STEINBAUER INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS.

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

STEINBAUER INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS.

Postby D4DEVIL on Fri, 29 Apr 2011 9:33 +0000

I knocked this out last night for a fella on here and decided to post it. Feel free to add anything you see fit.

FIRSTLY DISCONNECT BATTERY.

1 AND 2. UNDO THE INTERCOOLER MOUNTS AND ALSO THE THROTTLE BODY PIPE HOSE CLAMPS, JUST LOOSEN DONT REMOVE THE CLAMPS SO YOU CAN SWIVEL THE INTERCOOLER UP AS SEEN IN PIC 4

3. UNDO THE HOSE CLAMP AND SLIDE IT DOWN THE RUBBER HOSE. BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP DIRT AND STUFF DOWN THE PIPE, I WASHED MY ENGINE WITH A HOSE THE NIGHT BEFORE TO WASH OFF LOOSE DUST AND MUD. OR ALTERNATIVELY AN AIR GUN. WORK THE STEEL INTERCOOLER PIPE OUT OF THE RUBBER PIPE A BIT OF FORCE IS NEEDED.

4. PROP THE INTERCOOLER UP OR WIRE IT TO THE UNDERSIDE OF THE BONNET

5 AND 6. RUN THE STEINBAUER INJECTOR LOOM FROM BACK TO FRONT OF THE ENGINE, CAREFULLY UNPLUG THE INJECTORS AND PLUG THE STEINBAUER LOOM IN BETWEEN THE INJECTOR AND FACTORY INJECTOR PLUG. START WITH THE VERY END OF THE STEINBAUER INJECTOR LOOM AND PLUG IT INTO THE INJECTOR CLOSEST TO FRONT OF ENGINE.
JUST MAKE SURE YOU ATTACH THEM IN SEQUENCE. ZIP TIE THE LOOM TO THE FACTORY LOOM AND ENSURE ITS NEAT AND NOT GOING TO HIT THE INTERCOOLER WHEN RE-ATTACHED. RE-INSTALL THE INTERCOOLER AND DO UP ALL 3 HOSE CLAMPS FIRMLY BUT DONT CRUSH THE PLASTIC THROTTLE BODY.

7. RUN THE STEINBAUER WHITE REFERENCE WIRE THROUGH THE FIREWALL BUNG, ITS A REAL BASTARD TO DO SO I'LL LEAVE THAT TO YOU TO FIGURE OUT. (TIP. ITS EASIER WITHOUT THE INTERCOOLER PLASTIC COVER ON (BLACK))

8. RUN THE STEINBAUER WHITE WIRE DOWN TO THE PEDAL, TIDY UP WIRING AS YOU GO. SOLDER OR SPLICE IT INTO THE PEDAL REFERENCE WIRE (BLUE/WHITE)

9. ATTACH THE RED 12V POWER WIRE TO BATTERY AND BLACK TO EARTH. LEAVE THE GREY AS ITS SWITCH WIRE.

10. MOUNT THE STEINBAUER MODULE TO GUARD WITH HEAVY DUTY DOUBLE SIDED TAPE. CHECK ALL INTERCOOLER BOLTS AND HOSE CLAMPS. RE MOUNT INTERCOOLER COVER. CHECK AND SECURE ALL WIRING WITH ZIP TIES OR WHATEVER. CONNECT BATTERY AGAIN AND START.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NO WARNING LIGHTS AND TAKE HER FOR A TEST DRIVE. YOU MAY FIND THE HILUX BLOWS SOME SOOT IF YOU GUN IT HARD. THIS IS NORMAL AND CAN BE BACKED OFF BUT THIS REQUIRES PULLING BACK OFF STEINBAUER MODULE AND ADJUSTING POTENTIOMETER.

FYI THATS MY GUN SECONDARY FILTER INSTALL I DID, MADE THE BRACKET OUT OF VC COMMODORE WAGON TANK STRAPS! HAHAHAHA
Last edited by D4DEVIL on Thu, 06 Oct 2011 8:25 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
D4DEVIL

Re: STEINBAUER INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS.

