Long Ranger fitting instructions

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Long Ranger fitting instructions

Postby Kev McD on Mon, 19 Mar 2018 9:19 +0000

Hi guys,

Searched the site high and low - see a few folks have asked the same question but may have been answered by P.M.
Does any have the installation instructions for fitting a 140l Long Ranger tank in my 2011 dual cab please. Just picked one up from a parted out Hilux. No brackets etc. Would like to see what I need hardware-wise before we drop the stock tank. And to see if there is any cutting of brackets to be done.

Cheers,
Kev
Kev McD

Re: Long Ranger fitting instructions

Postby hiluxxury on Tue, 20 Mar 2018 5:28 +0000

G'day, you'll need 3 square U bolts and a plate to go above the front cross member. See pics:

http://thelongranger.com.au/toyota/hilux/2005-2015/tr63

Makes it easier unbolt the rear tailshaft flange.

I dont remember cutting anything... but it was a while ago.
Last edited by hiluxxury on Tue, 20 Mar 2018 9:18 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Re: Long Ranger fitting instructions

Postby jabiru18 on Tue, 20 Mar 2018 8:22 +0000

I would look at the FAQ on the website before installing. Mine was installed incorrectly and is an absolute b*tch to fill up.

viewtopic.php?f=29&p=418177

http://thelongranger.com.au/toyota/hilux/2005-2015/tr63

From their website

Why is it so hard to fill my fuel tank after the tray was fitted
The filler of our LongRanger tank is in the same location as the OEM tank, the original steel filler neck on the vehicle does not lend itself very well to being lowered. Whether the standard fuel tank or a LongRanger is installed.
Unfortunately some tray manufacturers modify the fill neck to mount under the tie rail which is generally to low for the fuel to flow from the bowser to the tank or they rotate the fill neck and have a low point in the fast fill breather causing an air lock.
A well designed tray will have the fill neck mounted high and the fast fill breather with a gradual rise from the tank, below is a graphic for explanation.
During the fitting of a new tank it is important for the fast fill breather to have a gradual rise from the tank to the filler. If this is not done an air lock can form where fuel will accumulate stopping the air from escaping as you fill the tank, see picture below for do’s and dont’s of a filler neck install.

. .
jabiru18

Return to Fuel Systems