Steinbauer - The Facts and The Figures to Prove It!

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Steinbauer - The Facts and The Figures to Prove It!

Postby hunterschamps on Thu, 14 Nov 2013 4:18 +0000

Im glad that i ain't alone on this if thats the case. Definitely considering going that way.. Just wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue and may have put a stein on thier vehicle.
hunterschamps

Postby hunterschamps on Thu, 14 Nov 2013 4:21 +0000

Diezel45 wrote:
Thanks mate! Bit cheaper then what I thought. Will have to look into it. Are these really worth the extra money compared to any other brand on the market? Ie. chip it or similar?

Is it worth spending the extra $500 for an extra 2kw?

I cant speak from experience but from what I've read, chipit, dpchip all modify fuel rail pressure which is a big no no on the lux's, thats where injector problems start.
hunterschamps

Postby Rocket55 on Thu, 14 Nov 2013 5:02 +0000

2 words for you guys "Sprint Booster". Look it up (on here). Big gains and cheap. If you still want more then whack a Steinbauer in there as well and you won't look back :D
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby hunterschamps on Thu, 14 Nov 2013 8:59 +0000

Rocket55 wrote:2 words for you guys "Sprint Booster". Look it up (on here). Big gains and cheap. If you still want more then whack a Steinbauer in there as well and you won't look back :D

Was just reading the reviews, if its all it cracks up to be it could be a smart investment. Thanks!
hunterschamps

Postby ira11y on Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:01 +0000

hunterschamps wrote:Hi guys I'm new to the forum. I have a 2013 hilux and I'm interested to see if anyone has installed the Steinbauer module and runs large tyres? Eg 265/75/16 as i have put these on my ute and I'm lucky to get 110kph.. Im mainly looking to see if the module itself helps with this problem. Fuel economy I'm not too concerned about just yet, mainly the lack of power with these large tires.

I changed the tyre and rim on my 07 SR from the cheese cutter 16" to 265/65/17's to match the factory SR5, I lost a little acceleration with a slightly larger rolling diameter but it does not seem to have lost as much as you are talking about. I could easily get to 160Kmh (on private roads under controlled conditions) without too much laboring. Have you checked that something is not binding after the change over? maybe a rear drum has locked a little? Can you change back to the old rims and see if you go back to normal just to prove the new tires are the problem? Did you work out the change of rolling diameter between old and new?

this is a useful tool to do so http://www.exploroz.com/Vehicle/Tyres/SizeCalc.aspx

Work out how much difference there is and you can then calculate it back to see exactly how much speed you have lost, also don't forget that a larger rolling diameter will affect your speedo showing a slower speed as well and you need to take that in to consideration, I use my GPS as a reference point for set speeds.

One of the reasons I went to a chip was to get back the small performance loss with the tires, the SB more than made up for the loss. My exhaust should arrive today so once I get that fitted I will run across the Dyno again and put the new numbers up here as well.

Rocket55 wrote:2 words for you guys "Sprint Booster". Look it up (on here). Big gains and cheap. If you still want more then whack a Steinbauer in there as well and you won't look back :D

If he has some other problem then a sprint booster will only mask it further, I would resort back to stock to find where the real problem is before going down the modify path.

Also before you commit to a sprint booster this is worth a read http://outbackjoe.com/macho-divertissement/macho-articles/sprint-booster-is-it-worth-it/

EDIT:And recently found this is pretty much the definitive information on the how, why and what of the sprint booster http://www.crosslake.net/~dbipes/sprintbooster/SprintBooster.pdf
Last edited by ira11y on Sun, 17 Nov 2013 10:36 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Michael

Without quantifiable facts there are merely opinions, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one
ira11y

Postby Rocket55 on Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:21 +0000

ira11y wrote:If he has some other problem then a sprint booster will only mask it further, I would resort back to stock to find where the real problem is before going down the modify path.

Also before you commit to a sprint booster this is worth a read http://outbackjoe.com/macho-divertissement/macho-articles/sprint-booster-is-it-worth-it/

Great advice there, if you are having issues, then removing all the performance parts to diagnose is always a good start.

As for the sprint booster link. Alot of people think this, but there's also 26 odd pages of people on here that say its worth every cent and a lot of what's in that article is not true, just ask those with one. Anybody considering a Sprint Booster would be well advised to read the thread on here and make there own mind up.
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Rocket55

Postby ira11y on Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:40 +0000

That's a fair call Rocket, there are a lot of posts from people who like them. I have researched a fair bit about the sprint booster but the one thing I haven't found is a clear dyno sheet that shows the difference with it installed against the same car and setup without. If you know of one I would love to see it to look at the torque curves, if the evidence is there it might just sway me to buy one 8-) . The only dyno sheets I have seen are where people have added multiple changes along with the sprint booster so its hard to tell what is exactly creating the gain.

