Fuel Light Flashing When Turning to the Right!

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Fuel Light Flashing When Turning to the Right!

Postby rasta on Sun, 20 Feb 2011 6:19 +0000

Long time lurker, first time poster. (Great forum you have all contributed too...)

I have a bizzare problem with my 09 Diesel Dual Cab SR5. I've got a fair bit of after market gear on it, one piece is a long range tank from TJM. The truck has done 30,000km (today!) but I'm striking a problem with the fuel light coming on.

Trouble started a month ago when whenever I turned the steering wheel to the right (when moving) the fuel light would come on (flashing) and would go away when the wheel was straightened up. Initially it would come on only when I'd turned the wheel about 90 degrees, but over a day or two it would need less and less right turning to come on. I could be driving at 80km's and turn into a gentle bend and the light would come on, only to go away with the slightest of wheel turns to the left.

I took it in to Toyota (got them to do the 30,000km service about 1000km's early). The mechanic serviced the car and made the comment "lots of water in the trap, water removed, could not generate fault owner has reported".

Didn't have a problem with it, until today when the same thing began to happen with turning the wheel to the right. I bled the water trap myself, and it's stopped it again.

Other points to note
    Turning the wheel to the right when stationary does not bring on the warning light
    Turning to the right or left when reversing doesn't bring on the light
    Driving in a straight line doesn't bring on the light
    I've never had a problem with the vehicle until this problem
    I haven't driven through any deep water for some time
I'm going to give Toyota a ring tomorrow but I'm puzzled by this. It's probably the fuel that's the problem, but I don't really know.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Why would it be only when turning to the right (even if it is fuel that's the problem when isn't the light flashing all the time??)

Anyone got any suggestions as to cause and treatment?
rasta

Re: Fuel Light Flashing When Turning to the Right!

Postby Steve9R on Sun, 20 Feb 2011 6:28 +0000

the only reason that fuel light will flash will be if there is water in the OEM water trap.

if its flashing and there is NO WATER in the trap, then yes you have an electrical short somewhere..

the easiest thing to do first of all to isolate the issue is to disconnect the two wire plug at the bottom of the black OEM fuel filter as these are the wires that control the flashing light.. once disconnected then take it for another drive and see if you can get the light to flash again.. if it does then it is definately a short in the wires somewhere if it dosent flash then the problem is either the water sensor in the bottom of the OEM fuel canister or there is water in the canister...

Let us know how that goes..
Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby amitch888 on Sun, 20 Feb 2011 6:33 +0000

Which fuel light? Water trap light or low fuel light?
FCCW
Mitch's Build

Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't.
amitch888

Postby Steve9R on Sun, 20 Feb 2011 6:35 +0000

amitch888 wrote:Which fuel light? Water trap light or low fuel light?

(same thing mitch! ;))..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby amitch888 on Sun, 20 Feb 2011 6:41 +0000

My 05 sr has a light at the bottom of the fuel gauge for low fuel and light half way up for the water in the filter warning (comes on each time you turn the ignition on). Well that's the way I understand it. Just run out and checked haha

Mitch
FCCW
Mitch's Build

Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't.
amitch888

Postby Steve9R on Sun, 20 Feb 2011 6:45 +0000

hmm.. i cant check that cause mine is the SR5, so ill have to take your word on that Mitch, but the low fuel light is the orange light that comes on during power up and that same light flashes if there is fuel in the canister, which is the same light that comes on when are you are low on fuel... :)

have a look at this thread (check the videos i did for showing that light).. :)

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5924

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby pisso01 on Sun, 20 Feb 2011 6:45 +0000

Maybe there isnt enough water in the trap to set off the light when your traveling straight but when you turn to the right the water got up one side of the bowl pushing the float up and setting off the light.. Ive never looked in the separator but I guess it could happen.. Maybe try parking on an angle so the drivers side is higher and see if it does it..

Cheers,

Chris
My touring Lux - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7795 - Nearly finished
pisso01

Postby amitch888 on Sun, 20 Feb 2011 6:55 +0000

The lights that's on there is my water trap light which I hope to never see come on while driving, picture of the fuel bowser lights up when I'm low on fuel. Sr5 are obviously different.

As for the problem I have no idea :?
FCCW
Mitch's Build

amitch888

Postby Steve9R on Sun, 20 Feb 2011 6:58 +0000

hmm you've got me doubting myself now !.. ;).. Im going to have to wait until i run low enough on diesel to check which light comes on ;)

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby rasta on Sun, 20 Feb 2011 7:11 +0000

Steve9R wrote:the only reason that fuel light will flash will be if there is water in the OEM water trap.

if its flashing and there is NO WATER in the trap, then yes you have an electrical short somewhere..

the easiest thing to do first of all to isolate the issue is to disconnect the two wire plug at the bottom of the black OEM fuel filter as these are the wires that control the flashing light.. once disconnected then take it for another drive and see if you can get the light to flash again.. if it does then it is definately a short in the wires somewhere if it dosent flash then the problem is either the water sensor in the bottom of the OEM fuel canister or there is water in the canister...

Let us know how that goes..

Thanks Steve, I'll have a go at it (if it starts doing it again) I only went for a quick spin after I bled the trap and it wasn't doing it then...

pisso01 wrote:Maybe there isnt enough water in the trap to set off the light when your traveling straight but when you turn to the right the water got up one side of the bowl pushing the float up and setting off the light.. Ive never looked in the separator but I guess it could happen.. Maybe try parking on an angle so the drivers side is higher and see if it does it..

I had though the same thing myself, I'll try the parking on an angle to see if I can encourage it to misbehave again...

amitch888 wrote:Image

Thats the light... it flashes and is accompanied by the high pitched whine...
rasta

Postby amitch888 on Sun, 20 Feb 2011 7:22 +0000

Good luck getting it fixed up. It's not a light I'd like to see come on!
FCCW
Mitch's Build

amitch888

Postby Jack S on Sun, 20 Feb 2011 7:38 +0000

Dude check the filter housing and make sure there is no water in it!
So fully drain the housing and see what comes out!

I had much the same problem, my fuel light was coming on now and again and once I drained the fuel housing there was a shot load of water in it!!
That's what I would be doing first anyway...
Jack S

Postby Rebs on Thu, 07 Apr 2022 8:25 +0000

I think you will find there are 2 fuel warning lights on an SR5. One is the bowser icon that illuminates when low on fuel in the tank. The other is the bowser icon with a series of dots beneath that flashes when there is water in the fuel filter, or stays on continuously when the filter medium becomes clogged indicating a change of filter is needed.
Rebs

Postby spiral07 on Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:31 +0000

So yesterday I had exactly the same symptoms - would bring on the light and the annoying buzzing whilst only turning to the right! I have a 2012 SR, when I drained the fuel filter assembly there was a small amount maybe 10-20mL of water in there. Must have been enough under right hand cornering to set off the float and turn on the alarm. Replaced the filter for good measure, the alarm hasn't come back yet!
spiral07

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 26 Apr 2022 7:25 +0000

Sounds like you worked it out that it only takes a little bit of water and a sharp turn to set the light. Maybe it's worth considering a prefillter with a glass bowl, allows you to see water BEFORE it gets into the OEM filter ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Return to Fuel Systems