ABS PROBLEM ON NEW 2010 SR5

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Postby tinners on Sun, 22 Aug 2010 6:30 +0000

New SR5 (May 2010 build) bought late June 2010. ABS light comes on intermittently. Returned to Toyota - RHS wheel sensor re-set. Next day ABS light on again. Returned to Toyota again - they needed it for a few days to get a new part from Melbourne ! After a few days, news that the wrong part was supplied .... they now need it for 4 weeks to get a part from Japan that is not even on the parts list in Japan ???!!!.
4 weeks off the road !! New SR5 ....... more time "off-road" than on it ... only problem is, the off-road = workshop!!
Has anyone experienced this problem ? Any positive outcome?
tinners

Re: ABS PROBLEM ON NEW 2010 SR5

Postby Big Red Truck on Sun, 22 Aug 2010 9:34 +0000

Can't say I've had the problem, but you should still be able to use the car, bearing in mind that you would still have normal braking, just no ABS.
A mate broke a section of his ABS wiring loom, and ordered the part and kept using the car until the part showed with no hassles.(just warning light on annoyed him)

Cheers, Mat
Big Red Truck

Postby Drew on Mon, 23 Aug 2010 7:31 +0000

why cant you drive the vehicle without the abs working ? Just remove the abs fuse. It would then be like an sr without abs.... bugger leaving it with them for that long
Im not stuck..... Im thinking
Drew

Postby EASTCOAST on Mon, 23 Aug 2010 7:43 +0000

The Standard at Toyota Is...... THE SALESMAN KNOWS EVERYTHING,,,,, (TILL YOU PAY)..WHEN THERES A PROBLEM THE SALESMAN IS AWAY AND NO ONE ELSE CAN WORK OUT OR EVEN LOOKAT THE PROBLEM......... IT SEEMS THAT THIS SYSTEM WORKS IN THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT ASWELL.....
******If you can ignore it its not a real problem******
EASTCOAST

Postby tinners on Mon, 23 Aug 2010 7:04 +0000

Thanks for the replies folks ! I don't intend to leave our brand new 'truck' there for that long. Toyota will have me sign their declaration that the vehicle should not be driven, but like you say, the brakes still work. They just want to cover themselves should there be a prang "because of no ABS".
By the way, I was told by the service dept today that the design of the ABS system has changed on the new models such as mine and the part (requiring a cable connecting the wheel sensor) is not available in Oz .... not even showing on the spare parts list. I don't get it, but am stuck with it for the time being.
Seems Toyota Japan have stuffed up somewhere along the line.
If it is of interest to anyone, I will keep you posted on the explanations / outcome.

By the way Mat, love the big red truck ........ same as mine ! Not many around in that colour (red ones go faster don't they ?!)
Cheers
Doug
tinners

Postby tinners on Fri, 27 Aug 2010 2:54 +0000

Progress so far ...... picked up my truck from the service dept to use until "the correct part arrives from Japan". Possibly 3 weeks away. Toyota will pay for the rental car we had this week and , to be a little fair to them, agreed to pay for the coming weeks, if we chose to stick with the rental (Hyundai i30). Not quite the same as an SR5 !!
tinners

Postby Big Red Truck on Fri, 27 Aug 2010 7:20 +0000

tinners wrote:Thanks for the replies folks ! I don't intend to leave our brand new 'truck' there for that long. Toyota will have me sign their declaration that the vehicle should not be driven, but like you say, the brakes still work. They just want to cover themselves should there be a prang "because of no ABS".
By the way, I was told by the service dept today that the design of the ABS system has changed on the new models such as mine and the part (requiring a cable connecting the wheel sensor) is not available in Oz .... not even showing on the spare parts list. I don't get it, but am stuck with it for the time being.
Seems Toyota Japan have stuffed up somewhere along the line.
If it is of interest to anyone, I will keep you posted on the explanations / outcome.

By the way Mat, love the big red truck ........ same as mine ! Not many around in that colour (red ones go faster don't they ?!)
Cheers
Doug

Cheers Doug,
Good to see that your dealer is helping you out anyway.
It's true too, red ones go faster :D
Big Red Truck

Postby berniecam on Thu, 09 Sep 2010 6:21 +0000

Cheers
Doug[/quote]

Cheers Doug,
Good to see that your dealer is helping you out anyway.
It's true too, red ones go faster :D[/quote]
"ABSOLUTELY" :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: CHEERS.
berniecam

Postby lnj007 on Fri, 10 Sep 2010 7:04 +0000

Hey Doug

I have the same problem. April 10 SR5. Every time i put the boat on it comes on. I switch the car off and oon and it goes. then when i break it comes back on. Took it to Toyota and they put it on the computer. They pressed some buttons and fixed it. Didnt come on for 2 weeks. then started again. took it to different and they wreckon nothing wrong. What has happend to good aussie service these days!!!!

im going to put the boat on and take it back again and show them.
lnj007

Postby tinners on Tue, 14 Sep 2010 7:23 +0000

Finally the required part arrived from Japan, a "speed sensor", that was fitted this a.m. to the left rear wheel. Used the truck for less than one hour today and the ABS light stayed off, so I am hoping that the problem is resolved.
Have a long trip coming up this weekend and I trust that all will be well.
Inj007 .... I hope that my experience with this problem is helpful for your situation. The service dept at my local dealer in Brisbane was helpful. If you still have a problem with your dealer, I can give you any information you may need.
Good Luck !
tinners

Postby TrentRyan on Sun, 17 Oct 2010 8:33 +0000

EASTCOAST wrote:The Standard at Toyota Is...... THE SALESMAN KNOWS EVERYTHING,,,,, (TILL YOU PAY)..WHEN THERES A PROBLEM THE SALESMAN IS AWAY AND NO ONE ELSE CAN WORK OUT OR EVEN LOOKAT THE PROBLEM......... IT SEEMS THAT THIS SYSTEM WORKS IN THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT ASWELL.....

Gold, that's been my experience with my new SR5 from north-point SA.
TrentRyan

Postby tinners on Mon, 18 Oct 2010 6:21 +0000

Hi TrentRyan... do I assume from your comment that you have the same ABS problem ? You would have the latest model I guess, same as mine. Annoying problem, particularly as the part "did not exist" on Toyota Japan's list somehow. All is well with mine now. Hope you get sorted out.
Now for the A/T oil light / temp problem !! Interested to hear if you have any issues.
Cheers
tinners

Postby TrentRyan on Fri, 22 Oct 2010 6:12 +0000

tinners wrote:Hi TrentRyan... do I assume from your comment that you have the same ABS problem ? You would have the latest model I guess, same as mine. Annoying problem, particularly as the part "did not exist" on Toyota Japan's list somehow. All is well with mine now. Hope you get sorted out.
Now for the A/T oil light / temp problem !! Interested to hear if you have any issues.
Cheers

Hi, no ABS problem yet, I was stating I had experienced similar sales service. I am however having A/T over temp problems when towing. I'm in discussions currently about having a TransCooler fitted.
TrentRyan

Postby TrentRyan on Fri, 22 Oct 2010 6:15 +0000

lnj007 wrote:Hey Doug

I have the same problem. April 10 SR5. Every time i put the boat on it comes on. I switch the car off and oon and it goes. then when i break it comes back on. Took it to Toyota and they put it on the computer. They pressed some buttons and fixed it. Didnt come on for 2 weeks. then started again. took it to different and they wreckon nothing wrong. What has happend to good aussie service these days!!!!

im going to put the boat on and take it back again and show them.

Best of luck. My experience is nothing happens until u ring and speak to the Service Manager and formally complain. Then they start taking it more seriously. Seems the SOP is send them away with nothing is wrong and hopefully they won't come back!!
TrentRyan

Postby moitle on Sun, 11 Mar 2012 1:36 +0000

I've had my tgn16r '05 for 3.5 yrs , the rear left wheel bearing was worn out when i got it at 67000, fixed by dealer for nix , water pump started leaking at 70000, $300.00, airbag light came on at 96000,fixed by toyota under lifetime warranty as they have to, beauty, clutch has been shuddering since i bought it , not too bad when hot , 2nd gear sincro is less than good as well, i have learnt to drive it gently though, so much for unbreakable , these Thai made luxes seem to have too much going wrong with them i reckon , i had a 1994 22r for eight years and never a problem only a clutch in about 200000 k's thats why i bought this one , these don't even have intermitent wipers ( wow cheap) thats an easy fix though , just change the switch ,20 mins yourself. if not for Nowra Toyota it would have cost me heaps for things that shouldn't have gone wrong anyway . All in all it's effectivly turned me right off Toyota I have to say,if they don't do better they might lose thier market share when people realise what they're like , but that's just my opinion. Moitle
moitle

Postby aandy on Sun, 11 Mar 2012 1:57 +0000

I reckon I could flog out any car by 67000kms, I just need some sucker that will buy it of me at the end.

Worn out wheel bearing(minor issue anyway), worn out synchro, worn out clutch, mate I would have walked down the street and found the next hilux for sale.

It sounds like you bought a car that already had some issues then just got a few more little ones along the way,
aandy

Postby moitle on Mon, 12 Mar 2012 5:31 +0000

aandy mate i agree with everything you say , you sure you didn't own this one before me ? i sure feel like a sucker and i'll probably have to walk down the road because the lux may not make it but i dont think it will be to buy another hilux . reading through the forum most of them seem to have similar probs at around the same mileage now they are made in thailand dont they. moitle
moitle

Return to Warranty/Recalls