warranty on 9 year paint

What were your warranty claims and recall information

warranty on 9 year paint

Postby tazmancrash on Tue, 30 Jun 2015 2:03 +0000

Hey there all
I bought a 06 4wd double cab sr5 in minca red 6 weeks ago. I gave it a hand wash on the weekend and spotted some white marks in the paint. The local dealer (north shore Toyota) think it's a defect in the factory paint. I have talked to the dealer I brought the truck from (Pacific Toyota) and they haven't gotten back to me.
I was expecting some stone chips but not this. These also a spot of rust coming though on the roof.
I got a 3 year warranty when I got the truck.
I've had a panel beater look at it and both the bonnet and roof will need to be resprayed.
Also there is a 20mm twist in the rear bumper. I haven't hit any thing because it has revising sensors.
Any ideas on how I can get this done under warranty?
Thanks guys
tazmancrash

Re: warranty on 9 year paint

Postby aandy on Tue, 30 Jun 2015 2:43 +0000

Unless you can find a photo of a toyota boss half dressed with an underage child I would say you have no chance in the world.
It is a 9 year old car with an unknown history, damaged paint and bent bumpers are standard.
aandy

Postby Steveyb on Tue, 30 Jun 2015 4:23 +0000

^^ what he said, If you can get that paint sorted under warranty let me know and I'll use it as a precedent to have several things sorted out.

20mm twist in a bumper is very good! i've seen sardine cans with more structural integrity.
NLC
Steveyb

Postby hylux on Tue, 30 Jun 2015 4:26 +0000

I have heard there was an issue with metallic paint where the clear coat failed on a lot of different cars. The ACCC got involved and manufacturers had to change the type of clear coat they use as it was not "fit for Purpose". I cant recall when this took place but may be worth waving in their face ( bluff). Panel beaters now offer lifetime warranty on the paint work, maybe you could ask the panel beater about what I am saying.

The rust spots on the roof I have seen something like this before and it was caused by someone using a hacksaw to trim roof racks and the hot filings melting into the paint so they may throw that back at you.

Good luck as mentioned you didn't purchase new so no service history
I love hybrid cars - means more fuel for me
hylux

Postby Kizzzaaa on Tue, 30 Jun 2015 7:04 +0000

Mines 8 years old in metallic black and the bonnet and top of cab is half white. (Clearcoat failure)
A friend has told me that theres been talk that toyota has been repainting vehicles at their expense because of this issue.
I am yet to contact toyota but im interested in your response because im not keen on forking out $$$$ to paint the whole cab.
Kizzzaaa

Postby tazmancrash on Wed, 01 Jul 2015 1:24 +0000

The rust spot on the roof is a stone chip I think. I wasn't expecting to have to get to panels resprayed after paying $30000 on a vehicle. If I spent that kind of money on a echo it would be in mint condition.
Just pissing me off.
tazmancrash

Postby chuss on Mon, 06 Jul 2015 1:48 +0000

You'll have a chance with statutory warranty as opposed to vehicle paint warranty.
Australian law states that something is deemed to be in warranty period based on the nature, cost, design and complexity of the product.
Ie, you buy a pen for 25c from staples, claiming after a 5 year period that the ink run out after you used it everyday won't have a chance in court.
But claiming on a TV 6 years after purchase which you paid $9K for has a chance (even though it only came with a 2 year warranty).
So a $50K car might have a chance, but you'll have to prove that it's a defect from manufacture and not your own fault (wear and tear, damage, acid rain, industrial fall-out, etc).

Good luck.
I successfully claimed on a Landcruiser 7 years after purchase for rust spots on the inside weld join between the window frame and the door frame. There was a slight crack and rust spot. After several photos, emails, phone calls and arguments I successfully proved it wasn't my own fault (as I didn't use the door to hang the washing on or winch from) and wear and tear wasn't applicable in this instance.

So it can be done.
chuss

Postby tazmancrash on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 2:56 +0000

So a update.
Drove to Tauranga and back today. 5 hour round trip.
Had a meeting with the branch manager and the panel beater. They have agreed to fix the rust sports on the roof and replace the rear bumper. I've also noticed that the rear tail gate is twisted. There fixing this too. As for the marks on the bonnet and roof, no. There saying that it's wear and tear.
I have found out that before it was on the lot it had $1800 spent on it at the panel beaters. They sprayed the wellside and 3 doors. But they some how missed all this.
tazmancrash

Postby baldy69181 on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 3:35 +0000

unreal i hope toyota warranty is that good to me as i have just purchased a 2014. Excellent result
baldy69181

warranty on 9 year paint

Postby Alby on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 5:21 +0000

Just for clarity this work is being done by the used car division of the dealer not a claim with Toyota Motor Company?
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Richolux150 on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 8:52 +0000

My mate got his 2003 Triton resprayed on warranty a couple of years ago....only the top half where the metallic blue paint had started to blister and peel......
Cheers Richo
If cat turds were Gold nuggets, I'd be the richest bloke on the block... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richolux150

Postby tazmancrash on Sun, 26 Jul 2015 9:36 +0000

Alby wrote:Just for clarity this work is being done by the used car division of the dealer not a claim with Toyota Motor Company?

Yes. The branch manager tried all the bs frist. Told me that commercial vehicles are not brought up to the same standards as passage cars.
tazmancrash

Return to Warranty/Recalls