Fuel restart crossroads.

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Fuel restart crossroads.

Postby Gezzmack on Wed, 20 Jan 2021 5:55 +0000

I ran out of fuel. put 5 litres in from my garage walk. didn't start. I told Toyota service who in theory ( I was at work) , went across the road and tried to start it but failed. Half a day later rang me and said they couldn't start it and I have to pay to get it towed across the road. I did that. Next day, they tell me it needs new Common Rail Assembly. I was befuddled why, as I know its not good to have air in the line, I said I thought it was just a case of bleeding the lines ?? The guy told me " they couldn't bleed it so they hooked it up to the diagnostic machine and it gave a readout that said replace common rail assembly".
I have googled a bit and two things..1) FILL the tank ( only put in 5 litres, don't know what they did) .
2) Make sure the tank fuel level is higher than the filter. ( I don't think 5 Litres would cut it).
The assembly I am told is 1750 dollars and it is a five (5) hour job.
Q. Do I take it elsewhere ? Or trust the info ( it has to be towed if its moved) .
2015 Hilux SR5

help ?
Gezzmack

Re: Fuel restart crossroads.

Postby NZMarkb on Thu, 21 Jan 2021 2:33 +0000

Put 40L in the tank and try again
Might pay to change out the fuel filter also
If your not prepared to stand behind our Troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 21 Jan 2021 5:07 +0000

Doesn't matter how much fuel is in the tank the filter is higher than the top of the tank. 5litre would be enough to prime the system but it is more likely to be the supply pump and the dealer is just keeping it simple for you. The supply pump is part of the common rail on the engine and it 'sucks' fuel through the filter from the tank. You may actually find that rather than running out of fuel the supply pump crapped itself from running dry. Fuel is the ONLY lubricant and if you run dry for too long it wears the close-tolerances in the pump. I assume no other fault lights came up? If the filter light came on it may be blocked sufficient to make the supply pump run dry.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby hiluxxury on Thu, 21 Jan 2021 5:17 +0000

More fuel and then manually prime it. There is no filter in the tank, only the pickup mechanism. More fuel will ensure it works and no further air gets in the lines. Might take some pumping to prime it.

I'd say the error came up because no fuel or air was in the common rail.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Gezzmack on Thu, 21 Jan 2021 8:06 +0000

Thanks to all who replied. I am giving another mechanic a shot , will fill it with fuel first and fingers crossed. Its been every service to Toyota dealer and only 130k never a problem. I can only hope it lives up to the "unbreakable" bit !
thanks for all replies, I will post the result today if I get one . :D
Gezzmack

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 21 Jan 2021 11:06 +0000

hiluxxury wrote:More fuel and then manually prime it. There is no filter in the tank, only the pickup mechanism. More fuel will ensure it works and no further air gets in the lines. Might take some pumping to prime it.

I'd say the error came up because no fuel or air was in the common rail.

Yes hiluxxury I would agree, and if someone just turned the engine over hoping to prime it, then a dry supply pump would be the result. First a bit more fuel in the tank then manually prime, using the pump on the filter, first taking the outlet hose off the filter until fuel comes out, then reconnect and prime again until the manual primer on the filter goes hard. Nothing will prime the system if it's full of air!
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby hiluxxury on Fri, 22 Jan 2021 6:17 +0000

You'd think a dealer would know that though.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 22 Jan 2021 6:46 +0000

:lol: :lol: :lol: yes mate you would think so, but when you send the apprentice out to fix a 'simple' problem like priming the fuel system, that's what you get... Turn the key and keep the starter churning to prime it but a dry supply pump won't last long!
Gipsy

Return to Fuel Systems