manually pumping a diesel pump

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

manually pumping a diesel pump

Postby dundeedoogeroo on Sat, 06 May 2017 5:16 +0000

Hi there,

I'm having a similar problem to getting the 2008 Hilux going again after running out of fuel & re-fueling - in having to manually pump the pump under the bonnet. However, this time it's not caused by running out of fuel - rather a leak in the system. My company mechanic has had a couple of attempts & fixing it by replacing various hoses - though the problem occasionally returns.

After some pumping, there's no obvious increase in resistance that would indicate the air has gone - I have to pump like crazy while someone else turns the key. My worry is that if this problem occurs & I'm in the middle of nowhere alone :shock: . Is there anyway to get the air out & vehicle started alone? The problem seems more likely to occur if parked on a steep incline - & this has been when the nose is uphill. So I'm wondering if I park with the nose downhill the problem may be avoided? I haven't been loosening any nuts on the fuel pump as mentioned is necessary in some makes/models of vehicle - so wondering if this would allow me to get the vehicle going solo... any ideas?
dundeedoogeroo

Re: manually pumping a diesel pump

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sat, 06 May 2017 10:24 +0000

This might give you a lead
http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22467&start=20

Have you replaced the filter recently?
Hows the O-ring and housing ring

Let us know how you go
DeadlyBeast

Return to Fuel Systems