INJECTORS

What were your warranty claims and recall information

INJECTORS

Postby Sinkers on Mon, 19 Dec 2011 10:15 +0000

I have a 2010 SR5 140,000 klm
I have been complaining about the injector noise since new,
3 weeks ago the malfunction light came on, I had it towed to the local Toyota dealership
After investigation they said it was dirty fuel, They drained the tank flushed all fuel lines,
replaced the fuel filter, reset the fault and sent me on my way.
2 weeks ago the same light came on I had it towed to the same dealer, now they are stating the
injectors have failed and need replacing aswell as the rail. (Due to fuel contamination)
They sent the ETU readings to Toyota and they sent back no failure to the manufacture.
At no time did they coment on the other times I have complained about the injector noise.
I asked them for proof of the fuel analysis which they said they showed me the fuel in a bottle and now no longer have
the sample. I asked them that I want some proof that the fuel contamination was the cause. With a fuel filter and sensors
in place to protect the system I find it hard to belive that the fuel that was put into it caused the damage. Now they are
stating that it has been caused by water in the fuel. At no time am I aware and has never been mentioned about any water in the system.
Has anyone experienced this and had a win with Toyota, What dealership in NSW did you deal with

Thanks
Sinkers

Re: INJECTORS

Postby Rocket55 on Mon, 19 Dec 2011 12:19 +0000

Hi Sinkers and welcome to the site :D

Use the seach button and you'll find there is a whole heap of info about Hilux injectos on here, along with who has got what results from various dealers around the land.

Good luck with it and give them heaps :twisted: :twisted:
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Re: HILUX D4dD INJECTORS

Postby SRD4D on Mon, 19 Dec 2011 1:46 +0000

Good luck with toyota mate,they give me the same speal about dirty fuel handed me an "orchy bottle" and said see bad fuel !!!!!!!! that will be $6500 to fix please sir.

So Mr toyota, dont they have a filter to protect from this?????Do we have to test our fuel now before we fill up our hiluxes? oh so why are we paying now $60K for these utes again? if they cant cope with the fuel thats more refined than ever.

Its a design flaw and notihng else and Toyota need to sort it out or the "unbreakable hilux" name will be fine printed below ("subject to petrol engines only").
Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby tidal on Mon, 19 Dec 2011 5:36 +0000

It is a shame, I wish I had bought the petrol, quieter,smoother, faster and over all cheaper to own :lol:

Ring up Pat Gardiner V6 Conversions & see if he will drop a commodore V6 in for you :mrgreen:
Rod

If you can’t fix it with a hammer you’ve got an electrical problem...
tidal

Postby Yamaha496 on Tue, 10 Jan 2012 6:05 +0000

tidal wrote:It is a shame, I wish I had bought the petrol, quieter,smoother, faster and over all cheaper to own :lol:

Ring up Pat Gardiner V6 Conversions & see if he will drop a commodore V6 in for you :mrgreen:
Hello,
Toyota really should pick their act up, I sell a filter that gaurantees to take the water out of the diesel it's called a stanadyne fuel manager I can send you some info if you like it's an inline filter that goes between the tank and the main filter it is only a new product and designed for all common rail diesels it's the molecular structure of the diesel these days water is holding on and not dropping into the bottom of filters anymore so we are draining our fuel filters and always thinking that it is good diesel because there is no water but it is really hanging on and going through pumps and injectors. I sell them for around $150 including fitting kit which is cheap for peace of mind cause not many people can afford the money Toyota won't for the parts.
I tell you what there will be a lot of common rail diesels cheap soon I know I wouldn't touch one out of warranty not that they look after you anyway but i would definently purchase if a fuel manager filter was fitted from new.
Hope this helps.
If you need anymore info
My #
Craig.
Thanks.
Last edited by 9W6VX on Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:37 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: phone number edited to comply with forum rules 1.1
Yamaha496

Re: HILUX D4dD INJECTORS

Postby Steveyb on Tue, 10 Jan 2012 6:21 +0000

SRD4D wrote:Good luck with toyota mate,they give me the same speal about dirty fuel handed me an "orchy bottle" and said see bad fuel !!!!!!!! that will be $6500 to fix please sir.

So Mr toyota, dont they have a filter to protect from this?????Do we have to test our fuel now before we fill up our hiluxes? oh so why are we paying now $60K for these utes again? if they cant cope with the fuel thats more refined than ever.

Its a design flaw and notihng else and Toyota need to sort it out or the "unbreakable hilux" name will be fine printed below ("subject to petrol engines only").

spot on, spot on...

I would have offered them an arm and a leg to fix it..... well, maybe a clip around the ear and a kick up the ass for being an arrogant lying flogbag toyota service rep.
NLC
Steveyb

INJECTORS

Postby Qwerty on Tue, 10 Jan 2012 6:36 +0000

Slam fists on desks and assert that the d4d has flawed, Injury prone piece of crap injectors, and blaming dirty fuel is a complete and utter copout.

Kick scream and fight to the top of toyotas food chain.

Threaten legal action , today tonight , a current affair

Threaten to terminate lucrative fleet contracts your company holds.

Shove the injectors square up the lazy bloody Toyota dealers ass who are ripping off consumers by the thousands.

Find out what consumer ombudsman or fair trading mechanisms exist , how to use them , and have this armed as you unleash barrage.
Qwerty

Postby Adam B on Tue, 06 Mar 2012 6:13 +0000

ive fitted half a dozen sets of injectors to d4d engines now, if theres anyone out there with injector trouble ive established contacts with access to denso injectors alot cheaper then toyota can sell them, and to give everyone out there a heads up its not only the injector itself that fails but on hiluxs before 8month 08 the injector is seated on a copper washer that fails and causes carbon to blow past your injector into your rocker gear then into your oil pickup in the sump, ive had 2 vehicles owned by the company i work for blow up due to lack of oil caused by this so anyone out there that services trere own vehicle you can clearly see your oil pickup straight up the sump plug hole. out of 150 hiluxs and prados i take care of and service ive found 12 of these to have blocked pickups and ive found carbyclean is the only thing that will break the carbon down
cheers adam
Adam B

Postby jimfroggy on Thu, 29 Mar 2012 8:05 +0000

Thought I'd add my 2c from recent experience with the injector saga that seems to plague so many of us. Apologies if this is old news to some but needless to say I've learnt a lot in the past few months and think its worth mentioning.
Engine light came on at about 120,000. (06 lux). Brought up injector fault code, so took it into Toyota stealership for scan. $66 later for plugging in a scan tool came up with needing 4 new injectors and a "carbon clean". Quote $4,500.

Not satisfied with this I took it to my local diesel mech and got him to give me the tip. Turned out 2 were running out of spec and 1 was borderline, but he recommended replacing all 4 as you would. Quote $4000 (as he would need to source the parts from the genuine supplier anyway).
Turned to eBay, sourced the new superceded model injectors for $345ea, also needed to source the tubes and seats etc. for installation myself, but overall with labour came in about $2,200. Had the fuel filter replaced also and it was clogged with all kinds of flotsam. Sounds and feels like a brand new car now so thankfully worth shelling out the coin for it.

Picked up some good advice along the way also. The old man knows a bloke who runs a D4D model Hiace or similar van type rig as a taxi in my hometown, swears by changing the fuel filter every 10,000km, as he now has run the van up to and beyond 500,000km without a hitch by following this simple plan. Also I now exclusively fuel up at BP, which was recommended as having the best of the bad bunch in terms of fuel quality (?low sulphur, purity etc.), although have also heard ok things about Caltex Diesel. Prior to the injector replacement I was using a Mobil/7Eleven servo as it was close to home and on the way to work, but have since changed teams...this may have been a contributor. I have heard of some keeping all receipts by way of insuring yourself against "bad/dirty fuel" as Toyota would say. Some believe you may be able to charge the fuel company for serving crap fuel and get them to pay the repair bill. Unconfirmed though, but not a bad idea as a safeguard.
Also heard its a wise idea to replace diff oils every other service, as apparently (and don't quote me of course) due to the diffs on current model being the same ones used in earlier model luxes, they don't hold up so well under the increased power of the 3.0L. As for me I decided stuff it, and just replace all oils every service. Quite happy to be absorbing the extra cost for some well needed peace of mind, particularly when taking the rig off road, have no desire to wind up dealing with issues out on my own off the beaten track. I have a good private mech who sorts me out so I'm happy to give him the business.
I'm now telling all my mates and even a few strangers with D4D's to think about this just to save them the hassle (hopefully).

Up to you though...
jimfroggy

Postby Hellbound on Fri, 30 Mar 2012 9:14 +0000

Sounds like good advice to me, specially about changing the filter every 10k - its just plain crazy for toyota to think thats not a serviceable part or very 150k as they recommend!

Did you do the install of the injectors yourself or the private mechanic, and did he recode the injectors to the ecu afterwards?
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby jimfroggy on Fri, 30 Mar 2012 3:24 +0000

The mechanic installed them, my underhood knowledge doesn't stretch that far unfortunately. He re-programmed the ECU for me also which was no hassle.
Forgot to add that part, as I'd asked around and one of the guys I talked to said that re-programming couldn't be done with new injectors as Toyota weren't releasing the codes for this, however asked my mechanic about it to which he replied "nah we can get around that". Once again more misinformation spread to bring people back to stealerships, as that seems to a well widespread belief.

Also, forgot to add to use genuine fuel filters or at least ones that go to 2microns. Once again check on eBay you can find them for about $40 each which is half or better than the local genuine suppliers. I agree, why change oil filters every service but not fuel? Why not do them all...My logbook says every 80,000 i think, but once again its what they don't tell you that ensures parts die and revenue is raised when you come back in to the dealership with warning lights on and problems...
jimfroggy

Postby SRD4D on Fri, 30 Mar 2012 5:48 +0000

yeh ok mate I agree on the fluid chages too,I do oil /filter 5000ks religiously ,fuel 10000ks,diffs/transfer around 20ks
coolant around the same.
Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby atkcon on Tue, 17 Apr 2012 6:26 +0000

SRD4D wrote:yeh ok mate I agree on the fluid chages too,I do oil /filter 5000ks religiously ,fuel 10000ks,diffs/transfer around 20ks
coolant around the same.
Adam B, Can you give us the name of your denso supplier Cheers
atkcon

Postby Ryno77 on Sun, 15 Sep 2013 3:57 +0000

Is there a vehicle age group for the faulty injectors?
Ryno77

Postby StevenS on Sun, 15 Sep 2013 4:13 +0000

Ryno77 wrote:Is there a vehicle age group for the faulty injectors?

between 2005 and 2013 :lol:
StevenS

Postby boxhead55 on Sun, 15 Sep 2013 4:21 +0000

Mate a bran new one a gut full of bad fuel add a bit of water and it is all over. How long is a bit of string?
boxhead55

Postby Ryno77 on Wed, 18 Sep 2013 7:59 +0000

Adam B wrote: to give everyone out there a heads up its not only the injector itself that fails but on hiluxs before 8month 08 the injector is seated on a copper washer that fails and causes carbon to blow past your injector into your rocker gear then into your oil pickup in the sump.
cheers adam

Is this the only known issue regarding the injectors on D4D or is it still ongoing with current models?

Would be awesome to have a time line of known injector faults and upgrades and which date range these apply to.
Ryno77

Return to Warranty/Recalls