Steinbauer Chip Setting ?

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Steinbauer Chip Setting ?

Postby boxhead55 on Sun, 26 Jan 2014 4:42 +0000

Just a chip. No names sorry. Mate. Have to follow forum rules
boxhead55

Postby JUSTAUTOS on Sun, 26 Jan 2014 4:43 +0000

Did Toyota test the injectors box head or do u send them out?
JUSTAUTOS

Postby StevenS on Sun, 26 Jan 2014 5:07 +0000

boxhead55 wrote:That engine did not get hot when the cylinder died it logged data. It was only 92 deg c
It was over fueling tho.

That's the engine temp, but the computer wouldn't have been able to determine cylinder or exhaust gas temps right? I know these will eventually affect the coolant temps but I would think if it was running deadly EGR temps then it probably wasn't doing it long enough to raise the coolant temps up. As it stands isn't 92 degrees already higher than what is considered "normal"?
StevenS

Postby Talktheroo on Tue, 04 Feb 2014 5:12 +0000

StevenS wrote:the genuine performance chip is mentioned below:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3834

also mentioned on page 22 of a genuine catalog. For the 1KD it comes to 145kw and 430nm.

Perhaps a reason why it is advertised as a genuine update over there and not here in Australia is due to the higher quality diesel over there. If dodgy, low cetane diesel isn't a real issue then I imagine they could provide a more aggressive tune for the European Hilux (similar in how certain performance cars require 98 octane).

In some words, ambient temperatures in Australia plays it's part on these decisions, Steven.
To do with the Steinbauer, installers need to really start thinking about the harness and how they incorporate the Steinbauer harness into the genuine Hilux harness. Nothing can be rubbing, including the plugs, and everything tied away from the intercooler, etc, etc......
Just my opinion.
The Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby VMANN on Wed, 12 Feb 2014 6:56 +0000

any updates ?
WHEN IN DOUBT, GO FLAT OUT.
VMANN

Postby mrkylejones on Sat, 29 Mar 2014 2:05 +0000

Hi guys, i just installed 3" redback exhaust. I should get the more expensive steinbauer chip with the boost control correct? Cheers!
mrkylejones

Postby europalife on Sun, 06 Apr 2014 8:30 +0000

mrkylejones wrote:Hi guys, i just installed 3" redback exhaust. I should get the more expensive steinbauer chip with the boost control correct? Cheers!

Just from experience I would advise yes get the one with boost control. It solved the problem of vehicle going into limp mode. A lot of hilux owners have had no issues but to be on the safe side I recommend it.
2006 SR5 Auto Hilux towing Australian Off-road Quantum
europalife

Postby mrkylejones on Sun, 06 Apr 2014 9:35 +0000

Thanks for your input. Have read heaps on forums etc and have had the same feedback. Will definitely go with the steinbauer chip with boost control, part number 220361.
mrkylejones

Postby ira11y on Sun, 11 May 2014 5:37 +0000

A little more about the SB with the turbo control option.

I was at Rosehill camping show a couple of weeks ago and had a chat to the Stienbauer rep at their stand in the pavillion. I was asking him about what the extra turbo controller wire actually does on the upspec SB.

He was quite helpful explaining that it basically took the signal to the turbo and modified it via the SB chip to tell the ECU that the boost was not exceeding the normal tolerances the ECU would expect. When I responded back suggesting that basically what they were doing is passing the signal through a low band pass filter he went a bit cagey. I suspect from what he was explaining initially that I might have been right on the money.

It makes sense when you think about it, but not sure if its the best way to fix the problem. Has anyone with the upspec SB watched the boost climb higher than normal? I have seen it do it once on a run to Narooma but as soon as I saw it pulling past 18psi I backed off. Restarting the car post destination it never happened again. My SB does not have the turbo control option.
Cheers
Michael

Without quantifiable facts there are merely opinions, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one
ira11y

Postby Luxury12 on Sun, 11 May 2014 6:57 +0000

My chips does have the boost option an has never reached that boost only ever 13psi
Luxury12

Postby cambelt on Tue, 20 May 2014 7:42 +0000

The Stein boost control apparently plugs into the map sensor and clamps it voltage to around 2.2 volts but at $900 it one very expensive boost cut defender ( or $600 when purchased with chip) .
I emailed a few of the common FCD manufactures to ask whet the lowest voltage their units go and most were around 3 volts so won't work with a hilux application .
I wouldn't imagine it could be too hard to build or get made a voltage clamping circuit that has a lower range around 2 volts .
Dave
cambelt

Postby highoctane on Sat, 14 Jun 2014 6:14 +0000

ira11y wrote:I have just fitted mine up to my 07 and was not seeming to get some of the performance gains claimed by others, I have been talking to the guys at Steinbauer and Diesel Care, both have been very helpful so far. This morning I threw the old duck across the rollers and confirmed a complete lack of change when the trim pot is set at 100% until it reaches 3500rpm(the settings are 80% Min- and 130% Max+ on the dial as quoted by Steinbauer for future reference). The information I have is that at 100% setting on the trim pot and under load the module increases the PW of the injector to 150ms, when set at 130% the PW increases to 195ms.

This should mean that at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) the pulse width should increase across the whole fuel map, Dyno results this morning proved otherwise at 100%. However at 130% this was true and I had gains close to Steinbauer's claims.

Click on the image for full view

The vehicle is stock with 200K on the clock.
Legend:

Pink – Steinbauer disconnected from harness, stock run
Green – Trim pot set at 100% (vertical pointer)
Red – Trim pot set at 130% (full)

Going back to the information around the injector pulse width and how the module changes that, all runs were at WOT so no progressive acceleration and when you look at the 100% trim (Green) it’s clear it stays at the factory load table until 3400rpm before altering the pulse width.

Other than that, the increase at 130% is reasonably close to the Stienbauer claims of 19.1%. My engine at 95RwKW is not bad for a 200K old engine, an overall gain of 17.8% to 111.9RwKW. Although the amount of un-burnt fuel is horrific out the exhaust at that setting. I will leave it at 130% and monitor the fuel economy over the next two weeks.

How did your fuel economy end up after having the steiny on the highest setting?
highoctane

Postby ira11y on Tue, 05 Aug 2014 3:55 +0000

How did your fuel economy end up after having the steiny on the highest setting?

Its still set on Max, I average between 10.9 and 11.5 for most trips, always loaded with 600+Kg, mostly city driving these days with the odd run out to bathurst etc. I dont run hard on the pedal except when towing and going up the bigger hills like the dipper past Mittagong on a south coast trip. I burn up around 13-14L/100kms on those trips but I sit at 115ish all the way to Braidwood.

I posted up some figures a while back Here but havent updated since. I might pull the numbers off my fuel account just to see how the last year has been, might be interesting to see if I have lost a bit with the CAT slowly getting blocked up.
Cheers
Michael

Without quantifiable facts there are merely opinions, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one
ira11y

Postby ira11y on Tue, 05 Aug 2014 4:57 +0000

Ok I pulled the data just for sh@ts and giggles. Data is from Dec 2103 to the end of July 2014.

Looks like theres a couple of anomalies, this could be from incorrect data put in by the station attendant or my giving the incorrect KM details when I got distracted and forgot the correct kms :P, so we can pretty much ignore the red squares.

The green square is a run with loaded trailer to Buckenbowra with about 25km slow dirt road included. Not bad considering how steep the Clyde is on the way back.