My favorite quote: Without quantifiable facts there are merely opinions. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one :)
Cheers
Michael

Without quantifiable facts there are merely opinions, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one
ira11y

Postby Rocket55 on Thu, 14 Nov 2013 1:26 +0000

The only dyno sheet I need is bolted to the front of the car, and whilst under full throttle, you can switch between the various Sprint Booster settings and watch the bull bar lift and drop with each press :D
Cheers Rod
Rocket55

Postby hunterschamps on Thu, 14 Nov 2013 1:56 +0000

Cheese cutters were fine. Maybe the engine was just a bit tight from being a new vehicle. Its only done 100ks lol.. Ill give it a bit more time before i jump up and down.
hunterschamps

Postby mbour on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 2:59 +0000

Just put my chip in for a 2007 king cab Lux + a 2&3/4 exhaust. No dyno results needed for me to see the results. Was using half a tank (40l) for a 3 hr drive, now i'm using 33l. Not to mention the extra top end i get when whipping around trucks. worth the dosh if you've got it.
mbour

Postby rayy on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 4:35 +0000

Hi guys I've had had my steinbauer for over 6 months on a recent trip away I had the engine light come on and the ute into limp mode,
Went to Toyota and they come up with code p1271 and blamed the chip.

I've now been in contact with westend diesel who said they have had very few cars with this problem, apparently changing your exhaust can cause this problem. But I've had a 3in system from day one. They will try and remap my chip or replace with the newer model under warranty.

Car goes in next week so hopefully it get sorted without to much drama.
rayy

Postby Hobosgold on Mon, 09 Dec 2013 6:35 +0000

Well I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a Steinbauer chip $1415 and I should get it before the weekend. I have been doing research for more than a year now and looked at all the brands and this looks like the best chip, any way I'm hopping to install it myself, how easy are they too install any thing I should know before I install it? my car it a 2010 manual with factory cruise. They are claiming 20% more power which what I need and want. I will let you guy's know how the install went.
Hobosgold

Postby twincamo on Fri, 13 Dec 2013 4:57 +0000

Hello forum world.

Is there anyone on here running a steinbauer with the standard exhaust?
If so, any issues?

Also, i have read (for the most part) all of this thread and cannot find a definitive answer - If i get the $1415 module and then in a few months upgrade to a 3" exhaust, will the chip still work?
twincamo

Postby nickoslux on Fri, 13 Dec 2013 7:54 +0000

You can run a steinbauer with std exhaust as long as you don't dial it up to 130percent I think they set em at 120 for std exhaust. The way they work is when you push it hard they increase the time the injector stays open ; more fuel equals more heat so will get the heat out quicker with a bigger exhaust but apparently quite safe at the lower setting
nickoslux

Postby twincamo on Sat, 14 Dec 2013 3:05 +0000

nickoslux wrote:You can run a steinbauer with std exhaust as long as you don't dial it up to 130percent I think they set em at 120 for std exhaust. The way they work is when you push it hard they increase the time the injector stays open ; more fuel equals more heat so will get the heat out quicker with a bigger exhaust but apparently quite safe at the lower setting

Cheers mate - any ideas if its the same unit - so if i upgrade my exhaust in a few months all will be good?
twincamo

Postby Rocket55 on Sat, 14 Dec 2013 3:41 +0000

Same unit, just take the back off it and turn the adjustment knob up a bit further, less than 2 minutes required.
Cheers Rod
Rocket55

Postby twincamo on Sat, 14 Dec 2013 4:54 +0000

....and once again! BEST FORUM EVER

THANKS HEAPS GUYS
twincamo

Postby nickoslux on Sat, 14 Dec 2013 7:51 +0000

Spend an extra $300 and buy a sprint booster as we'll, best combo ever. Absolutely transforms the vehicle
nickoslux

Postby Hobosgold on Sat, 14 Dec 2013 9:36 +0000

Now that was easy :D Just installed my chip, time it took me is 3/4 hour, power fun yeah :lol: The one I bought is from ebay $1415 with free delivery and comes with a free hand held 5 watt uhf radio, even though I have not seen the radio yet :shock: email the seller to see where it is, its a pro seller so it should come. now the power to the Hilux :?: just fantastic, can't wait to give it a good run next weekend with the camper in tow, the chip I got I haven't seen any adjustment pod, I think I would have to unscrew the cover to get to it, but I don't think I will, I am very happy with the chip and I thank the forum for run a good post, in particular, the photos stage by stage pics, Thanks. I must get a new sticker on my truck that says "You are being past by a Hilux" :lol:

Ps I am running mine with the standard exhaust and did tell them that my car was manual with factory cruise.
Hobosgold

Postby twincamo on Sat, 14 Dec 2013 3:33 +0000

What is everyone recommending for 3" exhaust. Seems to be HUMEX from what i read on here. I have googled but can't seem to find any places to get them from.
twincamo

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems