2012 Engine Failure - warranty claim rejected

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: 2012 Engine Failure - warranty claim rejected

Postby BIGFOOTJR on Fri, 15 Nov 2013 11:14 +0000

Amboman wrote:Oh man! Am just about to buy a 2012 GXL Prado with the diesel motor. Done 37000km, should I buy it or not? I'm buying as Toyota is a great reliable car, is that not the case now? ?

Please give me an idea of what to do.

Well given how many toyota's are sold in Australia I would say those vehicles with complete engine failure would be very small. If you look at Navara's that are nicknamed grenades for many complete engine failures I'd say the Prado is a safe bet.

Check service records, get a professional opinion and know what you are buying. Look after the vehicle with regular maintenance, if you plan on engine performance upgrades don't be like some who set the tune to max and expect to get reliability.
BIGFOOTJR

Postby Amboman on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 12:24 +0000

Yeah good advice, and I'm not interested at all to do ANY mods!

Thanks for answering :)
Amboman

Postby martynvella on Tue, 07 Jan 2014 8:43 +0000

hmmmm, why buy a vehicle if the first thing you do is modify it for more power? If you want your hilux to perform like a V8 buy a V8 cruiser instead. If there are any simple ways of creating better performance without losing reliability don't you think Toyota would have done it?

Sorry about getting away from the topic, not saying the engine in question was modified.
martynvella

Postby razle on Sat, 18 Jan 2014 10:40 +0000

My D4D needed replacement after 200 000km. toyota are not what they used to be.
razle

Postby Mrmal on Sun, 23 Feb 2014 2:02 +0000

Brother in law had an oil pump fail. @ 30k on a v6 petrol. Poor fuel quality caused the oil pump to fail???? Toyota responded with "don't like it...... Take us to court"
Mrmal

Postby Hellbound on Thu, 27 Feb 2014 2:37 +0000

What id like to know is why the prado d4d which is the same engine but has more power and torque yet doesnt crack / melt pistons. I guess its not so much about the total power produced but the way it is achieved i.e. cheap fuel pressure only chips etc
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby Moiv on Sat, 01 Mar 2014 5:15 +0000

Given what boxhead was saying about the lightbars reducing flow into the intercooler & increasing intake temps etc.perhaps the difference is the front mounted intercooler on the prado being more effective at keeping the intake temps down
Moiv

Postby boxhead55 on Sat, 01 Mar 2014 5:29 +0000

That and the heat soak from slow speed work is a lot lower on the prado
boxhead55

Postby BillyGoatCountry on Fri, 11 Apr 2014 7:37 +0000

nice thread people.

Can anyone tell me how to check if my 04/2008 D4D would have the newer DLC ( coated ) injectors ?

Are they foolproof against problems or should i replace the injectors with Bailey Diesel ones when it gets to the next 150,000 service ( 2 yr warranty on the Baileys and only $1100 for the set )

I will fit an aftermarket water trap and filter but i cant find one that has a water in fuel sensor.

can anyone tell me who supplies the WIF sensor for the fuelmanager product for example ?

i can buy that FM100 from diesel distributors for $80 but they want $ 140 for the WIF sensor which doesnt even come with a dashboard warning light

anything better ?
BillyGoatCountry

Postby wnewton on Tue, 17 Jun 2014 4:21 +0000

Well today was the day spent the entire day in court and it was found that the Chipit chip with petrol injection was the reason my engine blew up. The judge found any performance enhancing device fitted to a car voids the warranty SO BEWARE dont believe what you are told when a chip manufacturer sells you one. The only thing that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth is that since new the car was serviced at the Toyota dealership and they were aware of the chip & petrol injection system, they have a secret warranty register which only they see and they log any mods you have made to your vehicle on it without telling you. The judge did think this was deceptive as if they believed that a modification had been made which could void the warranty or potentially damage the engine they have a duty of care to inform the car owner....but guess what they dont because they have an easy out if there is ever a warranty claim...beware
wnewton

Postby aandy on Tue, 17 Jun 2014 5:51 +0000

wnewton wrote:Well today was the day spent the entire day in court and it was found that the Chipit chip with petrol injection was the reason my engine blew up. The judge found any performance enhancing device fitted to a car voids the warranty SO BEWARE dont believe what you are told when a chip manufacturer sells you one. The only thing that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth is that since new the car was serviced at the Toyota dealership and they were aware of the chip & petrol injection system, they have a secret warranty register which only they see and they log any mods you have made to your vehicle on it without telling you. The judge did think this was deceptive as if they believed that a modification had been made which could void the warranty or potentially damage the engine they have a duty of care to inform the car owner....but guess what they dont because they have an easy out if there is ever a warranty claim...beware

Very upsetting story, sorry to hear mate.
How chip it and others can sell this gear and tell you it won't harm the engine or the warranty is disgusting. Seriously, petrol injection on an diesel with pre injection, wtf? Chips that alter rail pressure, and so maybe/maybe not injection penetration (especially with aluminium piston crowns!) another wtf.

Other chips that increase boost air, injection volume through duration and injection timing if done right ****could/maybe*** be fairly safe if kept in check, still risky and not needed in my opinion.

I'm not a small engine expert, when I pull a piston it's with a crane or a chain block, but even on the big stuff fuel injection causes some of the biggest dramas, I once changed 16 280mm bore liners due to incorrect fuel injection nozzles. Also had hole burnt in a 650mm bore piston crown due to faulty injector. Don't muck around with his stuff!
aandy

Postby Alby on Tue, 17 Jun 2014 5:54 +0000

Feel for you that it has gone that way as I am sure it has cost you some big $$$$$ but also not surprised at the outcome

This has been going for some time, what did you end up doing with your Lux?
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby andy666 on Tue, 17 Jun 2014 5:56 +0000

wnewton wrote:Well today was the day spent the entire day in court and it was found that the Chipit chip with petrol injection was the reason my engine blew up. The judge found any performance enhancing device fitted to a car voids the warranty SO BEWARE dont believe what you are told when a chip manufacturer sells you one. The only thing that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth is that since new the car was serviced at the Toyota dealership and they were aware of the chip & petrol injection system, they have a secret warranty register which only they see and they log any mods you have made to your vehicle on it without telling you. The judge did think this was deceptive as if they believed that a modification had been made which could void the warranty or potentially damage the engine they have a duty of care to inform the car owner....but guess what they dont because they have an easy out if there is ever a warranty claim...beware

I've just finished reading through all your post and the modifications you had done. I have to say I'm really not surprised that you lost. :roll:
666 High Idle Kits to suit 05+ hilux Available Here
My Build Thread.
andy666

Postby Fixa4377 on Tue, 17 Jun 2014 6:22 +0000

Wow I have just read this whole thread and i am still confused :?

I will be picking up a Nov 13 build SR5 D4D next month and I was intending on putting a secondary filter on it, But I can't see anywhere black and white where it says it will not effect warranties :oops:

And also some say the 13/14 Hilux injectors are different??

Thinking I should grill the dealer on the warranty subject before I sign the dotted line?
Fixa4377

Postby BIGFOOTJR on Tue, 17 Jun 2014 7:15 +0000

I would be talking to Toyota HQ as each dealer has their own idea or no idea, whatever it is you won't get a straight answer from the dealer.
BIGFOOTJR

Postby outbackjoe on Wed, 18 Jun 2014 8:01 +0000

By "any performance enchancing device" I think the judge means anything that cranks up the power. Crank up power means overloading and is a no brainer for voiding warranty. You can safely make a blanket statement that overloading contributes to failure. But for other stuff like a filter it has to be shown that the modification contributed to the failure. So you're warranty may or may not be void.
outbackjoe

Postby rsearle84 on Thu, 19 Jun 2014 8:00 +0000

Upsetting about engine but really a no brainer. Its mentioned countless times on here to remove the chips for service. Unfortunately these d4d'S are a 15 yr old motor and we're highly tuned from the factory. I researched chip after chip and came to the conclusion that if more power is needed buy a different vehicle.

In saying all that 2 months ago my d4d blew up in remote wa. It's the second d4d I've had blow up on me. And I personally know of 6 more. Mine only had 90k km on clock.

TOYOTA has made a LEMON of a common rail td motor and all the faithful Toytoa owners are paying bucket loads for it.

Best thing about owing a Toytoa is even though I broke down in remote WA parts/engines wer5 available. Imagine owning ANY of the other brands. YOUS BE F***D
rsearle84

Postby dervdave on Thu, 19 Jun 2014 5:22 +0000

rsearle84 wrote:
TOYOTA has made a LEMON of a common rail td motor and all the faithful Toytoa owners are paying bucket loads for it.

Wrong..... the engines ok, your blow up was caused by the chip
Or this !

Last edited by dervdave on Thu, 19 Jun 2014 7:56 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
2013 3.0d Invincible
dervdave

Postby terryo on Thu, 19 Jun 2014 6:14 +0000

i run an professional engine rebuild shop and specialize in Toyota. We see very few low km engines that fail for inexplicable reasons, and generally a professional tear down will get to the root cause of the fault. Some of the comments posted here don't ring true, but others, I've seen before, like excess smoke point to leaking D4D injectors filling the sump with fuel. we had 1 case where a service tech left a line connector loose in the head and the sump filled with fuel in about 10km and the engine started auto-running on that. thankfully that was saved.
terryo

Postby Fixa4377 on Fri, 20 Jun 2014 7:54 +0000

Edit, disregard whining post :D
Last edited by Fixa4377 on Fri, 20 Jun 2014 9:14 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Fixa4377

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls