D4D Power Up Chip - Build your own for $1

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: D4D Power Up Chip - Build your own for $1

Postby dt057 on Thu, 30 Jan 2014 2:53 +0000

Guys, pretty keen to see others who have tried this mod and their responses. It makes sense but would be very interested in the amount of rail pressure increase over standard and the expected HP gain. Very interesting tread. I'll keep my eye on this one. Thanks for posting.
dt057

Postby nosfx on Thu, 30 Jan 2014 3:44 +0000

doubleshot wrote:Nah mate ive got a tiger and theres some fellas on that forum that have built there own power modules using resistors very clever blokes if you ask me :D :D :D

I have an SE as well, but havent seen the mod over there...
nosfx

Postby TheGreenThing on Thu, 30 Jan 2014 11:11 +0000

Any updates? Im subscribing to this thread
TheGreenThing

Postby bentunit on Mon, 03 Feb 2014 7:55 +0000

axeten wrote:hmmmm. i'm not convinced.
More fuel does not = more power. More fuel + more air at a higher pressure in a better ratio = more power

I've got friends who's cars are pushing over 450HP at the wheels and they didnt just add some more fuel. they spent alomst a full day on the dyno mapping the fuel pressures/inlet flows for each 100rpm of the rev range.

The fact that you said the cold motor "death rattles" are worse just proves you are over-fueling the motor as the excess (unburnt) fuel is diluting the oil and causing the piston to rattle.

Plus you cant "add fuel" to make power without losing economy. The only way to get more power with the same economy is by modifying the air circuit. If anything. you need to take some fuel away from the standard MAP to slightly lean the ratio to increase power. Same as jetting a dirt bike.

Fair enough its cheap and anyone can try. Just puttin in my 2 cents. A dyno sheet would be great from anyone claiming this works too???

Your friends 450HP (commodore ?) petrol engine is a different animal , Commodore Ls-1 type engines run very rich std to reduce emissions ("rich" mixture burns cooler = low NOX , high HC ) .
Pulling fuel out of these engines will make power and economy .
Yes you can get more power with more fuel with a diesel (to a point).
EURO 3 CRD can handle more fuel with same boost BUT ; more fuel = higher EGT and more NOX (oxides of nitrogen).
Most chips /modules will increase duty cycle or fuel pressure with some increasing boost as well . Go to any chip manufacturer to see dyno reports . Excess air diesel is not the same as jetting any petrol engine , CRD engines idle possibly as "lean" as 30:1 (petrol engines 12:1 ) full load max 18:1 (petrol 11:1 ) . This mod sounds correct , i would like to see a little more research on those resister values , i would suggest to do this mod with an eye on EGT
bentunit

Postby Rodeo4jake on Sun, 16 Feb 2014 9:16 +0000

G'day Guys,
Thanks for sharing this mod, very interesting.
I have recently done heaps of research into deisel power up chips, after my $1500 unit was no good and I got my money back. From what I've been able to work out, this is exactly what any rail pressure chip does, using a slightly more complicated method of course.
The other type of chips use a process that lengthens the period of time that the injector opens, thus delivering more fuel that way. These are the ones that have a harness with a plug to each injector.
So if you have shelled out big bucks for a chip that plugs into the fuel rail pressure sensor only, you basically have what can be made for a few bucks at Jaycar.
With a deisel engine, the way to get more power is add more fuel, to a certain point. They are not as sensitive to air fuel ratios as a petrol engine.

Cheers Jake
Rodeo4jake

Postby dt057 on Sun, 16 Feb 2014 10:01 +0000

Rodeo4jake wrote:G'day Guys,
Thanks for sharing this mod, very interesting.
I have recently done heaps of research into deisel power up chips, after my $1500 unit was no good and I got my money back. From what I've been able to work out, this is exactly what any rail pressure chip does, using a slightly more complicated method of course.
The other type of chips use a process that lengthens the period of time that the injector opens, thus delivering more fuel that way. These are the ones that have a harness with a plug to each injector.
So if you have shelled out big bucks for a chip that plugs into the fuel rail pressure sensor only, you basically have what can be made for a few bucks at Jaycar.
With a deisel engine, the way to get more power is add more fuel, to a certain point. They are not as sensitive to air fuel ratios as a petrol engine.

Cheers Jake

What was the chip you had no luck with????
dt057

Postby Rodeo4jake on Sun, 16 Feb 2014 5:24 +0000

The chip was a Tunit,it made the car go well when it wasn't putting it in limp mode. I must say though, that I can't complain about the customer service I received from the people I brought it off. I did return it & let them send out another one, with different settings. But in the end it did the sme thing as the first one. Just random tripping of limp mode. I asked for my money back in the end,& they gave it back no problem.
I wish it didn't have those problems, because I liked the way the car went with it fitted.

Cheers Jake
Rodeo4jake

Postby TheGreenThing on Mon, 17 Feb 2014 12:45 +0000

So anyone can confirm this? Is it safe? I wish to do this mod to my non hilux car (fortuner d4d 2kd-ftv vnt)
TheGreenThing

Postby Hellbound on Mon, 17 Feb 2014 7:34 +0000

Ok so why on earth would anyone want to build this handyman type chip that only raises fuel pressure at the rail and nothing else which is the most dangerous way to make more power and eventually lead to limp codes and cracked pistons ?
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby CostaRicanHilux on Tue, 18 Feb 2014 1:55 +0000

Some people have a separate chip to control their boost levels in accordance with the extra fuel injected from either extra rail pressure, or a longer duration of injection, or both. :idea:
CostaRicanHilux

Postby Hellbound on Tue, 18 Feb 2014 4:15 +0000

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby sdp1989 on Wed, 23 Nov 2016 11:07 +0000

fark wrote:Guys, this works. Simple as that. It's no different to what the other chips do that just plug into the Fuel Pressure Sensor - they alter the signal.

I'm sure if i put the $1 parts into a sealed up plastic box and charged $500 for it with my dyno print out to prove results, people would have a different opinion.

Why would i go to so much trouble to write it up? As i said, my first Hilux did 130,000km with this mod and no problems.

Anyway, have fun doing the mod if you decide to, it's very easy to do.

Hey mate if I wanted to increase this more whys resistors would you run
sdp1989

Postby gtsteve on Sat, 10 Dec 2016 11:09 +0000

Come on you guys, you are a bunch of pussies. Surely there are a couple of guys out there who can solder better than I can, who are game to try it first.
"fark" thanks for your info, after a couple of other people on this forum those opinion I respect - due to their years of acquired knowledge and experience have said that it works, I unfortunately will have to wait.
"with my dyno print out to prove results, people would have a different opinion." I am sure that you are right. That would be really great, could you do that?
That is what everybody is waiting for, we hear a lot of claims on the internet, we just wish that we could see some figures.
Steve & Liz

'09 SR5 Hilux diesel auto. Stanadyne primary fuel filter/water separator, Provent 200 oil/air separator, Rear camera, key/door buzzer killed, Long range fuel tank, Oil cooler and Snorkel.
gtsteve

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 11 Dec 2016 8:59 +0000

Don't worry Steve there are plenty of people who insist they know better but really know nix. If you read The Prince by Machiavelli you will understand ;)

If you put it on a dyno that will cost YOU to help THEM :lol:
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Joukowski on Mon, 12 Dec 2016 10:27 +0000

Yes you will get more power with this easy method... thanks for putting it out there. & Here's an explanation on how it works:

In Petrol engines - you have constant air/fuel mixture. Hence more power, means more air and more fuel.

In Diesel engines - you don't throttle the air intake... if you need more power you change the timing and duration of the fuel cycle injected into the engine.

Hard wiring a resistor circuit and fooling the ECU to think it needs to up fuel injector pressure is akin to adding more accelerator pedal in operation, and will will give you a livelier response.

This may also give you more top end power if you can get the air intake to support the added fuel, it will be like adding volume 11 to your fuel delivery.
Joukowski

Previous

Return to Fuel Systems