Steinbauer Chip Setting ?

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Steinbauer Chip Setting ?

Postby ira11y on Sun, 20 Oct 2013 8:50 +0000

Matt do you run an EGT? be interested to know what temps you got on the new england run and where your sensor is located. I fitted one up yesterday on the factory exhaust, not in the ideal position at about 5cm back past the end of the dump pipe. It will be located directly behind the turbo when I get the 3" system in but for now it will do as I compare temps with the Steinbauer from factory settings.
Cheers
Michael

Without quantifiable facts there are merely opinions, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one
ira11y

Postby matt150 on Sun, 20 Oct 2013 10:41 +0000

My exhaust is factory and hence no egt fitting or Gauge yet. It was hot going up thru the moonbie range and I reckon the Steinbauer turned its self off a few times, so the safety settings seem to work well. After researching a few exhausts systems, I'm thinking a system with a two inch initial dump pipe, flared out to three inches about half way down the length of the dump pipe.

I use the three o'clock setting and everything is sweet.
Prado 150 TD Manual
matt150

Postby ira11y on Sun, 20 Oct 2013 2:33 +0000

Matt that's an interesting choice of dump pipe design, may I ask what you hope to achieve by restricting the flow straight after the turbo?

I believe the turbo outlet is 2 3/4" can anybody confirm that spec? should have measured yesterday while I had access DOH!

IMHO most turbos will perform better with the least amount of restriction at the dump pipe, although some claim issues with over boost on the D4D, I believe that's more to do with the ability to close the waste-gate fast enough than an exhaust issue.

On a traditional (read old school, and I'm talking mid 80's -90's) waste gate we used to increase the spring tension very slightly to over come the problem (we also used to feed gas in front of the turbo to keep the spool speed up but that's another story :P) . On the D4D its electronically controlled so not as easy to modify.

However a decent muffler in the system should be more than enough to overcome any potential problem. We are after all only talking about a max of about 4500rpm here not 9000rpm of gas flow. We could do the maths to get the amount of potential airflow but I CBF on a Sunday night.

I believe most of the limp mode issues we hear about are from vehicles running straight thru 3" systems where there is almost no restriction at all. I am not in favour of a complete straight thru exhaust, apart from the noise (signs I am getting old!) the difference in performance to having a muffler will be less than 1Kw. If you can feel that difference in your daily driving you are doing way better than me. And giving up 1Kw to avoid an over-spool and limp mode kicking in seems a fair trade off.

The only other solution would be to by pass the electronic control of the waste gate, you could use something similar to a sprint booster to speed up its movement, but its likely the stepper motor would fail a lot quicker with the extra load.
Cheers
Michael

Without quantifiable facts there are merely opinions, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one
ira11y

Postby ira11y on Sun, 03 Nov 2013 9:25 +0000

Matt50 do you still get a lot of smoke out the back with it set at 3 when you floor it?
Cheers
Michael

ira11y

Postby europalife on Mon, 30 Dec 2013 5:34 +0000

ira11y wrote:Matt that's an interesting choice of dump pipe design, may I ask what you hope to achieve by restricting the flow straight after the turbo?

I believe the turbo outlet is 2 3/4" can anybody confirm that spec? should have measured yesterday while I had access DOH!

IMHO most turbos will perform better with the least amount of restriction at the dump pipe, although some claim issues with over boost on the D4D, I believe that's more to do with the ability to close the waste-gate fast enough than an exhaust issue.

On a traditional (read old school, and I'm talking mid 80's -90's) waste gate we used to increase the spring tension very slightly to over come the problem (we also used to feed gas in front of the turbo to keep the spool speed up but that's another story :P) . On the D4D its electronically controlled so not as easy to modify.

However a decent muffler in the system should be more than enough to overcome any potential problem. We are after all only talking about a max of about 4500rpm here not 9000rpm of gas flow. We could do the maths to get the amount of potential airflow but I CBF on a Sunday night.

I believe most of the limp mode issues we hear about are from vehicles running straight thru 3" systems where there is almost no restriction at all. I am not in favour of a complete straight thru exhaust, apart from the noise (signs I am getting old!) the difference in performance to having a muffler will be less than 1Kw. If you can feel that difference in your daily driving you are doing way better than me. And giving up 1Kw to avoid an over-spool and limp mode kicking in seems a fair trade off.

The only other solution would be to by pass the electronic control of the waste gate, you could use something similar to a sprint booster to speed up its movement, but its likely the stepper motor would fail a lot quicker with the extra load.

Irally you seem to have a bit of knowledge on this topic and welcome anyone else's feedback. I have a 2006 hilux auto and a year ago I had the steinbauer and taipan 3 inch exhaust installed. I had major issues on a road trip from Brisbane to Port Macquarie in NSW. It went into limp mode on every incline. It took forever to get there!!! After looking into several problems it' was finely narrowed down to the steinbauer unit. Steinbauer to their credit were very helpful and it was sent back to them for retuning and they said the issue was because of the 3 inch exhaust I was running so they made adjustments to the unit. I didn't think much of it at the time because while steinbauer were helpful I just thought they were offloading the problem. I rang taipan and of course they blamed steinbauer. I'm not overly mechanically minded so it's hard to work out who has the correct facts. Now it made a difference for 99% of the time however after just arriving home doing the same trip it went into limp mode twice. Generally around speeds of 80 to 100km/hr and going up a hill. As soon as I accelerated to hold speed it went into limp mode. Kind of scary when you have trucks up your tailgate. It's also a concern because I pick up our caravan this week and I'm worried under load it will happen more which puts my family at risk on the road. So the question is irally do I get a different exhaust or just disconnect the unit. I will be calling steinbauer tomorrow as previously they said if this didn't work they had another cable (I have no idea what it does) for $900 that can be connected that will 100% fix the problem. It's a gamble to spend another $900. Any feedback appreciated.
2006 SR5 Auto Hilux towing Australian Off-road Quantum
europalife

Postby viney87 on Mon, 30 Dec 2013 7:05 +0000

hi europalife,
I would be hoping they give you a wire for a faulty product
viney87

Postby europalife on Tue, 31 Dec 2013 4:19 +0000

viney87 wrote:hi europalife,
I would be hoping they give you a wire for a faulty product

Apparently it's a speciality product that gives even more power and fixes a problem that occurs in some Vehicles. Steinbauer reopen on January 6th so will update the forum on what they say and specifically what the product does. I really hope to get the true cause. From all the reading I have done my gut feeling tells me it's the exhaust but I have no mechanical background or evidence to back it up. Interestingly for the month I didn't have the steinbauer chip connected while it got retuned I had no issues with the limp mode and the power loss was noticeable. ARB at the time also advised me to only get a 2 3/4 exhaust upgrade. I'm thinking I should have taken their advice.
europalife

Postby LUX666 on Tue, 31 Dec 2013 4:29 +0000

Hi europalife,

Mate I run a Steinbauer chip and a Tiapan 3" exhaust and touch wood have never had an issue, but I did look into this quite extensively and have in conjunction with a mate who is a service manager at a Toyota dealership, looked at what may be causing the issues you and many other are experiencing.
First thing that come to the surface was it was more common in vehicles pre 2009, and secondly mainly in autos but some manuals also have experienced these issues.

According to him and a technical bulletin from Toyota the issue lies with aa load sensor on the auto transmission, when the torque gets quite high the vehicle to protect itself puts itself into limp mode, this is also common in colder climate as the cold air increases the efficiency of the engine and the torque goes up.

The manual gearbox also has a load sensor but it's not as sensitive, but under a high load, whether towing or pushing hard uphill it can also put the vehicle into limp mode.

The fix for this is that the sensor can be reprogrammed to a higher value, but most dealerships wouldn't know how to get into that side of the programming, and Toyota it not overly helpful in that area.

So don't let anyone tell you that a 2 3/4" would have been better than a 3" because a 2 3/4" straight through and a 3" with a muffler would have very similar back pressure, I have seen guys running 3 1/2" systems with no issue. If you can get someone to look at reprogramming the auto sensor you may just solve the issue. I am also led to believe that from 2010 up Toyota changed the parameters of this sensor and the issue is not as prevalent, but with some of the wilder chips it can still happen.

Before you fork out another $900, I would be asking a lot of questions about what this cable does, don't forget this problem is not just from Steinbuer, most aftermarket chips experience this issue when turned up.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

John
" If All Else Fails !, Read The Instructions !"
LUX666

Postby europalife on Wed, 01 Jan 2014 6:22 +0000

Thanks heaps John. I have also been told the issue is with pre 2009 as well. Just so happens mine is an auto as well. While my local Toyota dealership is good however I find once you start adding extras on they are not overly knowledgable or willing to investigate which I can understand to a point. I will bring this up with them as well as ARB and hopefully it can be resolved. ARB are already trying to convince me to swap the steinbauer unit for another one of their models that overcome this problem. I told them I would be happy to swap it but I'm not paying the extra $600. Next week should reveal a lot more but I will certainly ask my Toyota dealership about the sensor.
europalife

Postby dute on Wed, 01 Jan 2014 7:12 +0000

Its interesting to read this thread as I have had 07 auto SR since new it now has 80k on it and for the last 60k it has had a 3" exhaust with a Steinbuer chip and boost control unit running just a tad more boost than standard ;) . the chip has been custom tuned.

And in all the time since having the mods done for the last 60k it has never gone into limp mode, I have a EGT Gauge fitted and on my trips thru the high country I have never seen my temp go higher than 575'.

So I believe its all working well.

I keen to see what Steinbuer have to say about this cable for an extra $900.

Pete. 8-)
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby LUX666 on Wed, 01 Jan 2014 11:07 +0000

You have to remember on thing about these modules, the Steinbauer is one that causes the lest amount of issues, not that there is anything wrong with the others, they increase rail pressure were as the Steinbauer remaps the injectors, but here is something to think about, and yes I again have looked quite extensively into this as well.

The Prado 120 series post 2006, engine is same as the Hilux, however output 126 Kw and 410 Nm, the Hilux is 126 Kw and 343Nm when we chip the Hilux's we push the power to approx 150Kw and torque to around 400Nm, when you chip the Prado you increase power to approx 154Kw and Torque to approx 495Nm, add a snorkel and an exhaust and the Prado gets to about 160Kw and about 520Nm, so this is well above what we are pulling out of the Hilux and yet no issues with the Prado, I am talking the Steinbauer chip here as well, and yet both hilux and Prado are the same chip from Steinbauer, same part number and are interchangeable,
so what is the difference, same engine ! the difference is the Auto it's the 5 speed and the Manual Gearbox is the 6 speed, both designed to cope with the higher torque output of the engine.

I did ask 3 years ago to have my engine mapped to the same as the Prado, and was officially told different ECU, unofficially told no as the drive train would not take it, that's rubbish of course, but they are covering their butts from any potential isses.

The interesting thing is the new generation upgraded Hilux will have the 5 speed Auto, apparently Toyota will be phasing out the 4 speed.

When you put all this together you will see the issue is the driveline, it's not the chip and certainly not the exhaust. If you have a look on the Steinbauer website they currently don't list a chip for the Hilux, Toyota changed some parameters in the engine in the 2011 onwards vehicles and the old chips are not compatible.

If these so called experts are sure that their suggestion will work, tell them to instal it for free and run it for a couple of months, if it works pay them, if not they can put it back the way it was, watch them run away from that.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers

John
" If All Else Fails !, Read The Instructions !"
LUX666

Postby StevenS on Wed, 01 Jan 2014 11:44 +0000

I thought the Prados ran a slightly larger VVT turbo than the Hiluxs, which accounted for the higher power/torque output and why if you do the same chip mods to either vehicle the Prado always comes out on top. So whilst you can get a chipped Hilux to produce the same/similar output to a stock Prado, the Hilux engine will end up being more taxed as you're accomplishing that by running the Hilux turbo and fuel system harder than what they were intended.
StevenS

Postby Luxury12 on Thu, 02 Jan 2014 9:15 +0000

Ive turned my steinbauer chip to highest setting an im gettin 10.9l/100km
Luxury12

Postby Luxury12 on Thu, 02 Jan 2014 9:16 +0000

Ive turned my steinbauer chip to highest setting an im gettin 10.9l/100km
Luxury12

Postby europalife on Thu, 02 Jan 2014 1:04 +0000

So the update is. I have spoken to Toyota, ARB, Steinbauer and Taipan and each has a convenient excuse and each likes to blame the other. So nothing has changed there. They all have their various opinions on the cause of limp mode.

To the first mistake. ARB should have advised me to get the unit with the boost control because of my 3 inch exhaust. It's roughly an extra $550 over the standard unit ($1800 in retail)and was designed to address the problem of the hilux going into limp mode. Alternatively you can pay $900 for a plug in cable to the existing unit that has the boost control.

Steinbauer wouldn't honour my 3 year warranty because technically there is nothing wrong with it and blamed ARB for giving me incorrect advice. ARB of course would only offer a free install on either the cable or new unit of which I had to pay retail for. Steinbauer also said that if I removed the muffler system the ute would work fine. So either way they all seemed fine with me burning up my money yet took zero responsibility for their own actions and lack of advice. I put forward the argument that steinbauer are acutely aware that certain hilux are having the limp mode issue and have even come up with a product to over come it so they have an obligation of ensuring a drivers and it's passengers safety by replacing my unit with the correct one. I was even prepared to pay the difference for the upgrade. I was in no way expecting it for free I just simply wanted a full refund on the original and pay the difference on the upgrade. There reply was "sorry it's a used device now and we can't sell it new"

Toyota said it had nothing to do with the auto sensors and also blames the exhaust system for spooling up the turbo too much.

So after many phone calls i hit the roof and told steinbauer and ARB to work something out. Finally they agreed to trading the old one in (12months old) and I am to pay $600 to get the unit with the boost control. They still wouldn't allow me to claim it on warranty. ARB will do the install for free. So basically in the wash up its cost me an extra $100 over what it should have originally and whole lot of grief. I'm not impressed.

So my advice is this for everyone getting their 2006 auto hilux chipped. Pay the extra and get the steinbauer unit with the boost control. There is no concrete conclusion as to the cause except everyone seems to like to blame the 3 inch exhaust.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Greatly appreciated.

The new unit will be fitted shortly and will have an update. I'm really hoping it's going to do the job.
europalife

Postby ira11y on Sat, 04 Jan 2014 4:57 +0000

europalife wrote:
ira11y wrote:Matt that's an interesting choice of dump pipe design, may I ask what you hope to achieve by restricting the flow straight after the turbo?

Irally you seem to have a bit of knowledge on this topic and welcome anyone else's feedback. I have a 2006 hilux auto and a year ago I had the steinbauer and taipan 3 inch exhaust installed. I had major issues on a road trip from Brisbane to Port Macquarie in NSW. It went into limp mode on every incline. It took forever to get there!!! After looking into several problems it' was finely narrowed down to the steinbauer unit. Steinbauer to their credit were very helpful and it was sent back to them for retuning and they said the issue was because of the 3 inch exhaust I was running so they made adjustments to the unit. I didn't think much of it at the time because while steinbauer were helpful I just thought they were offloading the problem. I rang taipan and of course they blamed steinbauer. I'm not overly mechanically minded so it's hard to work out who has the correct facts. Now it made a difference for 99% of the time however after just arriving home doing the same trip it went into limp mode twice. Generally around speeds of 80 to 100km/hr and going up a hill. As soon as I accelerated to hold speed it went into limp mode. Kind of scary when you have trucks up your tailgate. It's also a concern because I pick up our caravan this week and I'm worried under load it will happen more which puts my family at risk on the road. So the question is irally do I get a different exhaust or just disconnect the unit. I will be calling steinbauer tomorrow as previously they said if this didn't work they had another cable (I have no idea what it does) for $900 that can be connected that will 100% fix the problem. It's a gamble to spend another $900. Any feedback appreciated.

Hi europafile, just replied to your PM, sorry for the delay, I was away for XMAS break. One thing I missed on your PM was the Auto box issue, it has been talked about quite a bit and the turbo control Stien should help to solve the problem but maybe consider some of my other suggestions as well, glad that you are getting a result even if it is costing you some coin (when does it ever not in these sorts of arguments with product suppliers!) never be afraid to heavily question a product, suppliers in this country never get any real heat from the consumer nor the supposed govt bodies that are supposed to regulate them in this country.
Cheers
Michael

ira11y

Postby 1MATTO on Sat, 04 Jan 2014 7:15 +0000

Hi can anyone tell me which colour wire on the accellorator sensor plug to connect the wire from my steinbauer chip to on a 2013 hilux, I have done the voltage check and I get a pulse reading on two different coloured wires
1MATTO

Postby boxhead55 on Sat, 04 Jan 2014 9:36 +0000

Just read the entire thread and omg!
Ok just for your info
More power = more fuel = more heat

=

PLEASE!

Be aware
More fuel makes the hilux a dream but also can cause 15000 hole in your pocket. ( and a piston)

Chips work don't get me wrong. But please. Be aware of the risks if you push too far!

Have a great day.
boxhead55

Postby StevenS on Sat, 04 Jan 2014 10:19 +0000

Does the steinbauer chip have the option for an on/off switch?

I have a chipit module installed in mine, with an on/off switch on the dash. I'd say 99.9% of the time the chip is turned off, because frankly the NEED for extra power is a rare thing (and my ute is loaded to the gunnels with tools/equipment etc).
For those rare occasions I decide to use the chip, it's on for about 10 seconds or so at the most and only on one of the mid-level tunes.
Even though the Steinbauer provides more power in a manner that is considered "safer" than traditional rail pressure chips (like my ChipIt) you're still asking more of the engine and if Toyota could achieve better power/torque and economy in a reliable manner just by using different injector timing I'm sure they would have.

A chip is something that can cause a lot of damage to your engine, but I do believe they can be used safely and whilst minimising the risk. Running them all the time is just asking for trouble in my humble opinion.
StevenS

Postby boxhead55 on Sat, 04 Jan 2014 10:44 +0000

Well said !!!
boxhead55

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems