Black coloured diesel

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Black coloured diesel

Postby tadzy on Wed, 05 Aug 2020 9:02 +0000

Gday,

So some background info...
2006 sr hilux 4x4 dualcab 250,000K
-NEW bailey diesel std flow injectors
- all new fitting hardware, injector lines, return rail, SCV.
- EGR/MANIFOLD CLEANED
-FACTORY TUNED/ exhaust and fuel tank.
###fuel treated for bio multiple times, 2 different brands of treatment.

So cut to the chase.... changed fuel filter- it was black, fuel from tank is black when priming filter.
BLACK Particulates out the exhaust, hard to tell if unburnt fuel or a byproduct of contaminated fuel?
When COLD START followed by light load 1st gear sounds like its running on 3 cylinders with a heap of tappet noise thrown ontop. Noise goes away after 2 minutes. Doesnt use oil or water. Use approx 3-4 tanks of diesel per week.
No check engine light.
Techstream shows perfect rail pressure, INJECTOR values.
Stepper motor on turbo nnt working as it used to.
Any ideas be greatly appreciated!!
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
tadzy

Re: Black coloured diesel

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 06 Aug 2020 6:24 +0000

it sounds like you have a problem called 'cladosporium resinae' which is a contamination caused by a bug in fuel. I would suggest first empty and flush the fuel tank, refuel with clean diesel, don't fill the tank, just a few litres. You will need to flush the whole system and then fit a new fuel filter, add some fuel doctor or something similar, use the 'shock treatment's and then use this regularly to keep the tank clean. Then look at your fuel supplier, they do occasionally have contamination in their tanks. Boats and marine engines are particularly vulnerable to resinae'. No this is not a joke, it has been known to cause aircraft to crash!
Last edited by Gipsy on Fri, 07 Aug 2020 9:16 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Re: Black coloured diesel

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 06 Aug 2020 2:23 +0000

On re-reading your post I noticed the following:
"fuel treated for bio multiple times, 2 different brands of treatment."
What treatment and why did you do this? If the contamination is really bad the treatment kills off a lot of spores (the little guys) and the residue has to go somewhere and it ends up in the filter! The dead bodies appear as black residue as you have reported. So there may still be considerably more bugs left in your fuel tank and thus you need to flush the whole system and fit a new filter.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Return to Fuel Systems