D4D Power Up Chip - Build your own for $1

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

D4D Power Up Chip - Build your own for $1

Postby fark on Mon, 07 Jun 2010 5:30 +0000

OK, I’m just telling you a story. I make no claims about ACTUAL performance increases or whether this will affect warranty or longevity of the engine. Basically, you can just undertake this as a small exercise because YOU want to tinker with YOUR car and learn something. I would be willing to bet somebody else’s nuts that this modification is basically what the big boys do inside their “chips”, but you pay a lot more money for. Yes, they probably do it with a micro controller etc to provide infinite control etc, but this mod still works!

4 resistors wired correctly will provide a noticeable jump in power and not really change fuel economy – still approx 600kms to a tank. This modification was done to a Hilux that had travelled 130000kms and never a problem – although it did increase the “death rattles” on a cold morning. This mod has just been completed on a brand new Hilux with 200km on the clock plus several other Hilux’s. This new Hilux never had the rattles and still doesn’t with the modification.

This will only work on the later model Hilux’s - 2007 onwards – somebody can correct me here.

How does it work?
We are playing with the Fuel Pressure Sensor. The Sensor reports to the ECM to tell the ECM what the fuel pressure is at. The ECM will continually adjust the fuel pressure to keep it a preset mapped value/s.

The resistors create what is known as a voltage divider. They trick the ECM into thinking that the fuel pressure is too low, so the ECM responds by increasing the fuel pressure back up to what it thinks it should be. However, if you measured the fuel pressure with a gauge now, you would find that it would be higher than what the ECM reports it to be.

Increasing the fuel pressure squeezes more fuel through the Fuel Injector. More fuel equals more power. Simple.

The values of the resistors can be changed if you know what you are doing, but it has been found that the values given provides a conservative power increase without pushing the limits.

Parts required.
2 x ¼ watt 10K resistors
2 x ¼ watt 1.5K resistors
Electrical tape.

Tools required
Side cutters
Soldering iron and solder.

Method
1 Leave ignition turned off – disconnect battery if you feel that way inclined.
2 Remove Glovebox.
3 Locate the engine ECM – it’s the one with the most plugs in it.
4 The bottom connector has the 2 wires of interest – you might have to remove other connectors from other modules to make life easier.
5 Locate a Green with Red stripe (GN/RD) wire and a Red with Yellow stripe (RD/YL) wire in that bottom connector.
6 There is not much slack wire available, so work out the best spot to cut both wires so that you can successfully make new connections and or solder the wires back together again if you want. Basically don’t cut the wires right at the connector, otherwise you’ll be in a world of hurt.
7 Given the tight conditions, it is better to extend the length of each wire to make it easier to work with – perhaps some 4 core cable of similar gauge wire.
8 Follow the diagram of how the connections are made. It’s up to you whether you put the resistors on breadboard or just solder them straight onto the wires, you can even solder them onto the back of a DPDT switch so that you can turn the “chip” on and off. (Turning the “chip” on or off while the engine is running will sometimes bring the Check Engine light on and put the engine in Limp Home mode.
9 If you follow the diagram correctly, everything should work as normal, but with a bit more power. If you bugger something up, the Check Engine light will come on, so check your wiring again.
10 Find a suitable/good “earth” for the end of the 10K resistors. There are a bunch of Brown wires near the ECM which I believe to be “earth” wires.
11 Put everything back together.
12 Go and tell your mates how smart you are

fark

Re: D4D Power Up Chip - Build your own for $1

Postby doubleshot on Mon, 07 Jun 2010 5:38 +0000

are you sure your not on TRIUMPH TIGER 1050 forum :? :? :?
doubleshot

Postby henno on Mon, 07 Jun 2010 5:41 +0000

Mate sounds very intersting.

Deffinatly giving this a shot on the weekend.

Thanks for sharing the info!!
henno

Postby fark on Mon, 07 Jun 2010 5:59 +0000

doubleshot wrote:are you sure your not on TRIUMPH TIGER 1050 forum :? :? :?

WTF? Are you saying thanks or being a jerk?
fark

Postby doubleshot on Tue, 08 Jun 2010 5:13 +0000

Nah mate ive got a tiger and theres some fellas on that forum that have built there own power modules using resistors very clever blokes if you ask me :D :D :D
doubleshot

Postby highlucks on Sat, 19 Jun 2010 9:03 +0000

Has anyone else tried this and succeeded? Kinda wanna know of some more success before i go stuffing around.

PS I'm new to the forum, but I'm assuming that you know that the dealers are aware of those "death rattles" and will adjust under warranty?..Mines going in this week.
highlucks

Postby Viper82 on Sun, 20 Jun 2010 9:13 +0000

If you trust something for $1 on a $40k plus car go ahead. If it wasn't my car maybe I would try but its mine and worth to much too fool around with something that costs so little. It increases the fuel pressure which with most of the older chips puts the car into limp mode too. If you want more performance spend your money wisley on something that is guarenteed with a warranty!
Viper82

Postby Shaker on Sun, 20 Jun 2010 1:50 +0000

fark wrote:OK, I’m just telling you a story. I make no claims about ACTUAL performance increases or whether this will affect warranty or longevity of the engine.

In theory, it sounds ok and would work, but unlike mapping chips that alter the injector timings, increasing their supplied pressure (amount unspecified) as well as increased load on the injector pump over time could have these mechanical devices see a shorter life span? I'm only speculating, but it would stand to reason. D4D is 1700bar on the fuel rail I think is right. Would it be safe to mess with that by increasing pressure with these things in mind? It's not so much the value of the whole vehicle, but warranties will be voided and repairs expensive if it were to go wrong over time. So much as cutting a wire is obvious the ECU has been tampered with at some point. But thanks for sharing this.

Cheers.
Shaker

Postby Skog07 on Sun, 20 Jun 2010 7:16 +0000

Hmm.
I do have to admit I dont know squat on this chipping subject and dare not touch anything under the bonnet that I dont understand. But this thread should be put over into the fuel systems thread.
Thanks for sharing your info Fark and the detail explaining how the theory works.
Everyone should know that DIY modifications will not be warranted and any damaged caused not covered.
Cheers
Mark
Skog07

Postby olcoolone on Sun, 20 Jun 2010 7:34 +0000

This looks like a DP Chip but only cheaper.

The good chips will alter fuel pressure, injector timing and boost.

The DP Chip only alters fuel pressure.
olcoolone

Postby fark on Fri, 25 Jun 2010 5:00 +0000

Guys, this works. Simple as that. It's no different to what the other chips do that just plug into the Fuel Pressure Sensor - they alter the signal.

I'm sure if i put the $1 parts into a sealed up plastic box and charged $500 for it with my dyno print out to prove results, people would have a different opinion.

Why would i go to so much trouble to write it up? As i said, my first Hilux did 130,000km with this mod and no problems.

Anyway, have fun doing the mod if you decide to, it's very easy to do.
fark

Postby axeten on Fri, 24 Sep 2010 5:10 +0000

fark wrote:Guys, this works. Simple as that.

Any dyno figures showing this working. The theory is there i guess. What sort of power increase do you estimate you got? Cant be much if your fuel consumption hasnt changed.
axeten

Postby EWHDIESEL&MECHANICAL on Thu, 14 Oct 2010 9:47 +0000

hell yea keen as to do this sounds like a piece of piss, you could incorporate into a neet little plug so you can juast unplug it if you want, go you know if this will work on an o6 model
im still vet to gett my hands on a worshop manual and wiring harness for my vehicle, im pretty slack

but i believe this would deffinatly work, all sensors do is send a signal back to the ecm via a few different ways so if you alter that signal you ( as already said) you trick the ecm into doing something.

great post mate thanks

also do you know how much this bumps up the rail pressure, i would love some info to work out the math behind it to figure out the relation, resistance too rail pressure
EWHDIESEL&MECHANICAL

Postby axeten on Sat, 16 Oct 2010 3:39 +0000

hmmmm. i'm not convinced.
More fuel does not = more power. More fuel + more air at a higher pressure in a better ratio = more power

I've got friends who's cars are pushing over 450HP at the wheels and they didnt just add some more fuel. they spent alomst a full day on the dyno mapping the fuel pressures/inlet flows for each 100rpm of the rev range.

The fact that you said the cold motor "death rattles" are worse just proves you are over-fueling the motor as the excess (unburnt) fuel is diluting the oil and causing the piston to rattle.

Plus you cant "add fuel" to make power without losing economy. The only way to get more power with the same economy is by modifying the air circuit. If anything. you need to take some fuel away from the standard MAP to slightly lean the ratio to increase power. Same as jetting a dirt bike.

Fair enough its cheap and anyone can try. Just puttin in my 2 cents. A dyno sheet would be great from anyone claiming this works too???
axeten

Postby oldrev on Sat, 16 Oct 2010 3:57 +0000

just my 2 cents worth.
the bottom line of the whole chip scenario is simple
you wouldn't even consider it if you didn't want more go.
mine is standard they go pretty hard at that.
bottom line more power normally needs more fuel.
this goes with that at suzannes

in our quest for more power more torque etc some where along the way we gotta pay for it either in fuel or broken bits
i'm not sure if i'd still have a licence if mine went too much better.
might try this mod one day for something to do
regards
ken
oldrev

Postby EDVDB on Wed, 29 Jan 2014 8:49 +0000

Hi I am from Venezuela, and this topic caught my attention. so I have some questions
1) this modification applies to gasoline engines? Here in Venezuela the hilux come with two engine options, one is the 1GR-FE and the other is the 2TR​​-FE

2)en caso de que sea posible esta modificacion en el 2TR-FE, alguno tiene o conoce el diagrama de conexiones para hacerla?

I am very interested in this modification, since my manual transmission hilux 2010 with the 2TR​​-FE (2.7 VVTI) is a little bit slow and torque

Cheers
Erik
EDVDB

Postby mattwhite on Wed, 29 Jan 2014 8:55 +0000

No. The fuel pressure is mechanically controlled in a petrol, not electronically.
mattwhite

Postby c phillips on Wed, 29 Jan 2014 9:22 +0000

A mate of mine has a 2x4 petral 04 mdl i think and he is a clever lad now he did somthing very simalar to his little ute and he rekonds it made a hell of a differance, i could'nt tell exactly what he did though im sure he said some thing like "he changed resistors and it tricked the computer to thinking engine or fuel was cooler than it was "or somthing like that, not %100 sure but he's a strait shooter and if it did'nt do anything he would have said so.
c phillips

Postby c phillips on Wed, 29 Jan 2014 9:24 +0000

A mate of mine has a 2x4 petral 04 mdl i think and he is a clever lad now he did somthing very simalar to his little ute and he rekonds it made a hell of a differance, i could'nt tell exactly what he did though im sure he said some thing like "he changed resistors and it tricked the computer to thinking engine or fuel was cooler than it was "or somthing like that, not %100 sure but he's a strait shooter and if it did'nt do anything he would have said so.
c phillips

Postby CostaRicanHilux on Wed, 29 Jan 2014 10:07 +0000

Really cool idea here.
Would be awsome to see what the before and after PSI of the common rail is with this mod.
Is this changing the SCV values to pump in more fuel ?
great work !
Would love to see this done with a variable resistor, so you could adjust the setting easy !
CostaRicanHilux

Next

Return to Fuel Systems