Steinbauer - The Facts and The Figures to Prove It!

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Steinbauer - The Facts and The Figures to Prove It!

Postby Hobosgold on Sat, 14 Dec 2013 3:58 +0000

twincamo wrote:What is everyone recommending for 3" exhaust. Seems to be HUMEX from what i read on here. I have googled but can't seem to find any places to get them from.

I'm not sure if the 3" exhaust gives you more power? I think it just gets the heat out quicker, maybe someone can clarify this, I don't think you need a 3" exhaust to get the 20% power they claim.
Hobosgold

Postby Kevtek on Sun, 15 Dec 2013 10:48 +0000

I have a Steinbauer fitted to a 2012 D4D 4 speed auto Hilux. I have fitted a switch inside the Hilux so I can turn the chip on and off. When I climb hills under load for a period of time, my transmission sticks in a lower gear and will not up shift after the hill has been completed. If I try to accelerate away after the hill, the engine will red line, so I basically have to go slow and wait until it finally up shifts again. This could take 30 seconds to a minute or more. I am not sure if this is caused by the chip or not. If I turn the chip off when the problem occurs, the transmission still plays up. So I now have the chip off permanently and so far the problem has not reoccurred. I was wondering if a higher than normal pressure has been sensed by the vehicle with the chip on during a hill climb and this has caused some kind of auto-transmission related limp mode to occur. Although no warning lights have come on. After I removed the chip, Toyota plugged a laptop into the car and we went for a drive. Toyota could not fault the transmission although we did not have any suitable hills available to really test it under load. Steinbauer thinks it's nothing to do with the chip. Another Toyota technician thinks it is caused by the chip and was very rude to me about the situation. Not impressed at all that I fitted one. Anyway, it's still a mystery but I have a video of the problem occurring to prove it's really happening. I have supplied that to Toyota but I never heard back.
Kevtek

Postby Rocket55 on Sun, 15 Dec 2013 1:17 +0000

If Toyota gave us more power we won't need to chip the thing, thats my standard answer to them. Could be a heat related thing and you might need a transmission cooler as the extra power makes the transmission work harder, especially up hills.
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby boxhead55 on Sun, 15 Dec 2013 1:31 +0000

Your intercooler temps would be through the roof. Has your scoop got a clear air
Flow. This will reduce power. If your transmission was overheating you would he the auto oil light on the dash.
boxhead55

Postby deanv1144 on Sun, 15 Dec 2013 3:55 +0000

kev what size tyres are you running? i carry a constant load and have a steinbauer chip and my hilux was going fine untill i put 33" tyres on it and than it started having the prob your talking about. I've since done a re-gear and it hasn't done it since.
deanv1144

Postby pisso01 on Sun, 15 Dec 2013 7:17 +0000

Are you using cruise control when it happens? My wife's car sometimes does something similar when going up long hills with cruise on.

Cheers,

Chris.
My touring Lux - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7795 - Nearly finished
pisso01

Postby Kevtek on Wed, 18 Dec 2013 3:17 +0000

Thanks for all the feed back. Greatly appreciated and very kind -

Rod - I agree with you. 126 kw of power is not enough. Especially when carrying a load over mountains. The chip certainly makes a big difference. I did think about the transmission over heating, but there is no warning lights on the dash. The scoop does have clean air flow.

Dean - I'm running Cooper S/T Maxx 265/70 tyres on the standard 17 inch rim.

Chris - I have cruise control off when it happens. Steep mountain climbs with plenty of bends is the normal cause of the issue. However last time when I had the chip off while climbing the Bells Line of Road out of Sydney - it never happened. Previously it always happened at that location with the chip on. When I switched the chip off after the problem occurred, it did not help. The problem had already been created and I had to wait until I could go again.

I'm also running a standard exhaust rather than a 3 inch upgrade. Maybe that's part of the issue ?
Kevtek

Postby Hobosgold on Sun, 22 Dec 2013 6:58 +0000

Well I've been running the chip for a week now and I love it, I've got power when I need it, she's got plenty of go and she goes :D I'm a carpenter and carry lots of gear in the back and I average 10.5 l/per 100ks before the chip,but now I'm getting at least 10.1 l/per 100ks so smiles all round. I'm going gold prospecting some time during the holidays, so I will be towing my camper into the bush, so I can't wait to see how she tows :lol:

Merry Xmas every body and drive safe
Hobosgold

Postby DeadlyBeast on Mon, 23 Dec 2013 2:16 +0000

No - they wont. BH has raised this numerous times.
Read this page http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20386&p=307086&hilit=pins#p307086
Best wait until your warranty runs out but your call
DeadlyBeast

Postby Rocket55 on Mon, 23 Dec 2013 4:27 +0000

As Boxhead says "you need to own your mods" or as many others say "you play, you pay".
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Rocket55

Postby boxhead55 on Mon, 23 Dec 2013 4:39 +0000

I like that paragraph.
You play ! You pay!!

