1KD-FTV fuel pump

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

1KD-FTV fuel pump

Postby airwavepirate on Wed, 15 Aug 2018 3:16 +0000

Hi
I was wondering if anyone has replaced a 1KD-FTV fuel pump? I have a 2011 hilux 3.0 D4D that cut out the other day. It just cranks and wont fire. I assume its the fuel pump. Left It 2 days, now runs fine.

Just a guess, I assume I'd need to take the timing belt off, and undo the fuel pump pulley bolt. Then is it as easy as undoing the two nuts on the back of the pump, and using a pulley press tool, crack the pulley off and remove the pump?

Is the pump pulley not driven by the crank in some way? Then the pump pulley drives the camshaft via the belt? Any help much appreciated.
airwavepirate

Re: 1KD-FTV fuel pump

Postby fracturedranga on Wed, 15 Aug 2018 4:33 +0000

I've done mine a few times now, pull the timing belt off make sure you line up the timing marks. Pull of the fuel hard and soft lines and the 2 loom plugs. you'll need a 17mm crow foot spanner by memory, undo the pump pully centre bolt and the 4 little bolts to get it apart. Then get the 2 back bolts off, it's a shit show getting the one near the block. I then used a steering wheel puller to press the pump out by the shaft. Putting it back in make sure your keyway lines up perfectly slide it in and then reassemble. The pump is driven by a couple of idler gears from the crank
If it run again after 2 days it's unlikely the pump itself may be the solinoid or some other issue.
fracturedranga

Postby fracturedranga on Wed, 15 Aug 2018 4:33 +0000

I've done mine a few times now, pull the timing belt off make sure you line up the timing marks. Pull of the fuel hard and soft lines and the 2 loom plugs. you'll need a 17mm crow foot spanner by memory, undo the pump pully centre bolt and the 4 little bolts to get it apart. Then get the 2 back bolts off, it's a shit show getting the one near the block. I then used a steering wheel puller to press the pump out by the shaft. Putting it back in make sure your keyway lines up perfectly slide it in and then reassemble. The pump is driven by a couple of idler gears from the crank
If it run again after 2 days it's unlikely the pump itself may be the solinoid or some other issue.
fracturedranga

Postby airwavepirate on Sun, 19 Aug 2018 9:17 +0000

Thanks for the reply. Its been running fine since. You can get the suction control valves on eBay for $100 odd. No idea what the problem was, but it was def fuel related.
airwavepirate

Return to Fuel Systems