Airbag clock spring

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Airbag clock spring

Postby Curt Turtle on Sun, 17 Oct 2010 1:25 +0000

I had the clock spring replaced under a lifetime Toyota warranty. Dont any of you out there pay for this. I talked to Toyota directly and dealerships are required to contact Toyota and perform this under warranty. failure to do this can lead to them loosing there licence.
~Of all the things I have lost,
I miss my mind the most.
Curt Turtle

Postby MADDOG on Sun, 17 Oct 2010 6:31 +0000

I just typed and deleted my post so many times that I feel sick......................................... :x :x :x
MADDOG

Postby Sambarlux on Wed, 27 Oct 2010 5:07 +0000

Had my A/B light come on a couple of months back,"05 model with 120K on clock.Fixed within 24hrs and no charge even though well out of warranty,DO NOT pay for this repair as it is on Toyota. Now looks like injector trouble,getting p'd off with it all. My old 2.8 did nearly 300k before I sold it and never missed a beat.Are Toyotas still reliable?
Sambarlux

Postby oldrev on Mon, 15 Nov 2010 5:33 +0000

getting the airbag light issue sorted tomorrow under warranty 178000 k's.
i dont know where the offending parts lives in the vehicle but tech told me they get dust in them and craps up the contacts
apparently
cheers
ken
oldrev

Postby gjohnson on Fri, 03 Dec 2010 11:35 +0000

I have my lux in getting 110,000 service and recall done and i asked them to check why my airbag light has been on for the last few days.
Good old clock spring, "seeing as your out of warranty it will be $710".
I told them there is no way I am paying a cent for this common problem when I am only 10,000 ks and 3 mths out of warranty.
They are now putting in a request to toyota for an out of warranty repair. Talk about stealers!!
Cheers Greg.
gjohnson

Postby Chancha_Blanca on Fri, 17 Dec 2010 6:23 +0000

Sent a letter to TMCA explaining my disapointment with the Air Bag Light drama.
Replied 14 days later asking to take the ute to a dealership and they will asses the case. Got the tailshaft recall done 2 weeks ago and got the Clock Spring fix on wednesday... free of charge and the ute warranty end Sept 2009.Ill drink to that now :lol:
Without Trucks, Australia Stops, Without Hilux, the World Stops!
Chancha_Blanca

Postby Higherlux on Thu, 06 Jan 2011 12:31 +0000

Light came on, booked it in next day; out of warranty by 24000kms, and replaced at no cost by Toyota. I did mention my friends here who had similar experirnce and they didn't bat an eyelid! "no worries, we'll take care of it" was all that was said. Stoked! Thanks to the man at Terry Shields Granville. A rare opportunity to say what a pleasant interaction this was.
Higherlux

Postby hilux xcab on Thu, 17 Feb 2011 2:32 +0000

Higherlux wrote:Light came on, booked it in next day; out of warranty by 24000kms, and replaced at no cost by Toyota. I did mention my friends here who had similar experirnce and they didn't bat an eyelid! "no worries, we'll take care of it" was all that was said. Stoked! Thanks to the man at Terry Shields Granville. A rare opportunity to say what a pleasant interaction this was.

same here great service by Echuca Toyota and thank for the heads up
cheers craig
hilux xcab

Postby jakelux on Tue, 22 Feb 2011 4:38 +0000

Mine is going in Monday (2005 120'000 km,s) to get this done free of charge!! Really good to see Toyota comin to town on this one. :D
jakelux

Postby phat_allen on Sat, 05 Mar 2011 7:58 +0000

Terry shields at granville looks like the way to go... told me to bring in car and will apply to toyota for an out of warranty repair. Was also told it is a known problem to toyota and will most likley come to the party.
Cheers,
Chris
phat_allen

Postby mrtk on Tue, 19 Apr 2011 6:01 +0000

i have finally finished reading this entire topic and it seems to look like a very common problem.
my airbag light started intermittently switching on at about the 100k km mark. maybe sooner.
then it stayed on. so my next service (110k km 29 may 2009), i took it into toyota and they reported on my invoice:

"FOUND AIRBAG SPIRAL CABLE REQUIRES REPLACING WILL CONTACT OWNER AS SOON AS TOYOTA GET BACK TO US."

when i picked up my car that time they said it would cost me something like $700 or so. i thought bugger that, so i asked them if the air bag was likely to go off? they said no it was disabled. so i left it for a time that i had more money (which this time still hasn't come).

i read most of this topic here yesterday and got all inspired to re-consult my toyota service center on this issue, so i went in today and had a chat. i got a strong impression they didn't like me and all they tried to do was bullsht their way out of it. all i got out of them is that basically to get them to fix it -i have to pay. :x

so i'm back where i started, and i don't trust this particular toyota service center enough to go back there again.
my plan of attack is to try a couple more toyota service centers in my city and if that fails i guess ill do it myself with one off ebay (i saw one for about $160). unless anyone has any other ideas???
i will let you all know how i go.
TK
mrtk

Postby jakelux on Tue, 19 Apr 2011 6:11 +0000

mrtk wrote:i have finally finished reading this entire topic and it seems to look like a very common problem.
my airbag light started intermittently switching on at about the 100k km mark. maybe sooner.
then it stayed on. so my next service (110k km 29 may 2009), i took it into toyota and they reported on my invoice:

"FOUND AIRBAG SPIRAL CABLE REQUIRES REPLACING WILL CONTACT OWNER AS SOON AS TOYOTA GET BACK TO US."

when i picked up my car that time they said it would cost me something like $700 or so. i thought bugger that, so i asked them if the air bag was likely to go off? they said no it was disabled. so i left it for a time that i had more money (which this time still hasn't come).

i read most of this topic here yesterday and got all inspired to re-consult my toyota service center on this issue, so i went in today and had a chat. i got a strong impression they didn't like me and all they tried to do was bullsht their way out of it. all i got out of them is that basically to get them to fix it -i have to pay. :x

so i'm back where i started, and i don't trust this particular toyota service center enough to go back there again.
my plan of attack is to try a couple more toyota service centers in my city and if that fails i guess ill do it myself with one off ebay (i saw one for about $160). unless anyone has any other ideas???
i will let you all know how i go.

Don't pay for it mate!
Like you said go to at least a couple of other dealers. If they are still stiff print out a few pages off this to show them.
Call or email Toyota head office about your problem, ask them why they are doing it for most people out of warranty but not you!!..
jakelux

Postby Kris on Wed, 25 May 2011 5:05 +0000

My airbag light came on a couple of weeks ago. Took it to the dealership in Gladstone QLD and once they checked it over and sent and received an email to toyota australia about it they agreed to fix it at no cost to me.

Oh what a feeling............ :o
If I had a dog that looked like him, I'd shave it's arse and make it walk backwards.
Kris

Postby Bradlze on Thu, 26 May 2011 8:44 +0000

anybody have a copy of what they have sent toyota in regards to the clock spring problem?
Bradlze

Postby bobdid on Sun, 29 May 2011 2:51 +0000

Gents,
If you are smart??? If. your air bag light comes on and you want to confirm that it is your "Clock Spring" before the goofs at toyota look at it and say it is another issue, try tooting the horn. If the horn no work clock spring U/S.

If horn work the issue is else where. Toyota have trained all tecnicians in this prosedure to annilise the issue. The clock spring earths the horn as well as the SRS air bags system.

Good luck, as it took Toyota 19 months to work it out, and one aussie auto elect to tell them.

Rod
DISCLAIMER;
This disclaimer does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my friends, or my dog: don't quote me on anything, disclaimer is subject to change without notice, resemblance to persons, living or dead, is unintentional.
bobdid

Postby mrtk on Tue, 31 May 2011 7:53 +0000

bobdid wrote:Gents,
If you are smart??? If. your air bag light comes on and you want to confirm that it is your "Clock Spring" before the goofs at toyota look at it and say it is another issue, try tooting the horn. If the horn no work clock spring U/S.

If horn work the issue is else where. Toyota have trained all tecnicians in this prosedure to annilise the issue. The clock spring earths the horn as well as the SRS air bags system.

Good luck, as it took Toyota 19 months to work it out, and one aussie auto elect to tell them.

Rod

This contradicts my situation mr. Bobdid.

My Toyota report clearly states that the spiral cable needs replacing (and I believe this is true but cannot proove it), but my horn works fine. And always has.

My problem may be somewhere else then. Would it be worth my while to remove the unit to test it with a multi meter???

Has anyone else had this horn fault simultaneously with the spiral cable fault???
TK
mrtk

Airbag clock spring

Postby Mattya on Tue, 31 May 2011 9:32 +0000

I've replaced well over 20 clock springs and I don't think I've come across one yet where the horn won't work. However I will look into this.
Im Always On The Edge, It Only The Sharpness That Varys.
Mattya
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jimO on Wed, 01 Jun 2011 2:56 +0000

my horn worked when the clockspring was broken
jimO

Postby dannyboy1 on Thu, 02 Jun 2011 7:02 +0000

My horn worked as well when the clock spring was broken
dannyboy1

Postby tea4chew on Mon, 06 Jun 2011 7:54 +0000

Just had the clock spring replaced on my 2005 with 184000 on the clock, at no cost to me as an out of warranty repair.

A HUGE thanks to all those who run/contribute to this site because without it, I'm sure I would have been up for a nasty repair bill. If Toyota hadn't come to the party I feel confident I could have fixed it myself, for the cost of the part, with the help of the resources on this site anyway.

Also, must say Toyota was fantastic, there was not the slightest argument or delay. One phonecall, dropped the ute in, 5 hrs later job was done.

Thanks again, Lien
tea4chew

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls