Airbag clock spring

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Airbag clock spring

Postby matty87 on Thu, 15 Jul 2010 9:12 +0000

Ox Man wrote:Correct SHaker.

The point is, the light is a visual indicator that something is a miss.

If DOTARS and Toyota are happy to claim, it could be this, and could be that rather than replace it, they are playing with fire.

as mentioned earlier, ask the service manager (not the consultant/advisor) to put it in writing, explaining why he should not put in an out of warranty exemption, then send this to DOTARS, as a refusal to repair a design flaw at no cost to you.

It is possible your consultant was not down on the legal implications that can arise out of this.

i think half the time the consultants dont really know a great deal about certain things. its not really their job so why should they also how often would people come in that actually know what is going on and stick up for themselves. the service manager is always the way to go.
a glorious lack of sophistication
matty87

Postby hendoshane on Tue, 20 Jul 2010 1:02 +0000

Just wanted to let people in Brisbane know I just had my clock-spring replaced at 78 500km in out-of-warranty claim at Southside Toyota on Logan Road at Mount Gravatt.

No questions asked, when I rang up to book it in with the SRS light on they said it's probably the clock spring and will probably be replaced free of charge. Dropped it off this morning and just picked it up, no charge. :D

And to think I'd been worried for days about possibly having to argue with the dealer or pay the $500-$700 to have it done. Also found this on ebay for those who aren't able to get it done under warranty

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toyota-Hilux-KD1 ... 1872wt_911
hendoshane

Postby Shaker on Thu, 22 Jul 2010 7:47 +0000

That's cheap! probably better than genuine at the rate their breaking.
Shaker

Postby BEN_SR on Fri, 30 Jul 2010 8:20 +0000

Had the dreaded airbag light come up on the dash. So i took it into my local dealer to get it checked out today (I assumed it would be the clock spring after reading a few posts on the forum) and lo and behold it was the clock spring. The service manager recommended that I get it fixed straight away, and quoted me a sum near $700 to fix it. Nah she'll be right (for $700 i'm willing to wait).

My hilux is nearly 4 years old, with 135,000 on the clock, so I know for sure that it is out of warranty. I stipulated to the service manager about it being a common problem on the current hilux and that people were getting it fixed with Toyota picking up the bill by filling out an "out of warranty claim". The bloke wouldnt have a bar of it, and kept saying that my car was out of warranty and there was nothing I could do to get toyota to pay for it. Said he didnt even know about an "out of warranty claim". :evil:

What are my options? I see you can purchase a new clock spring online. Can you fit them yourself without specific toyota tools or encountering major dramas? Obviously setting off an airbag is not a good idea, but i'm usually pretty good with the tools.

I am happy to try another dealer, so if anyone knows an Adelaide dealer who is pretty reasonable, i would be happy to give them a call.

Cheers,
Ben
BEN_SR

Postby Shaker on Fri, 30 Jul 2010 8:40 +0000

Ben, I can't say I've pulled one apart, but this is what i was saying earlier, it's another Hilux on the road with no driver air bag, waiting to get fixed.

Personally I'd buy one from ebay as linked in this thread and fit it myself as I think I'm savy enough had alway find patience to do it. It wouldn't be difficult. I would assume the wind-down of the spring would be only enough so as at full steering lock the spring wouldn't touch the outer housing with some amount of clearance. There should be install instructions when you buy it anyway otherwise there would be a diagram in the Hilux manual.

Shouldn't be difficult, but others would not bother and pay the full Toyota price.

Shaker.
Shaker

Postby Tom McCallum on Tue, 03 Aug 2010 12:43 +0000

My airbag light came on half way accross the Simpson, today I took the vehicle to my local Toyota Dealer to get it checked out. Turns out it was the clock spring, it cost me $669 to get it fixed. After reading the posts on this thread , I rang that transport infrastucture mob, and the person I talked to claimed he'd never heard of any ongoing warranty claim on Toyota for these clocksprings, he suggested that I talk to Toyota. Toyota feined suprise an d suggested that I ask the dealer about putting in an out of warranty claim, the dealer aggreed to do this but expressed great doubt as to whether Toyota would come to the party, he denied to me that this was a common defect, yet when I booked the vehicle in the service person that I spoke to said it was probably the clockspring. The trouble is that the vehicle is basically unroadworthy if the airbag light is on and in NSW you need an inspection before you can re-register your vehicle. I even tried ringing the department of fair trading and the NRMA, I got the same story; if the vehicle is out of warranty then Toyota are not obliged to repair the airbag.
Tom McCallum

Postby Yawhae on Wed, 04 Aug 2010 5:43 +0000

Noticed the airbag warning light come on in the dash the other day, at roughly 87k's on my 05 hilux. First time it happened i shrugged it off. Next time i drove it didn't come on at all, but the 3rd time 4th time ect. It came on after about 5-10mins roughly when the engine was at temperature. Stayed on until i turned off the engine then when i turned it back on roughly 5 mins later it would come on again.

I searched every where on the net to see what the problem could be. Found out everyone was having the same problem with their hilux and seemed almost to common to not be the problem. People paid anywhere from $400 - $850 to get it replaced.

As my hilux has never being serviced by the log book, due to it been owned by a mining company. I called Toyota asked them what the problem may be, as usual the receptionist has no clue so I booked it in for a major service and asked if they could just look at it.

So on Monday dropped it off at Toyota Kedron in Brisbane in the morning. At around 12ish I got a call from Toyota saying "We have found that the wire that connects the airbag to the impact sensor behind the dash has become faulty and will be replaced for free under an out of warranty service.

Heres the proof...
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/3791/imgxt.jpg

No clue on how to upload image.

Don't let them rip you off for this.
Yawhae

Postby BEN_SR on Sun, 08 Aug 2010 3:54 +0000

Hey lads,

Just an update on my case of the airbag light woes.

I was in Adelaide for work, and I managed to get onto a dealer there and get the whole thing sorted fully under warranty no hassle at all.

Pays to shop around for a good dealer.

Good Job toyota.
BEN_SR

Postby Viper82 on Sun, 08 Aug 2010 4:29 +0000

BEN_SR wrote:Hey lads,

I was in Adelaide for work, and I managed to get onto a dealer there and get the whole thing sorted fully under warranty no hassle at all.

Good Job toyota.

was it a cmi dealer? I have found them to be pretty good?
Viper82

Postby BEN_SR on Sun, 08 Aug 2010 7:27 +0000

Viper82 wrote:
BEN_SR wrote:Hey lads,

Good Job toyota.

was it a cmi dealer? I have found them to be pretty good?

Nah mate it was'nt a CMI dealer. They were my next port of call though as I have heard the same thing.
BEN_SR

Postby MADDOG on Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:21 +0000

I just picked one up off ebay for $160 delivered from Thailand.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-TOYOTA-HILUX ... 0545472132

I'll let you know if it's the real deal or not. :?
MADDOG

Postby Steve9R on Mon, 30 Aug 2010 4:03 +0000

why didnt you bother with a toyota dealer Joel ?
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby MADDOG on Mon, 30 Aug 2010 5:38 +0000

I did and they weren't interested in any out of warranty claim. The guy even said 9 times out of 10 the airbag light means the clock spring is broken. So he knows it's a problem, but because my Hilux is four and half years old with 133000km on it, it's my problem. They would fix it for $550 plus labour. After 10 minutes of constantly being butted in on by both the service guy and the parts guy I'll told them the were a pair of c#%ts and they can go and get f&#ked and walked out. So now I'll sort it out myself and won't be going back there. I'll just drive further to get my parts from now on. :evil: :evil: :evil:
MADDOG

Postby Actilux on Mon, 30 Aug 2010 5:57 +0000

MADDOG wrote:I did and they weren't interested in any out of warranty claim. The guy even said 9 times out of 10 the airbag light means the clock spring is broken. So he knows it's a problem, but because my Hilux is four and half years old with 133000km on it, it's my problem. They would fix it for $550 plus labour. After 10 minutes of constantly being butted in on by both the service guy and the parts guy I'll told them the were a pair of c#%ts and they can go and get f&#ked and walked out. So now I'll sort it out myself and won't be going back there. I'll just drive further to get my parts from now on. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Good on you mate, i'm having the same problem with the dealers. Let us know how it goes, if it works out i'll pick one up for my rig.
Actilux

Postby Ox Man on Tue, 31 Aug 2010 8:26 +0000

you could try printing off these posts with numbers of those who have got the out of warranty claim and throw it at them....
"These words carry so much weight they would break a less awesome mans jaw..."
Ox Man

Postby MADDOG on Mon, 13 Sep 2010 2:38 +0000

I replaced mine myself on the weekend. Here's the link to my install. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7180&p=95002#p95002
MADDOG

Postby Mal.W on Wed, 29 Sep 2010 5:46 +0000

Had my Clock spring break a week ago. 2007 D4D with 110,000 on the clock, out of warranty by 5 months

Rang Toyota Australia today, told them the story, I was told to call my local Dealer and discuss an "out of warranty claim"
They would then ring Toyota Australia who would authorise the repair.

No problems, I will have the clock sping, tailshaft recall and bullbar recall done at the same time.
So far pretty happy with the service

Cheers

Mal
Mal.W

Postby HAMMY7 on Mon, 04 Oct 2010 9:53 +0000

HI DAN
HAD SAME PROBLEM WITH A/BAG LIGHT ON MY OLD SR5 X/CAB 11/2005 AT 102,000 KLM IN APRIL THIS YEAR DEALER N/POINT TOYOTA ENFIELD S.A REPAIRED UNDER WARRANTY NO CHARGE AS THEY TOLD ME IT WAS A COMMON PROBLEM. THE FIX WAS THE WIRE CABLE FROM THE S/WHEEL A/BAG THROUGH STEERING COLUMN FAILS AN BRINGS ON THE WARNING LIGHT. DROVE UTE FOR THREE WEEKS UNTIL PART ARRIVED FOR FIX.SINCE TRADED IN FOR NEW SR5 V6 X/CAB DELIVERED IN JUNE 10 ORDERED IN DEC 09 WITH NO PROBLEMS AS YET.OTHER THAN NORMAL SERVICES OLD UTE WAS GREAT WITH NO TROUBLE.
REGARDS
HAMMY
HAMMY7

Postby Curt Turtle on Mon, 04 Oct 2010 10:02 +0000

After having the recall done on my hilux, the dealer tried to charge me for the recall. And I told them ill have a word with the ACCC in regards to it. They quickly backed done and didn't charge me. I have since booked my hilux in with the clock spring issue saying that the light came up directly after the recall and they instant sh@t themselves and said they will fix it under warranty even thought the car is well past its warranty.
The recall was on the one just recently passed, but they also had a recall notice on my bullbar couplings. I don't know if you guys and girls have come across this recall.
Amazing how dodgy some places can be if they think they can make money off you.
~Of all the things I have lost,
I miss my mind the most.
Curt Turtle

Postby bluelux on Mon, 04 Oct 2010 12:16 +0000

The clockspring in my 05 hilux went a few weeks ago and was told it would cost about $650 to fix as my extended warranty had ran out by 5000 kms. When i went down to book it in i spoke to a different chick behind the desk and she said she will get onto it and see if toyota will fix it, a week later it she rang and said toyota will fix it, u beaudy. If i had talked to anyone else at the shop i would be out $650, so it pays to ask different staff as some know more than others.
bluelux

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls