Fuel flowing back from fuel filter when parked up a hill

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Fuel flowing back from fuel filter when parked up a hill

Postby SerbLux on Sat, 07 Feb 2009 7:46 +0000

Hi all....I am new to the site. I have a 12/2005 dual cab SR 3.0D4D manual and has travelled 59k. I have developed a problem in the last couple of weeks with the fuel flowing back to the fuel tank when I park the Hilux up a hill nose up. It only takes about an hour to occur. Basically when start the car it starts and runs for about 5-10 seconds and then stalls. It then takes about 10 seconds or so to start. When I park the Hilux in reverse up the hill no problems at all.

I have changed the spring type hose clamps that hold clamp the fuel hoses on fuel filter housing as the hoses were loose and its still happening. I have called around and Toyota cannot give me an answer. Diesel work shot wanted me to by pass the filter and drive it around the block and park it up a hill for an hour or so to see if its the fuel filter housing. There is no way I am going to run fuel straight from the tank to the motor with no fuel filter. That Diesel work shot thinks if its not the filter than its the bore valve in the fuel pump??

Help Help Help....has any one else had this problem before??
'Take one for the Team' and do your Part
SerbLux

Re: Fuel flowing back from fuel filter when parked up a hill

Postby Shrek on Sun, 08 Feb 2009 4:02 +0000

You've only done 59,000 km? Warranty?

Otherwise, I'd start by replacing any hose and clamps that I could. If that fails then I'd give it to the shop to look at the fuel pump
pǝɹoq ʎɐʍ ǝq ʇsnɯ noʎ 'sıɥʇ ƃuıpɐǝɹ ǝɹ,noʎ ɟı
Shrek

Postby Skog07 on Sun, 08 Feb 2009 6:20 +0000

Could just be the canister itself, think there about $90 if I remember correctly????
Might have a crook seal in the priming pump as this is the highest point and is the only external moving part in the fuel system. It would also have a check valve to prevent fuel backflow whilst priming the system. Might have something jammed in it causing the check valve not to seat properly allowing fuel to drain back from to the tank. Enough to prime the system and run normally but over a duration of time enough to cause an issue for you.
Only grabbing at straws mate, but like Shrek said 59k is a warranty issue?
Suggest a change of cannister to the dealer?
Hope you get it sorted mate.
Cheers
Mark
Skog07

Postby Quinny34 on Sun, 08 Feb 2009 6:23 +0000

May be a crack hose... hot enough for it lately... Otherwise no idea... drive up a dusty road and look for leeks on the pipe work...
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SerbLux on Sun, 08 Feb 2009 8:05 +0000

Hi guys thanks for all your suggestions. Unfortunately the truck ran out of warranty 5 months ago and this only started 2 weeks ago. I have just come back from beach run at the Murry mouth along with some dusty roads...will check in the morning. I should be able to see any cracked hoses with the amount of dust and sand i gathered today.

Now that I think of it i did notice the canister was covered in diesel and dust from last shooting trip but did not think to much of it when i washed the engine and engine bay down.

When i change the canister ......I pump the air out as if i was pumping the water right???? Or is there some thing else i should be doing? If i were to purchase another canister would i also get the lid on top with the pump?

Thanks heaps gentlemen
SerbLux

Postby Quinny34 on Mon, 09 Feb 2009 6:24 +0000

I believe you you pump it to prime it first time round....

OR if you undo the screw at the bottom to let water out you need to prime it again.... Check your sun visor or manual. Its all in there.
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SerbLux on Mon, 06 Apr 2009 1:43 +0000

Just thought i would let you know that i have fix this problem. The seal on top of the fuel filter housing where you pump it was sucking air when parked up or down a hill. Changed whole canister and filter as some of the teeth were broken onthe canister due to poor previous owners mechanic.......cost $102. toyota dealer wanted the car for a 4hr block @ $110P/H
SerbLux

Return to Fuel Systems