Postby bill_i_am on Sat, 30 Apr 2011 5:07 +0000

Nice right up bud. Very well done (especially the pics). What arrangement did you use to mount the 2nd fuel filter? Can't quite work it out with the pics.

Billy
I might be slow, but I'm rough.......
bill_i_am

Postby D4DEVIL on Sat, 30 Apr 2011 8:59 +0000

Simple T bracket I made, few small welds. Bolts I nicked outta the tail shaft bearing housing. Bolted and loctited to existing bracketing bolt. Saved myself $800 Toyota slug you to mount one.
Last edited by D4DEVIL on Thu, 06 Oct 2011 8:22 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
D4DEVIL

Postby hobo on Sat, 30 Apr 2011 4:08 +0000

great instructions but more importantly pictures ;)

good stuff
hobo

Postby ktruck on Sat, 30 Apr 2011 4:26 +0000

Thanks mate, this will definitely help when I go to install mine.
ktruck

Postby BCH on Sun, 11 Mar 2012 12:00 +0000

Beware of the connection of the Steinbauer throttle reference sense wire if you have a drive-by-wire cruise control (Autron). I found that my ex-sparky incorrectly connected it and therefore the Steinbauer was disconnected when the the cruise was operating.
The comment I got from from the very helpful senior engineer at Autron was: "...correct in saying that your problem can be solved by connecting Steinbauer sense wire to the ECU side of the Cruise Control wiring. The Cruise Control works by switching from the vehicle's accelerator pedal to a simulated pedal when controlling speed. All signals including idle switches are present. If your Steinbauer agent contacts me for technical assistance I can advise him of which wire he needs to connect to. All I need from him is which wire the Steinbauer uses as a sense wire on the accelerator pedal."
BCH

Postby ira11y on Wed, 02 Oct 2013 1:54 +0000

Just fitted up my Stienbauer today and wanted to say thanks for the write up D4Devil, made finding the throttle trigger easy even though I have the wiring maps.

For anyone looking at the Stienbauer supplied voltage expectations if you have a fly by wire throttle they are not accurate, the 9V max relates to the older style throttle systems. For the record the measured voltages were 0.82V @ 0% throttle and 3.5V @ 100%.

You can actually use the VPA2 signal as a reference as well, this is the Green/Grey wire in position 3 on the plug. the voltages are slightly higher at 1.61V @ 0% and 4.3V @ 100% duty. VPA2 is simply the back up signal for the ECU, the ECU does also use it as a reference check against VPA1as well but that's all in the background and will not affect the general signal.

Has anybody used the switch off option with the Grey wire? do you ever use it? Ive been thinking about putting it in but not sure if I would ever bother turning it off.

I am mounting my module inside, has anybody else done the same? where did you end up mounting it?
Cheers
Michael

Without quantifiable facts there are merely opinions, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one
ira11y

Postby 63eh on Fri, 04 Oct 2013 9:49 +0000

Hi, mine was purchased with the switch option already done, uses a rocker type switch in the cab, have only used it to gauge the diff between chip and no chip, other wise cant see a use for it,

cheers

dan
63eh

Postby hefraz on Sat, 05 Oct 2013 2:45 +0000

I too must thank D4devil for the superb set of instructions, i live in Sri Lanka and there is no support what so ever for steinbauer. The steinbauer manual is confusing to a complete novice and d4devils instructions guided me towards a successful install. Thank you for the detailed post!
hefraz

Postby dpagey169 on Mon, 14 Oct 2013 7:34 +0000

how do you connect the grey wire to a switch, does it go to a earth or battery +??
dpagey169

Postby ira11y on Thu, 17 Oct 2013 10:10 +0000

You simply switch it to earth to disable the module, you can check it is working by looking at the idiot lights (LED's) under the cover. When switched to earth (and this had me fooled until I spoke to Steinbauer) the yellow light will stay on indicating the unit is turned OFF. A simple rocker or DSPS switch will do the job. I am trying to get Custom Rockers to make me one up with the hilux factory push switch.

I had the Lux on the Dyno this morning, you can read the results here http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5052
Cheers
Michael

Without quantifiable facts there are merely opinions, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one
ira11y

Postby obiee on Wed, 16 Apr 2014 9:52 +0000

ira11y wrote:You simply switch it to earth to disable the module, you can check it is working by looking at the idiot lights (LED's) under the cover. When switched to earth (and this had me fooled until I spoke to Steinbauer) the yellow light will stay on indicating the unit is turned OFF. A simple rocker or DSPS switch will do the job. I am trying to get Custom Rockers to make me one up with the hilux factory push switch.

I had the Lux on the Dyno this morning, you can read the results here http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5052

hi
just fitted my steinbauer (2nd hand and works a treat)
just with hooking a switch up the grey wire on chip harness is for switch so do i run that to switch
and then other terminal on switch to earth on battery?
any help much appreciated.
obiee

Postby obiee on Fri, 18 Apr 2014 7:52 +0000

can anyone help with connecting switch to the steinbauer pbox??
obiee wrote:
ira11y wrote:You simply switch it to earth to disable the module, you can check it is working by looking at the idiot lights (LED's) under the cover. When switched to earth (and this had me fooled until I spoke to Steinbauer) the yellow light will stay on indicating the unit is turned OFF. A simple rocker or DSPS switch will do the job. I am trying to get Custom Rockers to make me one up with the hilux factory push switch.

hi
just with hooking a switch up the grey wire on chip harness is for switch so do i run that to switch
obiee

Postby ira11y on Sun, 11 May 2014 6:18 +0000

obiee wrote:can anyone help with connecting switch to the steinbauer pbox??
obiee wrote:

hi

Using the SB wire just connect the other side of the switch to earth.

Link to wiring diagram
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?s=78acd06f40aa9ea522727472f5abaee8&act=Attach&type=post&id=3325994
Cheers
Michael

ira11y

Postby onejayzee on Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:11 +0000

Hi guys sorry to dig up an oldish thread but ive run into a small problem. I installed a second hand steinbauer unit this arvo and upon firing her up i heard ONE loud noise like a crack (almost like a loud knock or misfire) just before the motor started turning. I let it idle for about 2 mins and turned it off to restart it, and same thing.

LED on the SB flashes red repeatedly and amber LED goes faster once accelation is applied so the wiring is correct. This was done with engine off as a test.

I removed the harness and took it back to standard only to get that one cracking noise again on startup. After a quick blast down the road, i pulled up turned her off and cranked it again, this time it was back to normal, no noise. No loss of power.

Now i didnt get to test drive the car with the unit working in case it was an injector issue. But with the car correcting itself after returning it back to standard i think it may be timing related. Does the SB adjust timing also? And is it usual for the ECU to correct itself when the chip is installed for first time?

Chris.
onejayzee

Postby onejayzee on Fri, 30 Jan 2015 9:50 +0000

Just to make it more clear it sounds like when you turn the ignition on when the car is already running
onejayzee

Postby FAIL on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 6:59 +0000

BCH wrote:Beware of the connection of the Steinbauer throttle reference sense wire if you have a drive-by-wire cruise control (Autron). I found that my ex-sparky incorrectly connected it and therefore the Steinbauer was disconnected when the the cruise was operating.
The comment I got from from the very helpful senior engineer at Autron was: "...correct in saying that your problem can be solved by connecting Steinbauer sense wire to the ECU side of the Cruise Control wiring. The Cruise Control works by switching from the vehicle's accelerator pedal to a simulated pedal when controlling speed. All signals including idle switches are present. If your Steinbauer agent contacts me for technical assistance I can advise him of which wire he needs to connect to. All I need from him is which wire the Steinbauer uses as a sense wire on the accelerator pedal."

So which wire do you use then? Wouldn't hat mean that the Steinbauer is only on when cruise is activated?
FAIL

Postby Stephen123 on Sat, 07 Nov 2015 11:25 +0000

Is the reference wire the same colour on 2014 invincible. Also my steinbauer comes wit jus two multi plugs a six pin and a four pin any advice
Stephen123

Postby SC162 on Fri, 25 Aug 2017 6:13 +0000

Deleted post, got it sorted...
SC162

Postby lerroy on Tue, 07 Nov 2017 9:11 +0000

I just wanted to resurrect this thread with the working photos from photobucket now uploaded to imgur so they display correctly hope this helps anyone

D4DEVIL wrote:I knocked this out last night for a fella on here and decided to post it. Feel free to add anything you see fit.