I like it [THUMBS UP SIGN]
boxhead55

Postby jogal on Mon, 23 Dec 2013 4:55 +0000

Guys just posted this up in another thread but I recently started having this exact same situation but I'm not using any chips. Mine also is a 2012 D4DAuto, I wonder if there is a fault somewhere in the software in these transmissions when they overheat.
P.s not dash lights come on either.....
jogal

Postby Rocket55 on Mon, 23 Dec 2013 5:08 +0000

boxhead55 wrote:I like that paragraph.
You play ! You pay!!

I like it [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Pretty much sums it me thinks :D
Cheers Rod
Rocket55

Postby Hobosgold on Tue, 24 Dec 2013 8:56 +0000

Well yesterday was my first big run with the chip, just love it, but now I have the "fuel system warning light" come up on the dash, its a fixed light and not flashing or beeping, so what I did was change the fuel filter, to me it looked a bit dirty and there was lots of fine iron fillings that a magnet picked up easy, with the new filter in place I started the car and the light is still on :shock: is this common with the chip? is there a way maybe that I can reset the cars computa, or do I disconnect the chip and restart the car or disconnect the battery for a while? can ant body help who has had a similar problem. :?:
Hobosgold

Postby Stu.wrf450 on Tue, 24 Dec 2013 9:50 +0000

Hobosgold wrote:Well yesterday was my first big run with the chip, just love it, but now I have the "fuel system warning light" come up on the dash, its a fixed light and not flashing or beeping, so what I did was change the fuel filter, to me it looked a bit dirty and there was lots of fine iron fillings that a magnet picked up easy, with the new filter in place I started the car and the light is still on :shock: is this common with the chip? is there a way maybe that I can reset the cars computa, or do I disconnect the chip and restart the car or disconnect the battery for a while? can ant body help who has had a similar problem. :?:

I did a fuel filter on the way to newvember. I have no chip but you have to turn the light off.. And how too is:
Pop your bonnet and the plug coming of the fuel filter disconnect that(just a plug) start your truck connect the plug. And it should have dispappeared hope this helps.
Cheers, Stuart

Check out my build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18521&p=284916#p276157
Stu.wrf450

Postby Hobosgold on Tue, 24 Dec 2013 10:42 +0000

Stu.wrf450 wrote:
Hobosgold wrote:Well yesterday was my first big run with the chip, just love it, but now I have the "fuel system warning light" come up on the dash, its a fixed light and not flashing or beeping, so what I did was change the fuel filter, to me it looked a bit dirty and there was lots of fine iron fillings that a magnet picked up easy, with the new filter in place I started the car and the light is still on :shock: is this common with the chip? is there a way maybe that I can reset the cars computa, or do I disconnect the chip and restart the car or disconnect the battery for a while? can ant body help who has had a similar problem. :?:

I did a fuel filter on the way to newvember. I have no chip but you have to turn the light off.. And how too is:
Pop your bonnet and the plug coming of the fuel filter disconnect that(just a plug) start your truck connect the plug. And it should have dispappeared hope this helps.

Thanks Bud that worked a treat. So have a good Xmas and thanks for your help
Hobosgold

Postby Hobosgold on Mon, 06 Jan 2014 6:25 +0000

Well I've been running The HiLux for a few weeks now and I love it, But the lux is going in the shop tomorrow, it seems the crappy clutches that Toyota put in our trucks can't handle the extra power :lol: :lol: anyway the Hilux has done about 108,000 Ks and the clutch has slipped a few times before the Chip. oh well $1288 I will have a heavy duty Exedy clutch. :D
Hobosgold

Postby Bigs1976 on Wed, 08 Jan 2014 1:48 +0000

I've been told with no uncertainty by Diesel Care that the SB will not activate while the cruise control is on, any thoughts?
Bigs1976

Postby Dyno7 on Fri, 07 Mar 2014 4:29 +0000

Hay I'm new to this stuff and was wondering if anyone know if a vmn chip can go on a 2012 hilux
Dyno7

Postby packeteer on Fri, 07 Mar 2014 9:32 +0000

for those guys with original exhausts, the main restriction is the muffler. a quick and easy solution is to unbolt and replace with a straight pipe (ebay or your local zaust shop).
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems