How to Check Fuel Breather?

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

How to Check Fuel Breather?

Postby ipdialup on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 1:26 +0000

Hi,

I'm about to head back to Africa (next week) and want to do a bit of work on my Hilux that I have out there, it's a 2.5 5sp Manual 2012 model without the intercooler, so I believe it's a the 75KW motor (102PS).

I have a feeling that the fuel breather might be blocked and has caused the fuel tank to deform, as the fuel gauge never drops below 1/4.

Can somebody give me some idea how I can check the components of the fuel breather system?

Does the tank need to come out to do it?

Thanks,

Andy.
ipdialup

Re: How to Check Fuel Breather?

Postby TOYZX on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 5:09 +0000

This happened to me a while ago. Iv ypu have opened the tank and relieved the pressure then the tank should return to normal. I pulled mine out to check everything, cleaned the pickup screen and flushed it all out. Not a hard job to do amd worthwhile.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Re: How to Check Fuel Breather?

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 6:16 +0000

I would imagine that time is short if you are preparing for Africa next week? Does the pressure relieve when the fuel cap is opened?

On the 3L D4D the breather is just on top of the tank. Its can be seen if you crank your head up under there from the centre underside and feel around. Should be able to pop the breather valve off to clean it without dropping (as Toyzx says well worth it if time allows) the tank if its the same as 3L models.

Addit - found a couple pics to give you an idea where it sits - just behind the heat shield

Breather 2.jpg

20150622_115617 (Small).jpg

Pulled the breather out of that dirty track and extended it to an area that wont get covered in mud
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DeadlyBeast

Return to Fuel Systems