2012 Engine Failure - warranty claim rejected

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: 2012 Engine Failure - warranty claim rejected

Postby Wazza80 on Fri, 20 Jun 2014 8:03 +0000

Easier to go to another dealer mate and give them the money. Some dealers are fitting them to vehicles
Wazza80

Postby -Rosco- on Fri, 20 Jun 2014 10:08 +0000

BIGFOOTJR wrote:I would be talking to Toyota HQ as each dealer has their own idea or no idea, whatever it is you won't get a straight answer from the dealer.

and get them to send it to you in writing. Verbal means diddly squat these days.
-Rosco-

Postby kickinback on Tue, 29 Jul 2014 7:32 +0000

What ever happened to the original poster?
kickinback

Postby sean468 on Tue, 16 Sep 2014 8:59 +0000

Maybe Toyota paid someone to "silence" him :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sean468

Postby Talktheroo on Fri, 26 Sep 2014 5:25 +0000

Luxi46 wrote:
Talktheroo wrote:Alby, it's just all marketing

Talktheroo wrote:Engine oils actually have got better over the years.

On the one hand you say it's all marketing, and then you go on to explain that engine technology and oils have actually gotten better. If engine oils and technology have really gotten better (which I agree with), would that not be the reason why Toyota can recommend longer service intervals instead of having to resort to marketing? My lux is a 2007 UK diesel, and I've followed the recommended oil service intervals of 10.000 k's, without trouble so far. The marketing arguement sounds a bit weak to me. Solely because from a marketing point of view, it doesn't make sense to market your engine to be serviced at 10.000 k's, only to have it fail in customers' hands way earlier. That opens a company up to law-suits.

And also, why are you mentioning the EGR as being there to filter out the soot in the oil?
- Firstly, the EGR system isn't down in the sump.
- Secondly, the EGR's purpose is to bring NOx levels down. Toyota's implementation by nature actually re-introduces soot into the system.
- Thirdly, the DPF is in the exhaust system, after the catalytic converter**. It's purpose is to filter diesel particulates to prevent them being blown out into the air we breathe. How is it helping to keep engine oil clean?

** edited the location of the DPF for better clarity -

There is no recycling of the gas, soot, NOxs, or the oil residue that comes back with the gas, Marvin. It gets burned up by the element in the system.
How are you going with your case, anyway?
I should probably read the whole thread from 2013.
Catch you later, John.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby Talktheroo on Fri, 26 Sep 2014 7:15 +0000

Hellbound wrote:What id like to know is why the prado d4d which is the same engine but has more power and torque yet doesnt crack / melt pistons. I guess its not so much about the total power produced but the way it is achieved i.e. cheap fuel pressure only chips etc

Hmmm.... many problems in the Prado 120 area. Basically, the same as what's going on with the Hiluxes.
While the KDJ120 is similar, they are not the same engine, especially with the fuel delivery system.
The Hilux models run hotter because the coolant system is different and the capacity is smaller. Almost, by 2L in coolant. The turbos are different too, same as the sump design.
With fuels, Australia does produce pretty good quality diesel fuel. The only thing to look for, is that you use above 48 cetane diesel fuels, which is BP or Shell in the brands.
Australia doesn't have bad quality diesel fuel.
As much as you don't want to hear it, and I don't want to say it on this forum, there are some engineering short falls with the 1KD-FTV versions, found in the Hiluxes, and the Prado 120 models.
Namely, the seats, especially in the older models,

Old and new Toyota seats.
The new coated seats have not fixed this problem completely. My advise, is to change out the new designed seats, at least every 80,000kms. The best seats on the market today, present day, is the BDG manufactured seats. They stick like poo to a blanket.

BDG seat on the right, the nice shiny one.
Get rid of any old copper seats in these engines, like straight away.

The other main problem, is the injectors themselves, having a spindle set up instead of a two way valve (TWV). All Robert Bosch CRD injectors have the TWV set up.

The spindle and the top part of the Denso injector.

The spindle area. This is the area that wears and causes the injector solenoid to fail.

The shaft area, and where the spindle shaft sits in position. This is wear happens, as well.
The other area of concern is the clogging up of the EGR system and the intake components.

A catch can will go a long way in fixing this problem.

Mann Hummel Provent 200 installed on a KDJ120 Prado.
The Roo.
Last edited by Talktheroo on Fri, 26 Sep 2014 7:56 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Talktheroo

Postby singlespeed on Fri, 26 Sep 2014 7:19 +0000

^You have convinced me to get one straight away. (Provent that is.)
2014 Hilux SR5 D4D 5A Grey w/ Blk Leather

Disclaimer:
My opinion is the opposite of your opinion, even if you change your opinion to my opinion.
singlespeed