So it looks like I average low 11's around the city and high 11-13 towing or highway trips, SB is set at max and has never been adjusted. My EGT temps have never breached 600C with the probe set about 3cm directly behind the turbo. Usually sits at 360C cruising at 80-100kmh and around 450-480 hard acceleration.
Cheers
Michael

ira11y

Postby highoctane on Wed, 06 Aug 2014 11:27 +0000

On the factory setting I was lucky to get 13l per 100k. Wound it back to 10 oclock and get 14l per 100k wound it to 2 oclock and it dropped to 11.5 per 100. Happy with that! Much smoke under hard acceleration?
highoctane

Postby ira11y on Wed, 06 Aug 2014 12:21 +0000

I dont see any out the rear or side mirrors at all but my pipe points low, if i give it a hard rev in the driveway then yes a small amount on the decel but thats to be expected, otherwise accel is totaly clean from what I can see.
Cheers
Michael

ira11y

Postby mrbump on Mon, 17 Feb 2020 9:24 +0000

europalife wrote:
ira11y wrote:Matt that's an interesting choice of dump pipe design, may I ask what you hope to achieve by restricting the flow straight after the turbo?

I believe the turbo outlet is 2 3/4" can anybody confirm that spec? should have measured yesterday while I had access DOH!

IMHO most turbos will perform better with the least amount of restriction at the dump pipe, although some claim issues with over boost on the D4D, I believe that's more to do with the ability to close the waste-gate fast enough than an exhaust issue.

On a traditional (read old school, and I'm talking mid 80's -90's) waste gate we used to increase the spring tension very slightly to over come the problem (we also used to feed gas in front of the turbo to keep the spool speed up but that's another story :P) . On the D4D its electronically controlled so not as easy to modify.

However a decent muffler in the system should be more than enough to overcome any potential problem. We are after all only talking about a max of about 4500rpm here not 9000rpm of gas flow. We could do the maths to get the amount of potential airflow but I CBF on a Sunday night.

I believe most of the limp mode issues we hear about are from vehicles running straight thru 3" systems where there is almost no restriction at all. I am not in favour of a complete straight thru exhaust, apart from the noise (signs I am getting old!) the difference in performance to having a muffler will be less than 1Kw. If you can feel that difference in your daily driving you are doing way better than me. And giving up 1Kw to avoid an over-spool and limp mode kicking in seems a fair trade off.

The only other solution would be to by pass the electronic control of the waste gate, you could use something similar to a sprint booster to speed up its movement, but its likely the stepper motor would fail a lot quicker with the extra load.

Irally you seem to have a bit of knowledge on this topic and welcome anyone else's feedback. I have a 2006 hilux auto and a year ago I had the steinbauer and taipan 3 inch exhaust installed. I had major issues on a road trip from Brisbane to Port Macquarie in NSW. It went into limp mode on every incline. It took forever to get there!!! After looking into several problems it' was finely narrowed down to the steinbauer unit. Steinbauer to their credit were very helpful and it was sent back to them for retuning and they said the issue was because of the 3 inch exhaust I was running so they made adjustments to the unit. I didn't think much of it at the time because while steinbauer were helpful I just thought they were offloading the problem. I rang taipan and of course they blamed steinbauer. I'm not overly mechanically minded so it's hard to work out who has the correct facts. Now it made a difference for 99% of the time however after just arriving home doing the same trip it went into limp mode twice. Generally around speeds of 80 to 100km/hr and going up a hill. As soon as I accelerated to hold speed it went into limp mode. Kind of scary when you have trucks up your tailgate. It's also a concern because I pick up our caravan this week and I'm worried under load it will happen more which puts my family at risk on the road. So the question is irally do I get a different exhaust or just disconnect the unit. I will be calling steinbauer tomorrow as previously they said if this didn't work they had another cable (I have no idea what it does) for $900 that can be connected that will 100% fix the problem. It's a gamble to spend another $900. Any feedback appreciated.

I've got a 2009 3.0 auto and i've had the same issues with the Steinbauer. One was going about 60mph and on hill and the second was caused by accelerating after I'd let of the throttle rolling up to traffic lights at about 50mph.

I'm running a standard exhaust with plans for a 3inch next week. Can't phone Steinbauer over here as waiting on a new phone :roll:
mrbump

Previous

Return to Fuel Systems