cracked piston

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: cracked piston

Postby SRD4D on Sun, 09 Oct 2011 2:38 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:
cairnzy_j wrote:

If I ever encounter this, a Lexus V8 will be going straight in, much more affordable conversion than a new diesel engine costs.... :twisted:

well done with fixing the issues.

+1 for mine as well,any one done the conversion as yet,is there a manual flywheel available?
what power outputs do they deliver?
Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby cairnzy_j on Mon, 10 Oct 2011 5:57 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:
If I ever encounter this, a Lexus V8 will be going straight in, much more affordable conversion than a new diesel engine costs.... :twisted:

well done with fixing the issues.

Hehe yeah I contemplated this also, but the costs of a transplant were alot more than you would expect. Over here anyway. And when I'm doing 1000-1500kms a week the petrol V8 would lighten the wallet a bit much!

We have a 100 series with the 4.7 v8 in it and it's a beatiful motor, but my fuel bill easily doubled over the last 3-4 months of using it full time :lol:

Cheers.
cairnzy_j

Postby k_san on Mon, 10 Oct 2011 9:07 +0000

cairnzy_j wrote:Engine back in guys. It took my brother and I about 6-7 hours to get it in and running. Fairly simple for a modern vehicle.

Had issues with a air lock in the cooling system and the engine ran hot for a while, however once we got that all sorted she ran like usual. Broke the motor in, now got to clock up a couple of thousand kms before my next oil change.

So far I've done a couple of hundred kms with no noticable issues, so hoping for a decent run out of the new motor.

Have got it booked in at Toyota for a computer check, and general going over on Monday.

Ever watched a mechanic bleed a cooling system on a hilux? Id never seen anything like it !

But well done with the build, hope it ends well! Don't let up with Toyota!
Cheers

4WD's - Turning round-abouts into over-abouts :)
k_san

Postby k_san on Mon, 10 Oct 2011 9:12 +0000

Just curious...

Getting injector seats done - would that be a Toyota thing? Or would you take that to the mechanic - the mechanic i use hasn't heard of having to do injectors every 50000km.

Does anyone know how much this process would cost? Thinking it could be something good to do as part of preventative maintenance...if it means I don't have to do a motor rebuild then I'd be keen!
Cheers

k_san

Postby Hellbound on Mon, 10 Oct 2011 12:25 +0000

I too would love to no more about that procedure. Aparently the toyota dealers over in NZ do it as part of there services when it comes time. The change out the seat with a new while still using the same injector pipes so i rekon we could do it at home with the proper tools etc. Being very very clean with it all too obviously !
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby k_san on Mon, 10 Oct 2011 3:22 +0000

True, surely there can't be two different service / maintenance schedules for Toyota hilux's that are of the same model, depending on the country, unless climate has something tomdo with it?
Cheers

k_san

Postby fourby4diesel on Mon, 10 Oct 2011 5:34 +0000

Another example of why it's better to buy new or newer.
Just bad luck really, got to see the positive side, it will have new everything and run great ready for another 400,000klm.

Istrument cluster could have had issues and been replaced with one from a wreckers, which happened to have lower kms on it, as many would, nothing illegal about that, just a possibility.

Maxx, What is the difference between illegal and highly illegal? :-)
New DENSO Injectors are the go! New genuine parts.
Cheers, Anth - Technician - 1KD-FTV

Check your injectors about every 10,000k.
WARNING check oil pickup screen is clear
no chips no tune ups - why increase risk of piston cracking?
fourby4diesel

Postby cairnzy_j on Tue, 11 Oct 2011 7:32 +0000

Slowlux wrote:Another example of why it's better to buy new or newer.
Just bad luck really, got to see the positive side, it will have new everything and run great ready for another 400,000klm.

Istrument cluster could have had issues and been replaced with one from a wreckers, which happened to have lower kms on it, as many would, nothing illegal about that, just a possibility.

Maxx, What is the difference between illegal and highly illegal? :-)

I'm hoping for a good run and I plan to run it for a couple more years. This truck had a fully logged service history with our local Toyota dealership, and I knew the seller through work, so everything checked out and nothing dodgy was going on there. Also the general condition of the truck (mint) was a good indicator that the kms were accurate.

Basically the seats and seals failed on the injectors and that caused the leakge which damaged the pistons. The injectors them selves were fine. It only takes one dose of sh*tty fuel to damage the seats and seals apparently.

After talking with a Toyota technician yesterday he said that they (the mechanics) only became aware of the seats and seals servicing around 12 months ago when it was released by the big wigs. Apparently Toyota NZ knew this for sometime before making it a recommended servicing procedure. Unfortunately this was a month or so after my 150,000km major service, so that is why I wasn't made aware of it.

Anyways, they recommend doing it every 45,000kms and I'm not sure of costs but can find that out easily enough. The engines they are performing this service on are not having any of the 'injector' issues following servicing, and no engines have failed since following this procedure, and the mechanics are confident this is the foundation of the D4D issues.

Its not a difficult process, you just need the knowledge of the high pressure injection systems to ensure you carry out the job safely.

The oil pick up screen is also another important component to keep an eye on as they tend to block up over time and obviously cause engine failure through starvation. Its not too uncommon either.
cairnzy_j

Postby k_san on Tue, 11 Oct 2011 8:28 +0000

Sounds fair! The more I read the more I think im going to ask the question here in brissy and see if I can book in...155000km and I think it would be safe to say that the injector seats have never been done.

Cairnzy_j - what do you mean by the oil pick up screen? Is that the pick up in the sump that has the gauze bit over it?
Cheers

k_san

Postby cairnzy_j on Wed, 12 Oct 2011 6:29 +0000

K_san, I wouldn't hesitate to ask anyway, and regarding the oil screen, yes that's the one.
cairnzy_j

Postby adamw on Wed, 11 Jan 2012 4:34 +0000

Get a great big dirty V8 instead!
adamw

Postby Steve9R on Fri, 27 Apr 2012 6:21 +0000

October 2006 !.. that sux for me.. :?
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby allo on Sat, 03 Nov 2012 9:51 +0000

cairnzy_j wrote:
k_san wrote:An update!
Just rams home the definite advantages of installing a secondary fuel filter / water separator to be safe! Be something ill look into in the very near future!

After today I woulnd't be so convinced. Been running a secondary filter in mine for most of its life. Diesel from BP only, and at 180Km's my 06 D4d just cracked a piston judging by the horrific sounds coming from the motor. Toyota will rip the motor out asap to get a verdict. Not too thrilled to say the least.

Couldn't have happned at a worse time, right in the middle of my busiest time at work, doing 1500kms+ a week, and now I have no truck! :cry:

What did the noise sound like? mine has had new injectors and I still have an awful knocking noise. Hope its not piston crack.
allo

Previous

Return to Warranty/Recalls