that done I would more than likely have to pay for it out of my own pocket.
As for the crossmember recall /repair that was still something that they had to fix at no charge.

correct on both counts if these are the recalls you're referring to according to the Govt website

Toyota—Hilux—Engine Hood (Bonnet) StrikerPRA number: 2007/9573
Date created: 12th October 2007
This recall was closed on the 26th August 2010
http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index ... mId/953372

Toyota—Hilux - No:4 Crossmember Bracket PRA number: 2010/11961
Date created: 8th September 2010
http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index ... mId/995581

you can see the first one is 'closed' the second one is still an 'open' ticket,
whether you'll win the argument with Toyota I have no idea but I'd bypass you local service manager & talk to toyota direct
hobo

Postby holdon on Mon, 23 Apr 2012 5:52 +0000

Sorry to steer the thread away but my 06 hilux has not have the tailshaft/cross member recall done. I have just recently noticed what sounds like a bearing noise coming from under the car. Im not familiar with the recall but could this be related to it? What exactly is the recall (do they replace the bearings?). I figured I would start with this first before I start pulling apart the drivetrain for the noise. Im going away a 4hr trip in a few weeks and think I need to get this sorted.
holdon

Postby Steve9R on Mon, 23 Apr 2012 6:59 +0000

no there is no bearing replacement.

they install a hoop to stop the tailshaft falling out of the centre bearing and dragging on the ground.. (there has only ever been 1 x case of this happening).. 'if' there are cracks in the frame around the centre bearing holder they will also replace the crossmember.. (dont expect it back same day though!)..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby JimH on Wed, 25 Apr 2012 11:10 +0000

Hello All ! Jim here, I'm new to this forum, I bought a 2005 Dual Cab sr5 (petrol) about 3 years ago and it has had the bonnet strenthened plate fitted before I bought the car, But ony just last week on Thursday I recieved a Recall letter from Toyota stating that my car was being recalled for the tail shaft centre bracket support problem and to check the bullbar mounts on the factory fitted bar, I booked it in with Frankston Toyota and yesterday they fitted the centre bracket support for the tailshaft and advised the bull bar mounts were fine.
I thought this centre support recall must be a new recall but after reading posts here saying 2010 I wonder why it took so long to send me the recall notice? Maybe they have had a few more incidents with this problem on cars that hadn't been pulled in 2 years ago... Ayway Its the best car I've ever owned and its seen plenty of dirt roads without giving any trouble. Best Wishes Jim :D
JIM

2005 SR5 DC
JimH

Postby 07luxyTD on Tue, 22 May 2012 4:25 +0000

JimH wrote:Hello All ! Jim here, I'm new to this forum, I bought a 2005 Dual Cab sr5 (petrol) about 3 years ago and it has had the bonnet strenthened plate fitted before I bought the car, But ony just last week on Thursday I recieved a Recall letter from Toyota stating that my car was being recalled for the tail shaft centre bracket support problem and to check the bullbar mounts on the factory fitted bar, I booked it in with Frankston Toyota and yesterday they fitted the centre bracket support for the tailshaft and advised the bull bar mounts were fine.
I thought this centre support recall must be a new recall but after reading posts here saying 2010 I wonder why it took so long to send me the recall notice? Maybe they have had a few more incidents with this problem on cars that hadn't been pulled in 2 years ago... Ayway Its the best car I've ever owned and its seen plenty of dirt roads without giving any trouble. Best Wishes Jim :D

I recieved a letter today stating that my centre shaft braket was to be replaced :x This campaign for the recall started in september 2010 why am i only now just receiving this recall letter?
"Lucky you weren't cut off by my stihl"

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13794
My Landcruiser Build http://www.newlandcruiser.net/phpbb/vie ... 90&start=0
07luxyTD

Postby jap on Tue, 22 May 2012 5:40 +0000

I've recieved probably my 3rd or 4th letter just the other day, no way I am letting the local dealership, let alone any other, touch the TRD.
They have no f$@#&% respect for vehicles, whether its theirs or not. I know thats a broad statement and there will be the rare few 'good' mechanics.
I inspect my crossmember regularly, no dramas yet.

f$@#&% them.
The Quickest TRD Hilux in Australia - 13.690 @ 100.56mph
True Bolt-On Power, Performance & Reliability

Traded for:

BT50 D/C 3.2l Auto - TJM Deluxe Bullbar - TJM Rear Step - TJM Canopy - Airtec Snorkel
jap

Postby Wing on Tue, 22 May 2012 7:58 +0000

I received the centre shaft bracket recalling letter today.
Wing

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls