FAQ CHIP IT Diesel Performance Solutions Power Module

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: FAQ CHIP IT Diesel Performance Solutions Power Module

Postby pure spirit on Wed, 27 Feb 2013 9:52 +0000

Hi Guys

Seems I may have a problem with my chip and interested to know if anyone has had the same and if there is a fix.

I'm running tune 5 with a egt, ran fine for a few months then i had a problem VSC coming on triggering the engine warning light which kicked in the limp mode (as i understand it) not fun on a busy expressway.
Anyway it's happen in three block (happening over the course of a few days to a week) normally about a month appart then seems fine. Sometimes it resets it straight way other times it can stay on for a day.
I tried to get it to a dealer whilst it was on but the only time i've got to one when it was on the mechanics had finished for the day and at my last service there was no record of the warning when they ran the scan.
I could not see the point in lying to them about the chip.. so narurally they have blamed it and recommend i run it for a while without it to see if it happens again. Have been running for about 3 wks now with no problem and i'm planning on giving it a bit longer.
Biggers problem is there is no typical time that it happens ie a couple of times travelling on a expressway, several time on a normal 60kmph road (driving straight) once at startup and once when i have stopped at a gate.
Anyone got any ideas ??
Don't tell my boat but I think I like my hilux more !
pure spirit

Postby CHIP IT on Wed, 27 Feb 2013 7:36 +0000

Hi PS.

Couple of things to try

If you reduce the tune to tune 3 does the problem still occur? If it does, set the Chip to factory tune (within our software)

If it still does it, and it doesn't do it with the Chip disconnected then the Chip or possibly the harness may be the culprit. Would be great if you had a scan tool to tell me what the problem is. I can do one for $100 to get you out of trouble. It will also tell you the CEL code description which not many will.

If the problem goes away on tune 3. Then your fuel pressure limiter is leaking back. I can send you a shim to bolder the performance of it if this is the case. Botch to do but stops your car from having this issue.

Let me know

Cheers

Robert
CHIP IT

Postby pure spirit on Mon, 04 Mar 2013 12:27 +0000

Thanks Robert

I'm just going to give it a couple more weeks then I'll start trying other things.

Pretty sure it's not the harness as this is still all plugged in with the blanking plug in place.

Next step is i'll run without the chip but the EGT on (i have disconnected it's power for the moment) then i'll follow your suggestions.
thanks noah
Don't tell my boat but I think I like my hilux more !
pure spirit

Postby CHIP IT on Mon, 04 Mar 2013 12:40 +0000

Any time Noah

Cheers
CHIP IT

Postby dirtyharry on Mon, 04 Mar 2013 5:55 +0000

Farrrrrk. Put my chip back in today after 10k without it. God I missed it
dirtyharry

Postby wnewton on Sat, 09 Mar 2013 3:34 +0000

I to have a Hilux with an issue seems like this is more common than Toyota would like the Australian public to believe.....Unbreakable what a joke. Mine is a 2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D. Since I purchased the car it has done 70000km. When I purchased the car I spent $15000 to get it reasonable. It has a Bull Bar HID Lights & Driving lights, 12000lb winch, Gas Struts with a 3" lift, diff lowering kit, rear comfort shackles, fires tine air bags rear, tow bar, Steel tray with alloy tool boxes, snorkel, UHF and a Chip it chip with petrol injection. Plus a few things I probably forgot. At 50000km the clutch blew up & was replaced under warranty but I did have to pay $300 towards the repair. Since new the stability control makes the front brakes lock up with normal cornering on the bitumen especially when towing a load. Now at 700000km it appears to have a cracked piston No 3. Of course Toyota is blaming the chip which I know has nothing to do with it. If the chip was (as they are supposed to) increase pressure in the common rail and it went to high the safety valve opens & the excess pressure is released & the car goes into limp mode. They cannot say definatley explain why the chip caused the problem but they are using it as a scapegoat to shift liability away from themselves. They are now telling me that any car with a chip is not covered under warranty.....why tell me now they have been servicing it since new with the chip & never expressed any concerns before or told me to remove it. Maybe they know there is an issue & these chips are a convenient out clause. I am still waiting for a final diagnosis and decision from them so will keep you posted.
wnewton

Postby CHIP IT on Mon, 11 Mar 2013 7:14 +0000

Well I can tell you that a customer explained to me what the issue is with the stability control. Silver Bullet (i believe is on this forum said that Toyta know if this ECU issue with raised suspension and are replacing ECUs.

Guys, i keep mentioning the point but when you go back to the dealer REMOVE THE CHIP FIRST as they will always blame the Chip ... regardless

With regards to the engine warranty wnewton, the Chip increases fuel pressure and this will AID in atomisation. What has happened here is that ONE injector has failed and streamed in the fuel so that it burnt the piston crown and possibly put a hole in it. Chips DO NOT make ONE injector squirt more fuel. Give them this news and also show them a Google search of "Toyota Failed Injectors" or Toyota Injector Issues. You will find heaps of info on this.

Then, make sure you are there to see them take the injector out. When they get it out, take it and get them to write down the injector serial number and YOU go get it tested by a recognised group. Their report will help you fight Toyota.

Hope this helps

Let me know how you go

Cheers

Robert
CHIP IT

Postby outbackjoe on Mon, 11 Mar 2013 8:05 +0000

The chip increases the probability of failure. Nothing to do with whether all injectors fail at the same time. Failure doesn't work like that. Each failure is an independent event, with the chip increasing the odds of the failure.

I'd rather people leave the chip in and seek the truth. Vehicle manufactures are becoming more defensive and making it harder to claim warranty because everyone is modifying their vehicles and then expecting the vehicle manufacturer to foot the bill. If you sell a bucket rated to hold 20kg and someone puts 30kg in it and the handle breaks would you provide warranty if it was your business selling the bucket? Installing a chip is tantamount to changing the rating sticker on the bucket. Mechanically it's unchanged. Whether the customer believed the bucket was ok to hold 30kg is irrelevant.

Leave the chip in, get to the bottom of it, if vehicle manufacturer blames the chip then get chip manufacturer to prove otherwise. Play fair for the sake of everyone else.
outbackjoe

Postby CHIP IT on Tue, 12 Mar 2013 1:13 +0000

So members you can leave the Chip in and have the dealer argue with you and you most likely lose the argument because you are not engineers or take my word for it (as an engineer) and remove the chip prior to going down to the dealer to have them look at the issue and apply the fixes or repairs that are in there bag of Toyota tricks.

Dealers are financially MUCH better off if they get you to believe the problem is yours. It is in THEIR best interest to have YOU pay. It has much less to do with them ACTUALLY addressing to probable cause and more to do with a financially better outcome for them. You pay, they make RETAIL profit on the parts and labour ($at least 50% mark-up and $120/hr. Or, Toyota pay and they make $30 per hour and get given the part free from Toyota!!

Take the situation above as a reference. Dealer did not even strip engine or remove injectors ... just blamed Chip. Its typical.

If the same car without a chip rolled in, the dealer would be forced to look at the problem and DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE. AND I BET, London to a brick, he would've reported back that "an injector had failed" (just like so many before you) and proceed to get the thing fixed under warranty without any dribble.

Remember, if the Chip causes the problem, an engineer will pick it as there is NO OTHER cause. ie injector spray pattern is fine and the pintle is still attached and operative, other cylinders are fine and not showing signs of heat.

If the injector has a shit spray pattern it will eat the piston to death. NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CHIP. And that's a fact.
CHIP IT

Postby timjkld on Tue, 26 Mar 2013 4:33 +0000

just a quick question the chip in my hilux is set up with dual tunes and a switch. can anyone tell me how to change the second tune using the software provided. it seems to pick up one tune fine but then when i turn the switch to the other tune it has problems connecting to the chip.

hope this makes sense.

cheers

Tim
timjkld

Postby CHIP IT on Tue, 26 Mar 2013 7:36 +0000

you can't. Its done only with the Pro Tuner Software.
CHIP IT

Postby timjkld on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 6:58 +0000

thanks Robert at least i know now.

Cheers

Tim
timjkld

Postby CHIP IT on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 12:40 +0000

no probs
CHIP IT

Postby wnewton on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 4:08 +0000

post deleted
wnewton

Postby Jack S on Wed, 27 Mar 2013 4:20 +0000

Post deleted
Jack S

Postby Bollochs on Tue, 05 Aug 2014 5:02 +0000

What happened to chipit? Can't find you guys online. Www.chipit.com.au says no server could be found...
Bollochs

Postby whitey89 on Tue, 05 Aug 2014 5:16 +0000

went out of business back in March.
whitey89

Postby Vylen on Tue, 05 Aug 2014 7:45 +0000

Yup, they became insolvent in March.
Vylen

Postby Bollochs on Tue, 05 Aug 2014 7:54 +0000

Thanks, that sucks I was hearing good reports. Has anyone taken over selling their chips?
Bollochs

Postby Bollochs on Tue, 05 Aug 2014 7:57 +0000

Hi guys, can anyone recommend a good chip upgrade that isn't gonna send me broke? Thanks
Bollochs

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems