Steinbauer - The Facts and The Figures to Prove It!

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Steinbauer - The Facts and The Figures to Prove It!

Postby MickTheo on Sat, 08 Mar 2014 7:35 +0000

Hi guys,

Do you know if I can take the steinbauer off a 2010 prado and plug it straight in to a2010 hilux?

Where can i take it in brisbane to have it adjusted?
MickTheo

Postby Kevtek on Wed, 02 Apr 2014 11:35 +0000

I purchased a CUB camper trailer form Bathurst a few weeks ago. Crossing the Blue Mountains from Sydney to collect it, with an unloaded Hilux and the Steinbauer chip turned on, was not a problem. However returning across the mountains while towing the camper trailer with the Steinbauer remaining on, caused my transmission to once again kick back and fail to up shift. The same old problem had returned in my 2012 SR5 4 speed Auto. So bad was the issue, that I had to pull over four times to let the traffic pass, as I was stuck in second gear on the Hwy, even after the hill had well passed. So I stopped again, waited for everything to cool down and turned the Stienbauer chip off. I then drove home across the Blue Mountains containing much larger and longer hills, without a problem while towing the camper trailer. So now I know. The chip has been causing the auto transmission to play up all along, as expected. It's a shame that the chip will not work for me when I need it most. Meaning uphill and under load. Of course you would not notice the same problem on a manual Hilux nor a problem on more level roads, even when towing. Yet it's a different story on the hills when under load. So I guess this is a warning for any other Hilux owners out there, that may choose the same combination of driving conditions, chip and automatic vehicle as me. Thanks for listening.
Kevtek

Postby Rocket55 on Wed, 02 Apr 2014 1:14 +0000

Sounds like you need a auto transmission cooler, pretty standard upgrade when you run more power/load through the autos. People also get this issue sometimes through the figment of larger tyres.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=289&p=1703&hilit=Cooler#p1703
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby Kevtek on Thu, 03 Apr 2014 6:11 +0000

Thanks for your advice and the link Rod. I guess the Steinbauer chip would be delivering more power hence the extra transmission heat on the hills under load. I will take your advice and fit the cooler in combination with the chip, however I am surprised that the transmission would play up so drastically, yet no warning light ever comes on. That seems rather strange.
Kevtek

Postby obiee on Sat, 12 Apr 2014 6:56 +0000

hi all
now im after a new chip since i got ripped on the chipit
i can buy a second hand steinbauer off a local bloke who sold his
hilux (not sure what year model but says chip will fit 2006 to 2010)
on the chip itself says P-BOX is this an older style steinbauer?
all wires, plugs etc look fine.
just wanting some info on what im buying he says it worked fine no
problems etc and removed from ute when he sold it and got a new ranger
and brought and fitted steinbauer straight away.
he has no fittng instructions for hilux one would i be able to get fitting instructions
and fit it with any problems.
any help would be appreciated
obiee

Postby GeeBung on Sat, 12 Apr 2014 7:38 +0000

Mate i have one of these (was on truck when i brought it) and i was told they were the first of the stienbauers and searching google pretty much comes up with the same.
Anyway they work fine, i have never had a drama with mine, never had a limp mode. They fit in between the injectors, ie piggy back in, so you need to take the intercooler off.
The chip controls the injectors pulse width etc, not the cheapo rail pressure crap.
Apart from that they have an adjustable setting from o% to 30% gain i have never set it past 20% cause that works well enough for me.

Anyway I have mine out cause i'm gonna sell it so if you want some pics of pointing to where stuff plugs in etc just let me know and ill put some up. But they are dead simple to fit.
GeeBung

Postby obiee on Sat, 12 Apr 2014 7:51 +0000

thanks geebung pics would be great
how come your selling yours and how much $$ (pm me if you like)
does the old one still give you the same performance as the new style
im not after great big gains just a little help when going on trips towing my boat.
with the chipit i had i only ever ran it on setting 5 and had dual map switch so i
could turn it on or off which i was told you can do with the stienbauers as well.
obiee

Postby obiee on Sat, 12 Apr 2014 10:03 +0000

i have a 2007 sr d4d and the chip came out of a 2006 sr5
should it be compatable with my ute?
obiee

Postby GeeBung on Sat, 12 Apr 2014 11:34 +0000

I never had this one hooked up on a switch, but you can unplug it without taking the whole loom out. I don't know if you could hook it up to switch but I don't there would really be any need too.
I can't comment of the difference between old and new cause i have only had the one chip. But they do work as they say as i had mine on the dyno.

So the black and red are to the battery. The plugs as you can see i have numbered one to four with four being closet to firewall obviously.
The grey plug clips onto the injector and the black plug into the oem loom.

If you want to disconnect the plug just undo it here, no need to take out the chip loom

This is the inside. Just set the micro switches to the gain you want. 20% is heaps.
GeeBung

Postby GeeBung on Sat, 12 Apr 2014 11:35 +0000

obiee wrote:i have a 2007 sr d4d and the chip came out of a 2006 sr5
should it be compatable with my ute?

Mines a 2005 but i dont see why it wouldn't work.
GeeBung

Postby Warnsie on Sun, 13 Apr 2014 4:25 +0000

Kevtek wrote:Thanks for your advice and the link Rod. I guess the Steinbauer chip would be delivering more power hence the extra transmission heat on the hills under load. I will take your advice and fit the cooler in combination with the chip, however I am surprised that the transmission would play up so drastically, yet no warning light ever comes on. That seems rather strange.

Kev

Please keep us up to date as to whether the transmission cooler helps the problem. I have a 2014 model with the five speed auto, so there is a ? On whether I should proceed with a chip if it's going to confuse the auto. I live on top of a mountain which is a 30min climb so I don't want issues. I might just go for the sprint booster for now.
Warnsie

Postby jogal on Sun, 13 Apr 2014 7:01 +0000

I had a P box for years ! Started on an 05 and kept it through to the 09 then sold it with the car. During that time it never gave me any problems. Only once it got sent away for some sort of software upgrade and I was given a new Steinbauer while mine was away. Definitely there was a difference the Steinbauer seemed more smoother and powerful from get go. Not saying the p box was shit still a great improvement over standard.
jogal

Postby Kevtek on Sun, 20 Apr 2014 2:31 +0000

Hi Warnsie. Just fitted the transmission cooler and switched the Stienbauer back on. I will let you know how it goes when I next haul a camper trailer.

Although the Stienbauer adds extra power which probably helps to heat up the transmission faster, I am no longer convinced the issue is related only to the chip. I do note that others have the same issue when towing and no mention of a chip fitted. So I am not alone with these Hilux transmission problems. See link - http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/t ... -problems/

I also had the same transmission problem return last week, when towing my camper trailer with the chip turned off. Anyway, I am hoping the transmission cooler will fix the problem, otherwise I will be selling up and buying a manual Hilux, better suited for towing. I can't be bothered fooling around with problems like this on a new $54,000.00 Hilux any longer. It's very disappointing. :cry:
Kevtek

Postby aandy on Sun, 20 Apr 2014 5:17 +0000

Kevtek wrote:Hi Warnsie. Just fitted the transmission cooler and switched the Stienbauer back on. I will let you know how it goes when I next haul a camper trailer.

Although the Stienbauer adds extra power which probably helps to heat up the transmission faster, I am no longer convinced the issue is related only to the chip. I do note that others have the same issue when towing and no mention of a chip fitted. So I am not alone with these Hilux transmission problems. See link - http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/t ... -problems/

I also had the same transmission problem return last week, when towing my camper trailer with the chip turned off. Anyway, I am hoping the transmission cooler will fix the problem, otherwise I will be selling up and buying a manual Hilux, better suited for towing. I can't be bothered fooling around with problems like this on a new $54,000.00 Hilux any longer. It's very disappointing. :cry:

I think your new cooler will fix the problem.

I had the same issue with my 2011 SR5 auto,no chip. When in the NT 130kmh zones or in soft sand loaded with camping gear, after a while it would kick back to third and refuse to go back into fourth until you gave it time to cool down.
I fitted a Davies Craig V8 transmission cooler, and no problems since, have had a week on fraser and have also a couple of spirited hwy drives with my boat in tow and its perfect.

I have also got the transmission fluid outlet temp showing on my scan gauge, even with the cooler fitted I have had it over 100 degrees and the auto still behaves perfect at that temp. I never had the scan gauge before the cooler for comparison.
aandy

Postby Grunt on Sat, 26 Apr 2014 5:40 +0000

Just fitted a steinbauer chip didn't notice a lot of difference,also engine check light come on straight away.Done job as per instructions & was wondering if anyone else has had same problem,I'm thinking it might be giving a code because I have had plugs at pedal & injectors disconnected.Any help????
Grunt

Postby Grunt on Sat, 26 Apr 2014 5:42 +0000

Grunt wrote:Just fitted a steinbauer chip didn't notice a lot of difference,also engine check light come on straight away.Done job as per instructions & was wondering if anyone else has had same problem,I'm thinking it might be giving a code because I have had plugs at pedal & injectors disconnected.Any help????
Grunt

Postby packeteer on Sat, 26 Apr 2014 8:56 +0000

Grunt, maybe try disconnecting the battery for an hour. it will reset the computer which should clear the code
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby singlespeed on Sat, 26 Apr 2014 4:12 +0000

aandy wrote:
Kevtek wrote:H

I have also got the transmission fluid outlet temp showing on my scan gauge, even with the cooler fitted I have had it over 100 degrees and the auto still behaves perfect at that temp. I never had the scan gauge before the cooler for comparison.

Is there a native gauge in the SG for transmission temperature? Or is this one of the XGauge functions?
2014 Hilux SR5 D4D 5A Grey w/ Blk Leather

Disclaimer:
My opinion is the opposite of your opinion, even if you change your opinion to my opinion.
singlespeed

Postby packeteer on Sat, 26 Apr 2014 5:17 +0000

iirc it is an XGauge function
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby doyta on Mon, 12 May 2014 12:00 +0000

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-Hilux ... 258d967bc1

Any reports on these exhaust systems?
Put it in gear and go farking go.
doyta

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems