Sub tanks or Replacement?

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Sub tanks or Replacement?

Postby jaydo on Wed, 11 Nov 2015 11:13 +0000

Sorry to bring up and old thread, however after reading through this thread, a few guys were worried about putting the aux tank behind the rear axle because of back end weight + towing. I never tow anything and if I did the heaviest thing would be a jet ski. I fully load the back of my car up when we go away camping and also put my RTT on the back of the car where the ladder racks are. My spare wheel I can relocate onto a custom bar that I currently have on the back of my car as well.

Even though I am not towing anything, would the fuel tank + the rear set up on my car be too heavy? I want to do a gravity fed tank and I am currently running 280kg constant load in the rear. Haven't been able to make it sag yet, even when fully loaded on the way to Cape York.

Pictures of my rear set up can be seen in my build thread fully loaded.

Trying to decide whether to do replacement tank or secondary.
Cheers!
jaydo

Postby DeadlyBeast on Wed, 11 Nov 2015 3:06 +0000

You'll be right Jaydo... You're not driving a Navara.
Weight is compatible to having a bloke sit in the back of the tub - think the lux can handle that.
You will lose about 70mm clearance if you keep the spare wheel under the tub but the sub tank wont suffer any dents/loss of fuel capacity.
I never had any problems with mine. Comes down to personal preference and intended purpose.
DeadlyBeast

Postby neil clarke on Wed, 11 Nov 2015 3:37 +0000

G day Jaydo, I have had a 70 ltr OL Tank for the last 3 years. I had some problems initially with cracking around the hole for the spare wheel winch caused from vibration when the tank is empty(I don't carry my spare under the tank) and since then I have used a 12mm thick square of plastic sheet approximately 400mmx 400mm winched up by the spare wheel holder and syker flexed in place. That was 60000k ago and no problems since.
The y tube supplied by Dolium so that one filler could fill both tanks was workable but it took too long to fill both tanks (215ltr in my case)in total. I solved this by using two separate fillers and flexible 50mm fuel hose to both tanks. I have a tray so you would have to custom some thing for your styleside body (an 80 series filler assembly if it fits would be ideal).
Bang for buck as you still have the standard main tank I would go with an long range main tank first as the cost for the OL 70ltr was not much different to a LRA 145 main tank.
if using an Aux tank such as the OL 70ltr the weight should not be a problem and as the fuel will gravity feed in to the main. As you travel the weight will lessen from behind the axel first.
One last point is think about going to a major plastic tank manufacture and ask them if they can make one. In Townsville we have Gough plastics and if you give them the external measurements etc they will using CAD can tell you how many ltrs it will hold etc and the price.
Food for thought.
Regards
Neil
neil clarke

Postby jaydo on Wed, 11 Nov 2015 6:02 +0000

thanks for the info guys. When the funds allow I will probably hit you up for a bit more info. Hopefully will get a chance to upgrade in the next month or two.
jaydo

Previous

Return to Fuel Systems