Postby Talktheroo on Fri, 26 Sep 2014 7:50 +0000

At least in Brisbane, with fixed price servicing, there has been a number of vehicles that I have seen, that have not been serviced as per the service booklet. Like, a large percentage of vehicles, actually.
The biggest concern has been the valve clearance service or valve clearance checks. This check or service simply has not been done on most vehicles serviced by most Toyota Service Centres, as I said, at least in Brisbane.
Why is this such a problem for me? Well, this means that injector seats and seals have not been changed out in all of these vehicles, especially in the earlier model vehicles which have the old copper seats in them.
Almost all of these vehicles that I work on, have, at least, the beginnings of the condition called blow by. Blow by rights off blocks, plain and simple fact of life.
It's pretty easy to prevent this condition, by doing the service properly, and that's with a feeler gauge for the gaps, and by changing out the seats in these vehicles.
As I do, if this is explained to your customers, they will do the service. It's that simple, really, it is.
If I may make a suggestion to all service centres in the Brisbane area. If you tick one of the boxes in the service book, on whatever service you are doing, make sure you have done that service or check.
If you don't, at the very least, it's misleading behaviour, and, at the most, fraud.
I am actually looking for a client of mine that will lay the charges against one of you, and sooner or later, this will happen.
It makes me angry as hell, this practice, and some of the work that I have had to fix up is beyond believe.
There is a whole history of it, that I have documented well.
So, how about you get your acts together, and do the right thing, as you were supposed to, as in your training.
Have you forgotten this, the four year thing? I think it's called doing a trade.
The Roo.
Talktheroo

Postby Hellbound on Sat, 04 Oct 2014 8:11 +0000

Same here in Perth Roo - no injector seat changes and no proper valve inspections... All service boxes are ticked as done of course tho :evil:
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby tonyp on Sat, 04 Oct 2014 9:57 +0000

@ Talktheroo, is there any non dealers on the Gold Coast you could recommend ?

My 2010 is just out of its three year warranty and looking for a friend. I had a fuel light come on, bought a genuine Toyota filter and took it to another mechanic when he changed it out he stated it looked like it have never been changed !
Wasn't happy when he said that, this was at 70,000 Klm.

Thanks Tony
2010 sr5 diesel
tonyp

Postby Unluckyalf on Sat, 04 Oct 2014 11:24 +0000

I dont believe fuel filter replacement is part of the maintenance schedule anymore. I had mine changed recently because the fuel light came on and was told (by a Toyota main dealer) that that is the only time they get replaced.
Having said that, the very next service it went in for, fuel filter was one of the things they marked as having replaced (whether they actually did i have no idea).
Unluckyalf

Postby Talktheroo on Fri, 10 Oct 2014 9:42 +0000

Unluckyalf wrote:I dont believe fuel filter replacement is part of the maintenance schedule anymore. I had mine changed recently because the fuel light came on and was told (by a Toyota main dealer) that that is the only time they get replaced.
Having said that, the very next service it went in for, fuel filter was one of the things they marked as having replaced (whether they actually did i have no idea).

You can go on believing them, if you want.
I see a lot of vehicles vandalised by these types of people in the industry.
One of my arguments is, these sorts of people should not even be in the industry. Why you may asked? Well, they simply don't care about your vehicle, it's that simple, really, it is.
Using the KISS theory, the fuel filter, or any filter for that matter, is your protection against foreign material/-s getting into the system, especially when it comes to the fuel delivery system.
It just makes common sense to keep the fuel filters fresh, and that is all.
The Roo.
Talktheroo

Postby dervdave on Fri, 10 Oct 2014 10:19 +0000

Unluckyalf wrote:I dont believe fuel filter replacement is part of the maintenance schedule anymore.

It isnt and is only replaced as and when the solid (not flashing) filter light comes on indicating its full.
2013 3.0d Invincible
dervdave

Postby GazaShaggy on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 10:34 +0000

dervdave wrote:
Unluckyalf wrote:I dont believe fuel filter replacement is part of the maintenance schedule anymore.

It isnt and is only replaced as and when the solid (not flashing) filter light comes on indicating its full.

I have a 2012 SR and it is part of the 40,000km service I'm not sure when they changed it but they have changed it.
My Build Up http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18525
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it!
GazaShaggy

Postby Hellbound on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 11:21 +0000

I think youll find they only actually change it for petrol only models every 40k
Hellbound

Postby boxhead55 on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 5:29 +0000

Diesel fuel filter in hilux is changed every 40 000 km
But I do mine every service
boxhead55

Postby fourby4diesel on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 6:32 +0000

boxhead55 wrote:Diesel fuel filter in hilux is changed every 40 000 km
But I do mine every service

Do you know when they changed their minds about only doing it when the light came on?

I think 40k is a good interval. But 20 is better ;)
New DENSO Injectors are the go! New genuine parts.
Cheers, Anth - Technician - 1KD-FTV

Check your injectors about every 10,000k.
WARNING check oil pickup screen is clear
no chips no tune ups - why increase risk of piston cracking?
fourby4diesel

Postby boxhead55 on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 6:40 +0000

It has only been like that for 150 prado.
As the Prado has 2 fuel filters one under the bonnet and one under the car. Which is changed every 20 000 km
boxhead55

Postby Hellbound on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 6:47 +0000

In perth toyata dealerships diesel fuel filters arent changed at service time at all
Hellbound

Postby Talktheroo on Sun, 12 Oct 2014 8:41 +0000

Every 40,000km under normal conditions. For the fuel filter change out, that is.
That's my recommendation.
Under track use or 4x4 use, every 20,000kms.
Remember, it's your protection from foreign material getting into the supply pump and those injectors that have very tight tolerances.
The Roo.
Talktheroo

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls