New Hilux - Do I take up the extended warranty?

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Postby Jamjar on Wed, 07 Nov 2007 7:02 +0000

Hi , I have just got word that my Hilux will be ready for pick up next Friday the 16.11.07. The salesman has given me a new offer on extended warranty - 5 yr/200,000 kl for $1640.
What do you guys think???
Jamjar

Postby shane308 on Wed, 07 Nov 2007 7:16 +0000

what do you intend on doing to your new truck eg,bigger wheels, suspension, power up chips, lockers ?, the reson i ask is that a lot of these mods would probably void warranty anyway.
shane308
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 07 Nov 2007 7:27 +0000

if your gonna do heaps of kays, then it sounds pretty good. but like Shane said, if its mods your after then it may pose a problem.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Glenn k on Wed, 07 Nov 2007 7:27 +0000

personally i think you would be wasting your money,
the hilux is a tuff truck and very well built.
shane308 also made a good point regarding mods.
$1640 seems alot of money to pay for extra warranty also...hope this helps...Glenn

due to recent financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off until further notice !
Glenn k

Postby Jamjar on Wed, 07 Nov 2007 7:35 +0000

Change the wheels/tyres as I had to get the SR seeing I could not wait till Feb for the SR5, but not over kill, I have 31x9.5x15 on my current one and am happy with them for what I do in it. Was thinking of a chip, but they just unplug before a service right?

I have been told that the softlocker in the rear would be on my head, the sales guy told me that the LSD is better now on the models coming into Aus now, so I sould not need one , could be all talk from him.
Jamjar

Postby Jamjar on Wed, 07 Nov 2007 8:01 +0000

LSD... Better... 8-)

I'll wait to pass judgement... I suppose one day they may make it to last but I think this is a poor point with most manufacturers...

Personnaly I wouldn't go for it...
Jamjar

Postby 9W6VX on Wed, 07 Nov 2007 9:59 +0000

Toyota LSD sucks and I would not trust the sales rep claiming that newer models have better LSD's.

The irony is that these sales reps know nothing about the technical specifications of their cars and yet pretend to talk technical. I hate it when these idiots talk crap! As an example, the sales rep I bought my Hilux from said that an intercooler for the Hilux is not required as it makes no difference to the power output!

I concur that if you want to modify your Hilux, forget about the extended warranty. The standard warranty of 3 years or 100,000kms is good enough.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby TOMUCH on Wed, 07 Nov 2007 1:01 +0000

Mate I took the extended warranty...$1500 for 6 years and 200 000k... I have modified my truck, but still think that I should be able to claim on anything I have not touched..IE engine transmission all the body and interior ect... theres still a lot of car to go wrong in a few years... just my two cents...Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Postby Danlux on Wed, 07 Nov 2007 4:46 +0000

[quote]Do I take up the extended warranty?[/quote]

No, waist of money, as said above there good enough, my 2 cents
Danlux

Postby ripin5.0l on Wed, 07 Nov 2007 7:59 +0000

personal choice really! but u will have 2 get it serviced at the dealership u bought it from on most agreements... can be a pain later on.... could of asked 2 chuck it in before u purchased the car aswell thats wat i did
ripin5.0l

Postby felix on Thu, 08 Nov 2007 1:59 +0000

I took out a six year 200k exta warranty and it cost $650 ( six hundred and fifty dollars ) so you are definitely being asked to pay too much, you should be able to haggle with the price he wants. As mentioned above the dealer will require you do all services with them.
felix

Postby TOMUCH on Thu, 08 Nov 2007 12:14 +0000

I didn't have to get the services done at the dealer... that was n't part of the deal... but I do because its conveinient for me... if he gives me the 5H1Ts tomuch, I will go to the one in Darwin city... but yeah personal choice... its really your call... Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Re: New Hilux - Do I take up the extended warranty?

Postby Drew on Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:27 +0000

I bought the 6yr 200,000km one with my new truck. I too asked the dealer about mods, eg if i have bigger tyres and diff locks and the axles break or clutch goes, he said toyota would have to be able to proove that the modifications caused the failure. Also it covers everything else in the car, stereo, sensors etc etc
I also asked the big question and YES it is transferable so a good resale option too.
Im not stuck..... Im thinking
Drew

Postby BOOGEYMAN on Tue, 05 Oct 2010 4:51 +0000

I'd even do it for$2000, for an extra 2years 100k. When I worked at a dealer they said new cars
r only built to last till the warranty runs out, anything longer then it's a bonus.
My 5 cents worth
BOOGEYMAN

Postby Oz Bruiser on Tue, 05 Oct 2010 6:18 +0000

I only just recently puchassed mine. Touchwood i dont need it lol. Whne i was negotiating 2 seperate dealers said they wouldnt sell me the extended warranty unless i really really wanted it. THey said is a pain in the ass for me and for them and al lthe conditions that need to be met. They also said when the factory warranty runs out you still have to get it serviced by the dealer you purchassed from and they said on the factory warranty there is a little bit of lee way if you go over the recomended time fram for the required services. The window for services under the extended warranty is much smaller both in relation to time and kms otherwise is very easy to void the warrany conditions.
i didnt choose it and knock on wood i dont need it, but thats my 2 cents worth.
Oz Bruiser

Postby TrentRyan on Sun, 17 Oct 2010 8:30 +0000

I did with. 100series modified it with all sorts, two warrantee claims, both straight through.

Done the same with Hilux but never had to claim.
TrentRyan

Postby shane308 on Mon, 18 Oct 2010 4:05 +0000

Mines in at the moment getting the starter motor replaced under the extentded "extra care" warranty, all was good and there was no problem with the replacment until the service manager told me that extra care weren't happy about haveing to pay $1000 dollars for the starter motor so they were going to put a non genuine one in....!!!, I said to him you have got to be f#%king kidding me, then I reminded him that last year I had a warranty claim rejected on a crack on my tub because of the non genuine (ARB) canopy and now you want to put a non genuine part on my truck because theirs is to expensive.
So we'll have to see what happens but if it comes back with anything other than a Toyota stamped part on it they will definatly be hearing more about it.
Their also meant to be checking out the injector rattle while they've got it so we'll see what happens with that to!
shane308
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TrentRyan on Fri, 22 Oct 2010 6:45 +0000

shane308 wrote:Mines in at the moment getting the starter motor replaced under the extentded "extra care" warranty, all was good and there was no problem with the replacment until the service manager told me that extra care weren't happy about haveing to pay $1000 dollars for the starter motor so they were going to put a non genuine one in....!!!, I said to him you have got to be f#%king kidding me, then I reminded him that last year I had a warranty claim rejected on a crack on my tub because of the non genuine (ARB) canopy and now you want to put a non genuine part on my truck because theirs is to expensive.
So we'll have to see what happens but if it comes back with anything other than a Toyota stamped part on it they will definatly be hearing more about it.
Their also meant to be checking out the injector rattle while they've got it so we'll see what happens with that to!

Extended factory means exactly that. Factory must use factory So must the extended. Don't let the bastards get away with it.
TrentRyan

Postby Goldminer on Wed, 19 Jan 2011 9:32 +0000

TrentRyan wrote:
shane308 wrote:Mines in at the moment getting the starter motor replaced under the extentded "extra care" warranty, all was good and there was no problem with the replacment until the service manager told me that extra care weren't happy about haveing to pay $1000 dollars for the starter motor so they were going to put a non genuine one in....!!!, I said to him you have got to be f#%king kidding me, then I reminded him that last year I had a warranty claim rejected on a crack on my tub because of the non genuine (ARB) canopy and now you want to put a non genuine part on my truck because theirs is to expensive.

Extended factory means exactly that. Factory must use factory So must the extended. Don't let the bastards get away with it.

I read my contract and this may apply to you Shane/Trent: "WHAT WE PAY: If we agree to pay your claim for Toyota components. we may choose, at our option, to pay the reasonable cost of either repairing or replacing those parts. Replacement parts will be of similar type and quality to those used in your vehicle taking into account its age and kilometres travelled."
Its unfortunate but that, to me, means they can use whatever bloody parts they want. That sucks. Mind you I insisted on a cheaper but better clutch. (exedy) So it may work in your favour to some degree.
Cheers

I just had rear main seal, sump gasket, both axle seals and clutch replaced under my extended warranty. I paid 1500 for in 2005 and haven't used it till now. But by golly it worth it now something has gone wrong. I have suspension lift bigger tyres etc. No worries under warranty. I read the fine print on my policy and as long as its serviced by toyota in the correct interval it doesn't matter. The actual dealership doesn't matter.
Goldminer

Postby TrentRyan on Mon, 14 Feb 2011 3:45 +0000

Goldminer wrote:
TrentRyan wrote:

I read my contract and this may apply to you Shane/Trent: "WHAT WE PAY: If we agree to pay your claim for Toyota components. we may choose, at our option, to pay the reasonable cost of either repairing or replacing those parts. Replacement parts will be of similar type and quality to those used in your vehicle taking into account its age and kilometres travelled."
Its unfortunate but that, to me, means they can use whatever bloody parts they want. That sucks. Mind you I insisted on a cheaper but better clutch. (exedy) So it may work in your favour to some degree.
Cheers

I just had rear main seal, sump gasket, both axle seals and clutch replaced under my extended warranty. I paid 1500 for in 2005 and haven't used it till now. But by golly it worth it now something has gone wrong. I have suspension lift bigger tyres etc. No worries under warranty. I read the fine print on my policy and as long as its serviced by toyota in the correct interval it doesn't matter. The actual dealership doesn't matter.

Some good info there, thanks always pays to read the fine print.
TrentRyan

Next

Return to Warranty/Recalls