Please help-Stuck injector

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Please help-Stuck injector

Postby FreeLux on Sun, 01 Oct 2017 11:09 +0000

Guys please help. I am at my witts end. I removed the first three injectors in an effort to replace the injector seats. Now the number 4 is stuck like a MoFo. I can't get it to budge what so ever. Is there a special tool for prying these bastards out. I have tried many things but this number 4 is just stuck like its welded in there. Please help.
FreeLux

Re: Please help-Stuck injector

Postby davo94 on Wed, 04 Oct 2017 5:46 +0000

Try and twist it side to side. You could use the engines compression to help but I'm not going into that one online..... :D
Another 2013 sr5 owner..
davo94

Postby TOYZX on Wed, 04 Oct 2017 9:08 +0000

Sprayed penetrating oil around it and let it soak.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby FreeLux on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 9:02 +0000

Man I tried everything to get number 4 out and in the end just gave up on it. I thought if the bastard is that stuck in there maybe its not one of the leaky ones. Thankfully I was right. Before I changed the seats in number 1, 2 and 3 the engine sounded and looked like a steam engine with the oil cap removed. Now it sounds normal and my catch can is clean and no smoke coming from it. Sounds pretty much as it should. Performance is miles better too.
Anyway the three injectors i could remove and change the seats on were so encrusted with carbon deposits that I had to scrape and chip away the build up with a screwdriver. It was horrible. Clead them up as well as I could with carby cleaner. They came up pretty good. Put new seats and o-rings on and torqued the new bolts down. Started the car and fully expected the problem to still be there but to my amazement it wasn't. If the problem comes back I am pretty positive it will be number 4 and if it starts to leak it should mean it has loosened and I should be able to remove it. I saved the seat and o-ring for it. I just dread removing those lines again.
Also cleaned the pick up. That was mess. I was pretty much covered in black crap for a week. Face and hands. Looked like I was making a very bad black face joke or something. Also ran fresh oil with oil flush concetrate in the engine as soon as I started it and then dumped the oil. New oil is still clear two weeks later. It is so clear it is actually very hard to tell the level its at. Love it. Before it would turn black within 5 minutes. So happy with the car. It also sounds quiter while idling and cold start is also much, much quiter.
So happy with the car I decided to keep it and tomorrow I will fit a 3 inch exhaust system to it. Hopefully it will give me a bit more punch.
FreeLux

Postby ktm300 on Tue, 17 Oct 2017 3:58 +0000

FreeLux wrote:Man I tried everything to get number 4 out and in the end just gave up on it. I thought if the bastard is that stuck in there maybe its not one of the leaky ones. Thankfully I was right. Before I changed the seats in number 1, 2 and 3 the engine sounded and looked like a steam engine with the oil cap removed. Now it sounds normal and my catch can is clean and no smoke coming from it. Sounds pretty much as it should. Performance is miles better too.
Anyway the three injectors i could remove and change the seats on were so encrusted with carbon deposits that I had to scrape and chip away the build up with a screwdriver. It was horrible. Clead them up as well as I could with carby cleaner. They came up pretty good. Put new seats and o-rings on and torqued the new bolts down. Started the car and fully expected the problem to still be there but to my amazement it wasn't. If the problem comes back I am pretty positive it will be number 4 and if it starts to leak it should mean it has loosened and I should be able to remove it. I saved the seat and o-ring for it. I just dread removing those lines again.
Also cleaned the pick up. That was mess. I was pretty much covered in black crap for a week. Face and hands. Looked like I was making a very bad black face joke or something. Also ran fresh oil with oil flush concetrate in the engine as soon as I started it and then dumped the oil. New oil is still clear two weeks later. It is so clear it is actually very hard to tell the level its at. Love it. Before it would turn black within 5 minutes. So happy with the car. It also sounds quiter while idling and cold start is also much, much quiter.
So happy with the car I decided to keep it and tomorrow I will fit a 3 inch exhaust system to it. Hopefully it will give me a bit more punch.

Dont expect much from the 3 inch as it will be mostly noise you will gain , Not power .
ktm300

Postby Critter350 on Tue, 17 Oct 2017 6:31 +0000

Swapping injectors on my sons Rodeo, the stuck one was the bad one. Reckon it was the carbon that jammed it in. Ended up getting a nut on to the top and working it back and forward with a breaker bar.

Cheers
Crit
Critter350

Postby TOYZX on Tue, 17 Oct 2017 12:26 +0000

X2 on what Critt said the stuck one is probably the worst one plus being at the back it gets cooked in there.

TOYZX

Postby Krat on Tue, 17 Oct 2017 4:51 +0000

x3 on this one.
I had the same issue with leaking injector seats. Number 4 was stuck solid and had leaked past the O ring.
Sorry to say this now, but it needs to come out ASAP.
My mechanic and I ended up removing the EGR to get more leverage on the injector with a breaker bar. One person working on the bar from one side and the other person twisting the injector from the other side to get it to move.
Krat

Postby Critter350 on Tue, 17 Oct 2017 5:45 +0000

Krat wrote:One person working on the bar from one side and the other person twisting the injector from the other side to get it to move.

Sounds scary, don’t want to snap it off, you’d have to take the head off...
Soak (crc) wiggle soak wiggle, steady as she goes.

Cheers
Crit
Critter350

Postby FreeLux on Wed, 18 Oct 2017 2:58 +0000

Don't know the state of the injector in terms of performance but there is definitely next to no blow by what so ever now. The catch can had smoke pouring out of it and when I took the oil cap off you could hear the compression escaping into the rocker cover and see the smoke coming out. Now there is non of that. There is actually vacuum when I take the oil cap off. Not at all how it used to be. Not saying that number 4 wont start leaking but at moment I am 100% sure it isn't. Car is a night and day difference now. Oil is staying clean and everything is better. At least for now. Also the huge cloud that used to cover the neighborhood on cold starts is no more. Not a single puff of smoke. Love it.
Not sure what to tell you guys about the exhaust. Just fitted it up today and took the car for a test drive. First of all I love the not but also about 200prpm the car feels heaps gruntier. I can also feel I am using much less pedal to maintain same speed compared to previously. Remember its a 12 year old car that used to burn quite a bit of oil that leaked passed the injectors. I used to cover my whole court in white smoke every morning and I am sure that shit blocked the hell out of the cat. The difference I am feeling may well be the absence of a clogged catalytic converter but even if I just changed the cat it would come close to the price of the whole 3 inch system so........ Plus it sounds very nice.
Also after i did change the 3 seats I cleaned my catch can and that is still bone dry. It got covered in oil 15min after I fitted it initially so to me thats another sign that there is no compression leak so far.
FreeLux

Postby TOYZX on Thu, 19 Oct 2017 4:40 +0000

You probably can't see it leaking because it has sealed itself up with burnt crap! Hence why you can't get it out.

TOYZX

Postby DeadlyBeast on Thu, 19 Oct 2017 6:00 +0000

x2what Toyzx said

Would have been useful information to know about the plumes of white smoke on your thread
Rocker cover gasket

Might have saved you some grief later down the track but never mind. Heres where you are at now

From that thread:
DeadlyBeast wrote:Genuine injectors and injector seats/sheets/seals?
When was the last time you got injector feedback values checked?
Checked the oil sump plug pickup screen recently?
Any smoke coming out from the the oil filer when removed and engine running?
Get those injector feedback values done.

I see the answer to the 4th question from that thread has been answered on this thread

The reason you would check the sump is for carbon - the same crud that jamming your 4th injector is a result of engine oil and fuel burning from blowby past the injector seat combining to create an evil black abrasive adhesive sealant with the sole intent to kill D4D engines

Heres some vital threads
http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=26091
http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13749&p=196573&hilit=Injector+smoke#p196573
http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=28053

Whats all the fuss? This is happening inside your oil pick up, among many other places, and the rest of the engine is getting starved of lubrication while scoring out every moving part in the block

Hopefully that 4th injector seat will not fail while away on your trip.

Engine detonation is inevitable with leaking seals :(
DeadlyBeast

Postby ktm300 on Thu, 19 Oct 2017 6:06 +0000

But at Least it will sound good when it blows up .
ktm300

Postby FreeLux on Thu, 19 Oct 2017 7:13 +0000

If it blows up it blows up. The car was free and I can't be arssed with it anymore. If it ain't broke I refuse to fix it. No smome from the oil filler cap. The pick up had a bit of crud on it but nothing like the picture above. Anyway that little bit of crud was blasted away by few liters of kero. I am getting no blow-by and engine is runing fine. Its a 12yr old car and has done about 220000km. I am sure 8t could use new injectors. Also the turbo is a tad bit tired too. When I changed the exhaust I checked it and had a bit more end float than it would be acceptable. Again, I am not going to start pouring money into it as it runs fine. It also has a slow leak from the rear main. The original clutch will need to be changed within a year or so so I might as well do it then if the leak doesn't get worse. And just like any other 12yr old car it has plenty of other issues but there is no way I am going to drop silly money into it. Much rather in a years time upgrade to a 2012-2014 SR5 and drop coin on that car. This old girl starts and drives just fine for her age.
FreeLux

Postby DrewXT on Fri, 20 Oct 2017 8:19 +0000

Easiest way to remove the injectors is with a slide hammer... That's how the dealerships do it... Got a hook on the end of it that exerts force with each whack, and pulls then out... Beats risking breaking them off with a pry bar

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
DrewXT

Return to Fuel Systems