Draining fuel tank with in tank pump

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Draining fuel tank with in tank pump

Postby robfricke on Sun, 27 May 2018 11:16 +0000

I know the topic of draining a fuel tank has been talked about a few times.
Alternately to lowering the fuel tank of disconnecting the filler tube and syphoning the tank.
Has anyone had any experiences electrically turning on the in tank fuel pump? Would this be possible to do through obd tuning software?
I am thinking I could disconnect the main fuel tube before the fuel cooler or even at the filter itself add a hose extension into a jerry and turn the pump on until the tank is empty.
robfricke

Re: Draining fuel tank with in tank pump

Postby bloke&tackle on Fri, 01 Jun 2018 1:20 +0000

Sounds possible but I don't know how to power the pump with an OBD. Maybe disconnect it then hotwire it?
Easiest way, put the job off and keep driving until the tank is almost empty and don't worry about the last 10 litres or so it won't make any difference.
Regards Chris.

I started life with nothing, and I've still got most of it left
bloke&tackle

Postby TOYZX on Fri, 01 Jun 2018 6:49 +0000

I assume your talking about a petrol lux as the diesels don't have an in-tank pump!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby robfricke on Wed, 06 Jun 2018 8:29 +0000

I have a diesel and it’s been sitting up with a full tank of fuel for a year whilst I’ve been living overseas and I filled it prior to leaving to try prevent any moisture build up.
I wasn’t sure if there was a diesel in tank pump but looking online at the Toyota parts breakdownit shows that the main fuel lines come from the top of the tank attached to the sender/pump unit along with the workshop manual showing the same.
Photo might be broken but if you click it, it should show up
robfricke

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 06 Jun 2018 3:23 +0000

If it's only a year put some fuel doctor in and drive it. Fuel will be fine after 1year.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby bloke&tackle on Sun, 17 Jun 2018 5:21 +0000

Diesel? yeah it'll be fine, especially if you left it full as you say.
Petrol absorbs moisture from the atmosphere, not diesel. Metal diesel tanks will get some condensation inside in colder weather at night if the tank isn't full. That's why earthmoving equipment should be fuelled up at the end of the day.
Regards Chris.

I started life with nothing, and I've still got most of it left
bloke&tackle

Return to Fuel Systems