2012 Engine Failure - warranty claim rejected

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: NO WARRANTY ON 2012 HILUX ENGINES

Postby Highrust on Tue, 21 Aug 2012 8:09 +0000

Our engine is not modified
Highrust

Postby ultimate on Tue, 21 Aug 2012 8:09 +0000

Highrust wrote:Excuse my understanding "ultimate" , but how does one contact this "ACCCV" ? thanks

This site has all the info you need.

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/815215
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Alby on Tue, 21 Aug 2012 8:13 +0000

Highrust wrote:Our engine is not modified

And??? What was the cause of the failure and why won't they warrant it?
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby hylux on Tue, 21 Aug 2012 8:18 +0000

Keep fishing fellas - you might get some more bites
I love hybrid cars - means more fuel for me
hylux

Postby sirlux on Tue, 21 Aug 2012 8:19 +0000

I'd be calling Toyota Australia and telling them you'll
Be taking your complaint to the accc and the media.
Toyota need to wake up and look after the "loyal" consumers
sirlux

Postby Highrust on Tue, 21 Aug 2012 8:20 +0000

Have not yet been informed yet Alby. Tomorow powwow.
Highrust

Postby lais817 on Tue, 21 Aug 2012 8:21 +0000

Highrust wrote: The poor excuses from Toyota why they won't replace these engines are due to their "IN HOUSE" examination.

What excuses did they give you mate, and what was the failure with your motor? Somebody else here might have experienced something similar?
Insert witty comment here

Check out my Build: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11921
lais817

Postby Alby on Tue, 21 Aug 2012 8:24 +0000

Highrust wrote:Have not yet been informed yet Alby. Tomorow powwow.

Let us know how you go. If you have done nothing wrong you won't have any problems getting it sorted under consumer law
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Highrust on Tue, 21 Aug 2012 8:25 +0000

sirlux wrote:I'd be calling Toyota Australia and telling them you'll
Be taking your complaint to the accc and the media.
Toyota need to wake up and look after the "loyal" consumers

Our first Landcruiser was in the late 1960s, many many toyos since but Im afraid this will probably be the end of the line'..........
Highrust

Postby Qwerty on Tue, 21 Aug 2012 9:47 +0000

mate you're clearly on a fishing trip here.

Unless you tell us the REASON Toyota have given you (and it won't be a light one), then I suspect you're completely trolling or fabricating a story for god knows what purpose.

For you to have an entire engine rejected, there must be some very strong reasons that they're puttign to you (either that or you're a pushover, in which case I have some coastal land in IOWA to sell :) ) ... for Toyota to get me to a point where I'd accept NIL warranty on a nearly new engine, there would have been half a dozen dealers, a few dozen dealer staff with tears in their eyes, and me with a few more gray hairs and raised blood pressure.

You walked in, got told "nup mate sorry not covered" ... said OK thanks, pulled your pants back up, came on here and ranted? What dealers have you tried? What did Toyota Australia (HQ) say was the outcome when you squirrel gripped them over the matter?

What's wrong with the engine?

Very keen to hear of bad behaviour of toyo and dealerships especially, but suspect you're way too light on details to be believeable mate.

I've had toyota replacing bloody alternators and airbag systems for free, 3 years out of warranty!

I suspect this is 2 minutes and 30 seconds I won't get back :)
Qwerty

Postby Rocket55 on Tue, 21 Aug 2012 10:30 +0000

Image Put up or shut up! Seeing as though he has only made 2 posts in total, I'm thinking he has already shut up....
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby Bob E Dazzla on Wed, 22 Aug 2012 5:59 +0000

Okay - Let's guess the cause seeing as the two complainants won't elaborate.

1. Bad fuel
2. Water
3. No oil
4. The wife filled it up with unleaded
5. The motor comes from a crashed 2012 but is being put in a 1984 model
6. The 'engine' is not modified but it does have a HUGE turbo on it
7. ...

:lol: :roll: :roll: :lol:
Bob E Dazzla

Postby CHS002 on Wed, 22 Aug 2012 6:11 +0000

Gees fallas sounds like you get shot very quickly on this forum if you don't reply in the first minute! Some of us do have a job, so apologies for taking so long to reply, but I got called away on work matters.
Here's the story.
I was driving along the Hwy when i lost power and noticed smoke bellowing from the exhaust. Pulled over and turned the ute off. Did obvious checks ( Oil coolant etc. ) and all seemed ok. Unable to restart it as the engine had locked we loaded it on a trailer and took it to the dealer. The mechanic at the dealer worked his way through it being guided by Toyota. Pressure test revealed major problems. Checked the fuel by sight nothing in the fuel filter, tank half full and what came out looked ok. After a couple of weeks of photos and checks Toyota decided they wanted a fuel test done for algae. Test came back with no algae but moisture in it. No warning light came on and the mechanic said there wasn't anything in the filter. If it was moisture that caused this engine failure wouldn't you say there is a fault with the filtering system as not to stop or alert you to the problem. Toyota say moisture in the fuel NO WARRANTY case closed. I have previously owned 2 older lux’s and 3 cruisers only warranty was on an 08 lux injectors.
Try and get back on line late tonight as i spend a lot of time on the road.
P.S. This matter is certainly not resolved yet as far as I am concerned!
CHS002

Postby Actilux on Wed, 22 Aug 2012 6:22 +0000

Hope you keep your fuel receipts
Actilux

Postby AdAm3962 on Wed, 22 Aug 2012 6:24 +0000

CHS002 wrote:Gees fallas sounds like you get shot very quickly on this forum if you don't reply in the first minute! Some of us do have a job, so apologies for taking so long to reply, but I got called away on work matters.

How to win friends...... Mate the great majority of us work, how the heck could we afford our vehicles! People were just wondering why someone would ask a question, provide no details, then go unheard from. Great bunch of guys on here, and you won't get any help with an attitude like that!
AdAm3962

Postby Steve9R on Wed, 22 Aug 2012 6:57 +0000

Thank you for finally posting up the reason behind the no warranty claim.

I agree with what everyone else has stated... please dont start a defamatory war against Toyota unless all sides of the story have been aired. by simply posting 'NO WARRANTY ON 2012 HILUX ENGINES' is rubbish. you are making incorrect statements which can and probably will be seen as defamatory by toyota. This will not help your case at all with Toyota in getting the problem fixed.

Toyota is not a company who will back down from their obligations, (The dealers however are another matter), but to defame Toyota for your issue is not something we will tolerate on here.

Water contamination in diesel is something we have ALL been aware of for a long time. There have been a few (not a lot though, considering we have over 25,000 members) who have had contaminated diesel resulting in engine rebuilds, all of which are searchable on this system. Please use the search function to review and see the processes others have been through. Some of these people have been successful in getting Toyota to warranty their motors even after this contamination, but its done on a case by case basis.

In future please give the ENTIRE story rather than (as others have stated) go on a fishing expedition..

I hope you are successful with you claim, if in fact water was not the problem. if it was, then as mentioned earlier you need to approach the company (with evidence of purchase) who caused the failure. eg. Petrol Station.

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Re: 2012 Engine Failure - warranty claim rejected

Postby Alby on Wed, 22 Aug 2012 7:05 +0000

Mate welcome to the forum. There are a great bunch of guys here that are willing to help each other out but will also arc up if they feel someone's taking the piss

As has been said from what you have described you have a legitimate claim against oil company or Toyota
I would be notifying my insurance company of the situation as they will take on the fuel supplier if that is shown to be the cause

Good luck with it all
Alby

Postby Rocket55 on Wed, 22 Aug 2012 7:50 +0000

Good to see you came back and added some more info. We have seen it before when new members throw an unsubstantiated "grenade" at a manufacturer purely for entertainment value and then bugger off never to be heard from again. That's not what this great site is about. As said before, there are lots and lots of extremely helpful and knowledgeable people on here that will, have and are prepared to give Toyota a hard time, but only if they deserve it and only after both sides of the storey have been told. Expecting to get support after your opening comment is wishful thinking and the bulk of the members on here won't cop manufacturer bashing for no good reason, especially as someone’s first post.

That being said, welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy the site, and as above there is huge amounts of knowledge and experience on here to help with almost any problem.

It's been mentioned on here in the past, to keep your fuel receipts, alot of us simply put the latest one in the pastic pocket on the sun visor, only to be replaced next time you fill up.

Good luck with it and keep us informed on how you go.
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby SRD4D on Wed, 22 Aug 2012 8:37 +0000

The real ongoing problem here boys is the filtering system in the hilux,contaminants SHOuLD be filtered out of the deisel before it enters the fuel rail/injectors/combustion chamber or the fuel filter isnt doing its job.....

How many times have we heard this problem now.

TOYOTA NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS...........
My dealer told me the cause of my injector failure was because of dirty fuel in the rail and injectors maybe so.SO WHY DOESNT the filter ,filter this ??????????????

Put a secondary water separator in guys quick smart and dont bother with the toyota warranty as they cant design a filter to filter deisel so its our fault!!!!!!!!!!!!
Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby Qwerty on Wed, 22 Aug 2012 8:51 +0000

chs002, good to see you came back to clarify mate. We are a good bunch on here and the temperament is very easy going ... You've just got to understand as others have stated, that it looked very much like a troll grenade had been dropped.

Onto your issue ... what a crock of crap by Toyota and a commonly reported problem. I have heard of many times of Toyota honouring warranty on this issue however. YOu will need to fight tooth and nail with them, write to TA HQ in strong terms ... bust balls basically until you get what you need.

As to the issue itself ... it's funny how they blame the fuel, I'd be blaming a design flaw that allows the engine to be unreasonably injury prone to start with.

It's like building a house ... and then a minor cold front comes through and rips the house apart. THe builder blames "a storm" ... when in reality, it was no cyclone , it just a mild storm, and the design of the house was so weak it could not tolerate it.

Or another analogy, it's like driving over a speed hump and the chassis snapping. Toyota could say you "abused the vehicle on rough ground" ... what really is at play is a line in the sand as to what's an acceptable adversity the truck shoudl handle ... and a bit of moisture in the fuel IS something the truck should handle.

It is fair and reasonable to assert to Toyota that this falls back on them. WHilst an external factor is partly to blame, it IS a common occurance of less than great fuel in AUstralia ... one of their main markets for the HiLux, and some blame for the injury prone nature of the fuel system lies with them. Additionally, in all commerce there are risks of these sorts of things occuring ... with "grey areas". Typically the social responsbility of such lies with those wiht deep pockets ... and in this case, deep pockets combined with the ability and stock to fix the issue.

It is not fair for the little guy (you) to have to wear this. I would position the above mindset and go after them with vigour mate.

There are numerous cases of Toyota honouring warranty even out of warranty ... going "halves" in things, and other negotitated concessions... so you should at least not be left completely high and dry. I'm sure others on here will be able to give you some tools of leverage (who to contact, what previous cases to cite, etc)

Good luck, keep us posted.
Qwerty

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls