Racor fuel filter

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Racor fuel filter

Postby bluehilux on Fri, 30 Nov 2012 6:27 +0000

Hellbound wrote:From the research i did last year i found reports in the uk that the 2 + 2 setup( as in 2 micron prefilter with the stock 2 micron filter ) causes long term problems with the injector pumps as its stripping the fuel of all the additives that help lubricate the seals etc. And that the most used setup was a 10 + 2 setup, where the stock ones remains at the end of the chain with the 2 micron element, and a prefilter placed before the stock one was running a 10 micron.

30 micron wouldnt really cut it as a prefilter but there is a big difference between 2 / 5 and 10 micron ones. Either way the units youve mentioned should have a working buzzer / alarm or alerting system as bloody hell thats the whole point of installing one of these units as the stock one does filter quite well, and if changed regularly wont let bugger all through. Its the water in the fuel system which does all of the damage so which ever unit you buy, make sure its got a decent in-cab alarm to alert for water, which is saving it from going into the stock one which is crap for water filtration and large volumes of water in the fuel.

Ive gone with the racor 445 as it has a very high flow rate and had all the water sensor and detection stuff built in and hooked it up to a cheap buzzer / alarm i got off evil bay. Its gone off twice now on big trips and saved anything going further into the stock one...

The 30mic as a prefilter will not affect the fuel pump, but will pick up the biggest contaminates and help coalesce any dissolved water into droplets (to a degree).

My main problem with installing this filter as a secondary in 2mic is that you are giving Toyota an out for warranty.

If its upstream of their filter, they cant really blame it unless it's blocked solid. If its downstream they can.

Insta
bluehilux

Postby 2007Lux on Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:49 +0000

Hellbound wrote:From the research i did last year i found reports in the uk that the 2 + 2 setup( as in 2 micron prefilter with the stock 2 micron filter ) causes long term problems with the injector pumps as its stripping the fuel of all the additives that help lubricate the seals etc.

I read some debate on this on the pradopoint forum thread listed below but no real evidence there. ANy chance you can dig up a link on this?

Hellbound wrote:And that the most used setup was a 10 + 2 setup, where the stock ones remains at the end of the chain with the 2 micron element, and a prefilter placed before the stock one was running a 10 micron.

The service department at Kalgoorlie Toyota said they do not know the micron value of the OEM filter but believe it to be in the 8-10 micron range. Are you suggesting the OEM is 2 micron? It appears on the pradopoint link below people also believe the OEM is 2 micron.

Hellbound wrote:30 micron wouldnt really cut it as a prefilter but there is a big difference between 2 / 5 and 10 micron ones. Either way the units youve mentioned should have a working buzzer / alarm or alerting system as bloody hell thats the whole point of installing one of these units as the stock one does filter quite well, and if changed regularly wont let bugger all through. Its the water in the fuel system which does all of the damage so which ever unit you buy, make sure its got a decent in-cab alarm to alert for water, which is saving it from going into the stock one which is crap for water filtration and large volumes of water in the fuel.

Ive gone with the racor 445 as it has a very high flow rate and had all the water sensor and detection stuff built in and hooked it up to a cheap buzzer / alarm i got off evil bay. Its gone off twice now on big trips and saved anything going further into the stock one...

Where did you buy this from? The one I found online at
http://www.westernfilters.net.au/index. ... =21_42_131
does not come with the electronics for a buzzer as far as I can see.

The whole secondary filter debate is also covered in this link from pradopoint
http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.ph ... lubricants
"of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
2007Lux

Postby Swinder on Sat, 01 Dec 2012 5:08 +0000

Which one do you go as a secondry filter 30mic,10mic,5mic or 2mic . :?: Its a big toss up which way to go, I've got the 30mic filter with alarm(led light and buzzer) and it doesnt affect the flow of diesel
which i think doesnt stress the pump. All i want from the secondry filter is to warn me of water in the system..the origanal filter being a 2mic should catch all the other shit.
Swinder

Postby Hellbound on Sat, 01 Dec 2012 8:36 +0000

I go onto the UK debate about it over 2 years ago so but i found the link via a google search on the subject of a 2 + 2 pre filter and see what came up.

The stock one is deff 2 micron from what i could find out and the prado filter element is the same as far as i know so that could confirm it also.

I bought mine off of evilbay - racor 445r for 250 delivered, the water decection probe is extra at about 80 delivered - part number RK30880. Hook this up to a cheap combination buzzer / light inside the cab and away she goes. Connect up to accessory 12v and it tests the circuit on start up. Has a rating of 170 litres per hour which is way more than we need, and has proper 3/8 ports which are the same size as the fuel lines so theres f$@#&% all restriction there - ive seem plenty on here that people have installed and theyve got 5/16 ( 8mm ) ports which must be restricting the flow for sure

I used a 10 micron filter but a 30 would be fine as were not trying to filter everything with this pre filter - just catch the water and save the oem from doing all the filtration work, which from what ive been keeping an eye makes the oem not clog up anywhere near as bad as the works mostly already been done from the pre filter...

Ive cut up both after 20,000kms and the racor one was chockablock but the oem didnt need changing at all it was barely black along the bottom edge. This would suggest that the pre filter is taking out the big chunks of shit and the oem is a finer micron rating than 10, so its either a 2 or a 5 me thinks...
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby 2007Lux on Sat, 01 Dec 2012 8:12 +0000

Thanks Hellbound for your response. I'm now fairly sold on a prefilter with a buzzer/light. Like many have said it's the water you really need to stop as the OEM filter is quite efficient at it's job of filtration but lacks a decent size water trap. The extra filtration is just also a bonus of course
2007Lux

Postby felix on Mon, 03 Dec 2012 7:43 +0000

These Racor units look like the ultimate answer, can also be hooked up to alarm

http://www.westernfilters.net.au/produc ... 92332c855a
felix

Postby Alby on Mon, 03 Dec 2012 8:01 +0000

I have ordered a Waterwatch system ( no filter) from Responsive Engineering to be fitted by dealer to my new 70 series
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby felix on Mon, 03 Dec 2012 9:38 +0000

Alby wrote:I have ordered a Waterwatch system ( no filter) from Responsive Engineering to be fitted by dealer to my new 70 series

Alby
I'm not sure this is the total answer. When they replaced my injectors no evidence of water was found, was some other gelatinous gunk !

An acquaintance of mine has fitted the above unit to his Canter, it works the same way as the Waterwatch but has the added benefit of a filter, (also has visual and audible alarm).
felix

Postby Alby on Mon, 03 Dec 2012 11:35 +0000

Felix, if the gunk got through the OEM 2 micron filter filter do you think the 30 mic prefilter would of helped in your situation? Maybe it would I don't know.
My other concern is restricting fuel flow and damaging fuel pump with any restrictions, moreso with the bigger V8. The other issue is that I would need to carry more spare filters when touring so I have decided to go this way. Not sure if I have made the right choice but the main thing with whatever system you run is that it has an audible alarm that gives you plenty of notice to shut the motor down before any damage occurs.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby felix on Mon, 03 Dec 2012 12:38 +0000

Yeah looks to be a bit of a lottery !! Now let me see ........how much to replace 8 injectors :o

Good luck with the new beast.
felix

Postby Alby on Mon, 03 Dec 2012 12:50 +0000

felix wrote:Yeah looks to be a bit of a lottery !! Now let me see ........how much to replace 8 injectors :o

Good luck with the new beast.

About twice the $$$$ as the Hilux in round numbers :shock: :shock: :shock: I hope I never get to find out.
Alby

Postby 2007Lux on Tue, 04 Dec 2012 8:25 +0000

Just continuing my research on which filter/seperator system to go with and found this link for specs on the racor products

http://www.maesco.com/products/racor/r_ ... intro.html
2007Lux

Postby Swinder on Tue, 04 Dec 2012 9:01 +0000

2007Lux wrote:Just continuing my research on which filter/seperator system to go with and found this link for specs on the racor products

Hi 2007Lux
I've installed the FM 100 stanadyne water filter
good unit
Swinder

Postby 2007Lux on Tue, 04 Dec 2012 1:45 +0000

Swinder wrote:
2007Lux wrote:Just continuing my research on which filter/seperator system to go with and found this link for specs on the racor products

Hi 2007Lux
I've installed the FM 100 stanadyne water filter
good unit

Hi Swinder
Thanks for the reply. I have looked at this unit at a local auto shop and it looks good but the electrics for the water detector are exremely expensive. I also like the fact that the fuel manager filters are easy to obtain compared to the racor ones (where I live anyway).

One feature I am also after is a primer pump as I will have to mount the unit on the opposite side of the engine bay to the OEM one as I have dual batteries in an ARB tray with a continuous duty solenoid wired up where one might normally fit the additional filter. Why I believe I need this primer pump on the filter is because I viewed this youtube clip about installing a FM 100 prefilter on a 70 series and it suggests getting the primer pump if the filter is fitted on the opposite side of the engine bay as it takes half an hour to prime it using the pump on the OEM one. Any comments on this from anyone is appreciated. I also understand the FM100 can be fitted with a primer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoObVAA7F2k
read the second comment from the bottom regarding the need for a primer.

Lastly can anyone who has a Racor 445R unit installed give me the total height from the heighest point to the base of the water sensor?
2007Lux

Postby Hellbound on Tue, 04 Dec 2012 3:52 +0000

Racor 445 has inbuilt primer on top of the unit and is very easy to use as its a pretty heavy duty type of primer.
From the top edge of the primer to the bottom edge of the release spout its about 215mm with the release spout closed and another 30mm longer with the release spout open so id allow 250mm overall...

The filter itself is quite big which is you ask me is a great thing, in that the tiny piss ant oem one would clog very quickly whereas this one is atleast twice the size...

I order 10 filters at a time and get them sent over from eastern states at 30buks a pop, i always carry a spare when going away along with another oem one too.

Racor sell a whole bunch of other shit to go with the detector but all you need is the probe - park number RK 30880 cost 80buks and buy yourself a light / buzzer combo. dont waste your money on the whole water detection kit as you dont need it...
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby Brod_88 on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 4:14 +0000

Hey guys
This is my first time on a forum, I've got a 2012 dual cab T/D hilux and I've just mounted an ARB dual battery system. Where is the best spot for a secondary fuel filter, cause its a bit tight around the passenger side and I'm wanting to mount the ARB compressor in the small clearing on the drivers side
Thanks (any ideas or solutions would help)
Brod_88

Postby oggy on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 12:11 +0000

Alby wrote:Felix, if the gunk got through the OEM 2 micron filter filter do you think the 30 mic prefilter would of helped in your situation? Maybe it would I don't know.
My other concern is restricting fuel flow and damaging fuel pump with any restrictions, moreso with the bigger V8. The other issue is that I would need to carry more spare filters when touring so I have decided to go this way. Not sure if I have made the right choice but the main thing with whatever system you run is that it has an audible alarm that gives you plenty of notice to shut the motor down before any damage occurs.

fm100 is rated for over 300litres per hour, so I doubt any stress on pump would be a problem. Service manager told me oem is 10 mic and that algae not water is there biggest problem. So I run 10mic filters on our over head tanks and use wynns deisel conditioner in every tank on the lux.
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby 2007Lux on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 10:02 +0000

Brod_88 wrote:Hey guys
This is my first time on a forum, I've got a 2012 dual cab T/D hilux and I've just mounted an ARB dual battery system. Where is the best spot for a secondary fuel filter, cause its a bit tight around the passenger side and I'm wanting to mount the ARB compressor in the small clearing on the drivers side
Thanks (any ideas or solutions would help)

My two cents is to mount the compressor under the rear seat (see link below) and then put your prefilter above the drivers side guard in the engine bay. I have ordered my Racor445 and intend to put it there in the new year. Will post photos when I get it done.

Link to how to fit compressor under rear seat. Don't worry about noise as it's not like you use the compressor every day and when you do you are usually on holidays and your passengers will be in a happier more tolerant mood (hopefully).
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7237
2007Lux

Postby Jengel on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 3:50 +0000

Does anyone know the micron size of the original filter?
My shed: http://www.newhilux.net/myshed.php?view=1&id=3832
VK4JHE
You can follow . . . but it might hurt!
Jengel

Postby 2007Lux on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 8:42 +0000

Jengel wrote:Does anyone know the micron size of the original filter?

I think you will find there are many opinions out there but no one who can actually point you to a link which states it. Even my local Toyota Dealer's Service Department doesn't know.
2007Lux

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems