Diesel Gas, it's fitted!

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Diesel Gas, it's fitted!

Postby bilko on Tue, 03 Feb 2009 9:39 +0000

Some time this week, if i get my truck back on the road, I'll be going to see the guys at desiel gas technoligies in penrith to arrange my gas installation. I want to make this into a bit of a write up for those out there that are interestedin doing either the desiel gas mod or exhaust mod.

I will be getting the tank fitted hopefully on a friday and driving home without most of my exhaust system, due to the tank being fitted to where the exhaust currently runs. I will then with the assistance of a mate, be making up my own 3" exhaust from the turbo back. We will be using pre fabricated madrel bends and customising the bends to our own needs. There will be a flexi bend from the dump to the start of the striaght run. I'm leaving the cat out as it is pre '07 (just :lol: ) so it isn't manditory to have a cat as long as you still meet emission standards. Also, I'm not going to have any mufflers fitted unless it's beyond the joke, in which case i have a straight through 3" sitting here that i can use. MAYBE :twisted:

Now, what i am hoping is that my mate who has access to a dyno can get me in on it for mates rates and do a couple of runs. The first run as is without mods. The next with exhaust mode only. Then again after the gas system fitted. I am also hoping that i maybe able to find someone with a stienbaur chip that would be willing to partake in another test. I would like to fit the stienbaur and do runs with the chip alone and then with the gas. I personally have no interst in running the chip on gas toghter, but for comparative reasons it would be a perfect oportunity for others to see how the exhaust, gas alone, chip alone and then chip and gas toghter mods perform.

The testing part is all subject to getting dyno time and cost and of course someone else that is willing to unplug their chip and fit to my truck only for dyno runs. I'm thinking that if it all works out i could get someone to take some good step by step shots and then write up an article worthy of a 4wd mag. Hell we could even send it into them :lol:

At the moment this will (should) all kick of in about 2-3 weeks time. If anyone is keen to help out with a chip, please let me know. I'll put running updates on this thread as i go. I can't wait :D
Last edited by bilko on Wed, 15 Apr 2009 8:37 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
bilko

Re: Desiel Gas, I'm getting it very soon!

Postby Quinny34 on Tue, 03 Feb 2009 4:11 +0000

Im just about to get a new rig my self and this is high on the priorities for me also... will be following the thread with great intrest.

Im also not looking to run both Chip and Gas at this stage.

Coupla Questions?

Tank Size?

Pics of location of tank?

Cost?

The quality of the Penrith mob your dealing with?

Anything funny/wierd you've run into?
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lindlakebusa on Tue, 03 Feb 2009 4:51 +0000

i have d/gas aus on my hilux the engine blew up at xmas number three piston has a hole and crack in it it looks like the gas cause my pistons to get to hot so you should get a turbo temp gauge i was running about 20% gas i am trying to get d/gas to fix the engine no good yet and my hilux is a 05
lindlakebusa

Postby Quinny34 on Tue, 03 Feb 2009 5:26 +0000

How many klms had it before going boom?

Also, was it the sequential 1 or 2 kit?
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lindlakebusa on Tue, 03 Feb 2009 8:09 +0000

110000 km sequentail 2
lindlakebusa

Postby bilko on Fri, 13 Feb 2009 2:15 +0000

ok stage one of the modifications has began.

Today i had the gas tank temp fitted to allow me to custom build my exhaust around the tank. I also picked up the pieces that i need for the exhaust. In total the exhaust parts cost me $234, which included. 4meters of 3" pipe, 1x 8" flex joint, 6x flanges, 3x gaskets and 3x 180 degree mandrel bends. I had a look at the turbo dump while up on the hoist and noticed that the flange there is a 3 hole flange, so I'll have to swap one of mine over to suit. I have purchase a little too much, but to be onthe safe side i accommodated for more. Unfortunately I got stuff on this weekend so i wont be able to make a start on the exhaust. I have sourced dyno time to start comparrisons.

I'll keep posting notes as i go, then write a start to end artticle with costs, materials, dyno data, fuel data and problems if any. I also had a talk to a mate who said he might be able to pass the article on to a 4wd action writter friend of his to see if they can use it for the mag. See if we can get NewHilux.net some national advertising :lol:
bilko

Postby Quinny34 on Sat, 14 Feb 2009 7:53 +0000

Well done Bilko.... best of luck mate...
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brookster on Sat, 14 Feb 2009 6:25 +0000

Sounds like a great project! I will follow it with great interest. I saw a diesel gas conversion system on the New Inventors last week which claimed to be much improved system which micro-adjusts the gas injection keeping combustion temperatures well within engine parameters. From what I gather there is quite a range of systems; some better than others (like chips). Good luck Bilko.
IF A MAN TALKS IN THE FOREST AND THERE IS NO WOMAN TO HEAR HIM, IS HE STILL WRONG?
Brookster

Postby lindlakebusa on Mon, 16 Feb 2009 8:57 +0000

make shore you put on a turbo temp gauge that is what cause my engine to blow there is a hole and crack across number 3 piston from the piston getting to hot i am trying to get my engine fixed by d/gas aus
lindlakebusa

Postby bilko on Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:32 +0000

lindlakebusa wrote:make shore you put on a turbo temp gauge that is what cause my engine to blow there is a hole and crack across number 3 piston from the piston getting to hot i am trying to get my engine fixed by d/gas aus

Thanks for the info lindlakebusa. I'll have a talk to Matt about your engine too. That sucks!!
bilko

Postby bilko on Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:40 +0000

ok quick update.

Exhaust is done all for around $200. Pretty good hey 8-) Sounds a treat too. I have a 10" x5" straight through resinator at the back. They really do sound pretty ordinary without it. Actually it sounded like a 4 cyclinder 1976 gemini with a shitty hotdog exhaust....Yuck i hate that type of sound...Pissy little car with big exhaust. Honestly the $60 for the resinator is worth every cent. Exhaust went nicely around the tank, will show pic when it's on the hoist.

Gas gets done on 09Mar09. I should have fuel consumption figures for exhaust change by then, then all the fun testing starts :twisted:

Any takers on providing a chip for the run?
bilko

Postby Quinny34 on Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:46 +0000

What brand of resinator?
FCCW
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby LuxinLuxout on Mon, 02 Mar 2009 5:43 +0000

Bilko your straight through 3" exhaust with the resinator sounds good? - Mind putting up a sound bite so we can sample? :D
Btw - What do you think of these vortex muffler thingys? - http://www.vortexexhausts.com.au/comparison.html
and have you heard of snow performance kits...thought they might be worth giving a shot on your project (approx. 1K and a bit to get it done and dusted - http://www.full-throttle.com.au/Engine/ ... Diesel.htm)
Anyway doing a great job with your project..Keep it up.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
LuxinLuxout

Postby bilko on Tue, 03 Mar 2009 1:50 +0000

My resinator is a redback.
Those vortex mufflers look the treat. It would be interesting to see power and torque figures after fitting one of those bad boys!!

I'll see if i can manage to upload a sound file some time this week. Having a bit of computer trouble at the moment.
bilko

Re: Diesel Gas, it's fitted!

Postby Bucko on Sun, 19 Apr 2009 8:45 +0000

Hi boys,
I have a 07 lux and it has the DP chip, 3" system and would like to put it on gas, but
don't wont to cut up the system, so how big is the gas tank? it also has a 150l longrange tank,
Is there some where ellse i can put the gas tank?

thanks
reg bucko
Bucko
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bilko on Tue, 28 Apr 2009 5:57 +0000

Bucko wrote:Hi boys,
I have a 07 lux and it has the DP chip, 3" system and would like to put it on gas, but
don't wont to cut up the system, so how big is the gas tank? it also has a 150l longrange tank,
Is there some where ellse i can put the gas tank?

thanks
reg bucko

G'day Bucko,

I've been holding off posting more on the gas to gain some more real fuel usage data and get my dyno runs done. I'm going to pull my finger out and just do the runs in about two weeks. I was waiting for Monster's CPU to turn up so i could get all the runs done in one hit, but seems he's a bit delayed at the moment.

I have a 27Lt gas tank that is fitted opposite to the diesel tank. I'm not sure how far over the tail shaft you tank extends, but what i will do is take some pics with a ruler to give you some idea how close the exhaust now sits to the tail shaft. I'll see how i go this friday and try to get it on a hoist to take clear pics for you.

At this stage we haven't done any post fitment adjustment to the gas usage, but I have been told we are slightly using too much gas and will knock it back a touch. I am getting an average of 16% diesel saving with heaps smoother torque and improved power.

I'll post some stuff up this weekend, to keep all informed. All i can say is that i believe that i made the right choice with the gas option.
bilko

Postby walkabout on Thu, 30 Apr 2009 4:55 +0000

Hi, I have a 09 SR and have been thinking about this gas up option. Will my warranty be void? Costs?
walkabout

Postby bilko on Thu, 07 May 2009 4:21 +0000

walkabout wrote:Hi, I have a 09 SR and have been thinking about this gas up option. Will my warranty be void? Costs?

G'day walkabout,

I paid $4500 total. I made and fitted my own exhaust to go around the gas tank which saved me $350 on the fitment cost. Warranty should not be an issue. You get coverage with the kit anyway. Read up on dieselgas technologies seq II kit and also the gas rebate claim conditions. If entitled you'll get $2000 back by the gov.

Still not had time to get picks done :( See how this weekend goes
bilko

Postby jamiecracker on Thu, 07 May 2009 5:21 +0000

bilko wrote:
walkabout wrote:Hi, I have a 09 SR and have been thinking about this gas up option. Will my warranty be void? Costs?

G'day walkabout,

I paid $4500 total. I made and fitted my own exhaust to go around the gas tank which saved me $350 on the fitment cost. Warranty should not be an issue. You get coverage with the kit anyway. Read up on dieselgas technologies seq II kit and also the gas rebate claim conditions. If entitled you'll get $2000 back by the gov.

Still not had time to get picks done :( See how this weekend goes

come on mate pull your finger out :D
jamiecracker

Postby bilko on Wed, 13 May 2009 8:49 +0000

jamiecracker wrote:come on mate pull your finger out :D

:lol: I know Its all been a bit flat out lately. :roll:

This weekend is looking promissing. My neighbour is building some sliders this weekend for a guy that does video camera for 4wd action. I should hit him up to go out with some of the NewHilux guys and use their footage for a section in their mag. Worth a shot?

Anyway, may not get hoist, but I'll rough it on my back to get shots :lol: Oh and i found the decibel readings i did to. They be posted with the pics hopefully
bilko

Next

Return to Fuel Systems