Bonnet Recall Issue

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Bonnet Recall Issue

Postby johnny5x on Fri, 19 Feb 2010 1:26 +0000

Got my car back today from Toyota in Phillip and they have scratched my bonnet. Car was in to check out injector knock which they said there is nothing wrong (2nd time it has been in, different dealer though) and i bought a bonnet protector for it yesterday when i dropped it off and was going to install it myself but one of the service guys asked if i wanted them to install it. I told them its ok ill do it myself but if they are not going to charge me for it then ok. (thinking these guys are professionals and know what they are doing) The bonnet protector isnt even screwed in properly on one end anyway so go figure.

They reckon they did the bonnet recall on it or something, i dont know whats involved in that but they took the bonnet off and drilled some holes because the bonnet protector couldnt be mounted without the holes. So anyway they said they will call me on Monday to sort it out. I only picked the car up 3 weeks ago and it had a complete buff and detail before i picked it up so im 100% certain those scratches weren't there before, and its not like they are small scratches, they are quite big and down to the bare metal.

So there you go, they try to do something out of their own free will for a customer which is great, but at the same time they f**d it up which is bad. :roll:
johnny5x

Postby D4D Hilux on Fri, 19 Feb 2010 4:24 +0000

bonnet recall??? first ive heard of it, any more info anyone?
Cheers, Ryan

07 SR5 Hilux D4D
D4D Hilux

Postby rodw on Fri, 19 Feb 2010 4:31 +0000

D4D Hilux wrote:bonnet recall??? first ive heard of it, any more info anyone?

Pre 2007 had a problem with the bonnet and there was a recall on it but it was fixed. My Dec 2007 has never been recalled.
rodw

Postby D4D Hilux on Fri, 19 Feb 2010 7:02 +0000

rodw wrote:

Pre 2007 had a problem with the bonnet and there was a recall on it but it was fixed. My Dec 2007 has never been recalled.

fair enough, thanks rod
Cheers, Ryan

07 SR5 Hilux D4D
D4D Hilux

Postby shane308 on Fri, 19 Feb 2010 7:23 +0000

efini7 wrote:Got my car back today from Toyota in Phillip and they have scratched my bonnet. Car was in to check out injector knock which they said there is nothing wrong (2nd time it has been in, different dealer though) and i bought a bonnet protector for it yesterday when i dropped it off and was going to install it myself but one of the service guys asked if i wanted them to install it. I told them its ok ill do it myself but if they are not going to charge me for it then ok. (thinking these guys are professionals and know what they are doing) The bonnet protector isnt even screwed in properly on one end anyway so go figure.

They reckon they did the bonnet recall on it or something, i dont know whats involved in that but they took the bonnet off and drilled some holes because the bonnet protector couldnt be mounted without the holes. So anyway they said they will call me on Monday to sort it out. I only picked the car up 3 weeks ago and it had a complete buff and detail before i picked it up so im 100% certain those scratches weren't there before, and its not like they are small scratches, they are quite big and down to the bare metal.

So there you go, they try to do something out of their own free will for a customer which is great, but at the same time they f**d it up which is bad. :roll:

haha toyota phillip scratched the sh1t out of my bonnet and cowl a couple years ago too while they were doing my bonnet recall.
there must be a bloke there whos job it is too scratch stuff.
shane308
Platinum Subscriber

Postby H20PRF on Fri, 19 Feb 2010 7:48 +0000

rodw wrote:

What was the actual problem with the Bonnet's ? im curious now
H20PRF

Postby MADDOG on Fri, 19 Feb 2010 8:07 +0000

H20PRF wrote:
rodw wrote:

What was the actual problem with the Bonnet's ? im curious now

Something to do with cracking around the latch welds with constant vibrations or something like that. Missus has hidden the paperwork, I'll find it tomorrow and tell you the exact details. I had my rig at Toyota twice for 2 WHOLE DAYS and they told me they didn't have time to rectify the problem even though I had it booked in.
MADDOG

Postby MADDOG on Sat, 20 Feb 2010 5:52 +0000

Found it. This is an extract from the letter.

"We are contacting you to advise that there is a possibility that your vehicle's engine hood (bonnet) inner panel may crack in the proximity of the striker (to which the engine hood latch engages) due to prolonged driving on rough or corrugated road surfaces. If vehicle operation continues in this condition, the fracture will extend around the welds of the striker resulting in increasing movement and rattling noise. In the worst instance, the inner panel could crack and the engine hood may become unsecured with the possibility that the engine hood could open whilst the vehicle is in motion.

Additionally, if your vehicle is fitted with a Toyota genuine bullbar, (equipped with additional turn signal lights) and you are towing a trailer, the vehicle wiring and flasher relay unit capacity will be insufficient to operate all the turn signal lamps for hazard warning function. Individual turn signal lamps (left or right) are not affected.

Our records indicate that your Toyota Hilux has not yet been rectified, therefore, we ask you to schedule an appointment with your nearest Toyota Dealer without delay.

Rectification is free of charge and will involve affixing a reinforcement panel to the underside of the engine hood that will provide additional support to the striker together with a new matching engine hood insulator. The labour time required is approximately 2 hours (with an additional 1 hour required if your vehicle is fitted with a Toyota genuine bullbar); however, depending on the the Dealer's work schedule, it may be necessary to make your vehicle available for a longer period of time. Demand for this campaign repair will be significant but your Dealer will make the earliest possible booking in line with their specific workload and scheduling."

There you go. As Rod said this a problem on Pre 2007 models so there is no need for anyone with later models to stress..............I can hear bonnets opening all over the world :lol:

Hope that helps

Cheers

Joel
MADDOG

Postby apostoly on Tue, 19 Jul 2011 7:11 +0000

Dropped of the lux this morning to fix the Crossmember issue, then got a call with another 2 outstanding recalls including the bonnet. Lets see if they can complete the work without scratching my 2 day old painted bullbar.....Doubt it!!

Maybe i can make them powder coat it if i see a large amount of scratches and say i paid a few hundred to get it done.. even though its out of a spray can ..hehe.
2nd Gear Low & GO GO GO

My Build Page - http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=9074

Pauly ;)
apostoly

Postby Fazz on Mon, 27 Jan 2014 4:56 +0000

Sorry to bump the thread, so can the poor sods with a reinforced bonnet put a bonnet protector on? Cause I purchased one the other day not even thinking twice to see if my bonnet had me modified (bought the ute in 2010).

Do we just have to drill through the plate to where the hole is ment to be?
Cheers!
Fazz

Postby Jon88 on Mon, 27 Jan 2014 7:16 +0000

Fazz wrote:Sorry to bump the thread, so can the poor sods with a reinforced bonnet put a bonnet protector on? Cause I purchased one the other day not even thinking twice to see if my bonnet had me modified (bought the ute in 2010).

Cheers!

hey mate,

yeah i had this problem as well, I just lined the bonnet protector up, centre punched where the plastic nut inserts have to go, and drilled through carefully. Worked good, and lined up well. It doesnt seem to close as easily as it did before i put the protector on but its basically nothing to worry about. (now drop the bonnet from 10cm height instead of previously dropping it from 5cm ;) )
Jon88

Postby Fazz on Mon, 27 Jan 2014 11:28 +0000

Jon88 wrote:
Fazz wrote:Sorry to bump the thread, so can the poor sods with a reinforced bonnet put a bonnet protector on? Cause I purchased one the other day not even thinking twice to see if my bonnet had me modified (bought the ute in 2010).

Cheers!

hey mate,

yeah i had this problem as well, I just lined the bonnet protector up, centre punched where the plastic nut inserts have to go, and drilled through carefully. Worked good, and lined up well. It doesnt seem to close as easily as it did before i put the protector on but its basically nothing to worry about. (now drop the bonnet from 10cm height instead of previously dropping it from 5cm ;) )

What size drill bit did you use to fit the plastic nut inserts?
Thanks for the help mate!
Fazz

Previous

Return to Warranty/Recalls