FIRSTLY DISCONNECT BATTERY.

1 AND 2. UNDO THE INTERCOOLER MOUNTS AND ALSO THE THROTTLE BODY PIPE HOSE CLAMPS, JUST LOOSEN DONT REMOVE THE CLAMPS SO YOU CAN SWIVEL THE INTERCOOLER UP AS SEEN IN PIC 4

3. UNDO THE HOSE CLAMP AND SLIDE IT DOWN THE RUBBER HOSE. BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP DIRT AND STUFF DOWN THE PIPE, I WASHED MY ENGINE WITH A HOSE THE NIGHT BEFORE TO WASH OFF LOOSE DUST AND MUD. OR ALTERNATIVELY AN AIR GUN. WORK THE STEEL INTERCOOLER PIPE OUT OF THE RUBBER PIPE A BIT OF FORCE IS NEEDED.

4. PROP THE INTERCOOLER UP OR WIRE IT TO THE UNDERSIDE OF THE BONNET

5 AND 6. RUN THE STEINBAUER INJECTOR LOOM FROM BACK TO FRONT OF THE ENGINE, CAREFULLY UNPLUG THE INJECTORS AND PLUG THE STEINBAUER LOOM IN BETWEEN THE INJECTOR AND FACTORY INJECTOR PLUG. START WITH THE VERY END OF THE STEINBAUER INJECTOR LOOM AND PLUG IT INTO THE INJECTOR CLOSEST TO FRONT OF ENGINE.
JUST MAKE SURE YOU ATTACH THEM IN SEQUENCE. ZIP TIE THE LOOM TO THE FACTORY LOOM AND ENSURE ITS NEAT AND NOT GOING TO HIT THE INTERCOOLER WHEN RE-ATTACHED. RE-INSTALL THE INTERCOOLER AND DO UP ALL 3 HOSE CLAMPS FIRMLY BUT DONT CRUSH THE PLASTIC THROTTLE BODY.

7. RUN THE STEINBAUER WHITE REFERENCE WIRE THROUGH THE FIREWALL BUNG, ITS A REAL BASTARD TO DO SO I'LL LEAVE THAT TO YOU TO FIGURE OUT. (TIP. ITS EASIER WITHOUT THE INTERCOOLER PLASTIC COVER ON (BLACK))

8. RUN THE STEINBAUER WHITE WIRE DOWN TO THE PEDAL, TIDY UP WIRING AS YOU GO. SOLDER OR SPLICE IT INTO THE PEDAL REFERENCE WIRE (BLUE/WHITE)

9. ATTACH THE RED 12V POWER WIRE TO BATTERY AND BLACK TO EARTH. LEAVE THE GREY AS ITS SWITCH WIRE.

10. MOUNT THE STEINBAUER MODULE TO GUARD WITH HEAVY DUTY DOUBLE SIDED TAPE. CHECK ALL INTERCOOLER BOLTS AND HOSE CLAMPS. RE MOUNT INTERCOOLER COVER. CHECK AND SECURE ALL WIRING WITH ZIP TIES OR WHATEVER. CONNECT BATTERY AGAIN AND START.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NO WARNING LIGHTS AND TAKE HER FOR A TEST DRIVE. YOU MAY FIND THE HILUX BLOWS SOME SOOT IF YOU GUN IT HARD. THIS IS NORMAL AND CAN BE BACKED OFF BUT THIS REQUIRES PULLING BACK OFF STEINBAUER MODULE AND ADJUSTING POTENTIOMETER.

FYI THATS MY GUN SECONDARY FILTER INSTALL I DID, MADE THE BRACKET OUT OF VC COMMODORE WAGON TANK STRAPS! HAHAHAHA
lerroy

Next

Return to Fuel Systems