Fuel Guage levels

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Fuel Guage levels

Postby Scratchblades on Tue, 11 Sep 2018 8:02 +0000

Ok Guys

Quick question, i had a previous issues before the ARB Frontier tank was installed whereby , F Guage on Half meant Empty , i though as a test id fill up tonight and see how much the tank took as the Guage was on Half, wow she took almost 148 Litres, which is telling me the Guage aint reading right, Any ideas.

Cheers

SB
Scratchblades

Re: Fuel Guage levels

Postby martynvella on Wed, 12 Sep 2018 5:42 +0000

Well pretty good guess on the gauge not reading right, i thought the frontier tank only held 145 litres, but i looked at a few different tanks and might have got the wrong figure stuck in my mind.

My gauge seems to be a little erratic with mine, as expected it reads full till i have used aprox 70 litres, i have filled it when on 1/4 and put in 120 litres, and next time it was half way between 1/4 and empty and it only took 125 litres. But at least mine is in my favour reading lower than actual.

Easiest way to diagnose would be to unplug the sender off the tank, and i dont think that would be a very easy job, and plug in a known good unit and move the float through its range. This is fairly common practice but i have never done it on a Hilux so not really sure what you will find inside your tank. You might try to find out the specs of the sender and fashion a tester, some work on variable resistance and some on varying voltage but pay special attention to the min and max values, dont go over or under them.
From what i have read the instruments play up a bit.

Something i noticed yesty when greasing the tailshaft is that there was gravel between the rear strap and the tank on the outer side from a recent trip, all the other strap positions seem pretty well protected but will have to do something about that one, unfortunatly i have only just filled the tank for another trip so it will have to wait till i get back.

Let us know how you go.
martynvella

Return to Fuel Systems