Fuel tank vent

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Fuel tank vent

Postby Web-eng on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 3:23 +0000

Can anyone tell me if the fuel tank breather vent valve is located in the top of the fuel tank itself or is the fitting in the top of the tank simply a hose fitting with the breather valve being located in the engine bay as a part of the charcoal canister???

If fitting a long range tank, is the original tank fitting required or is the breather hose just connected to a hose fitting in the new tank?

Cheers!
99 Twin Turbo Hilux build up
PATROLUX build up - 05 cab on GU Patrol chassis LSA engine swap
Web-eng

Re: Fuel tank vent

Postby davbar65 on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 4:16 +0000

The brand I deal with most is "The Longranger". I have installed around 40 of these.
They supply a new rollover valve with the tank and any other hoses or fittings you need as part of the kit.
You will reuse your fuel pump/sender unit from the factory tank as well as the fuel line connectors which are removed from the factory lines and fitted to new hose.
They are quite easy to fit though much easier if you can use a hoist.

I've only fitted 3 Brown Davis tanks and they are similar with everything you need supplied with the new tank.

Cheers....
davbar65

Postby gregn on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 5:38 +0000

not 100% but doesnt the tank beathe through the filler cap.
gregn

Postby davbar65 on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 8:50 +0000

Yes.
The long ranger has a one way valve on top of the tank which acts a a general breather but seals if the vehicle rolls.
The one you are talking about is also a breather but generally called a fast fill hose as it is a larger diameter and allows quicker filling. It is simply a hose which connects to the tank next to the filler pipe and runs up to the filler neck to help air escape while filling. It does not have any valves or any other tricky stuff attached. It is joined into the filler neck just inside the cap....the cap then works to stop moisture getting in when closed up.
Does that help any?

Cheers.
davbar65

Postby GeeBung on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 5:31 +0000

I had an actual beather on top of my long ranger that i extended up into the head board. It was the standard breather on an extended bit of hose. From memory when they fitted the long ranger they had zip tied the breather up onto a tray mount i ust extended it from there.
GeeBung

Postby gregn on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 6:41 +0000

i was talking about the cap itself, my older hilux as had problems with the valve in the cap not allowing air in, when i open the cap to fill up it lets air in when you break the seal like the tank is sucked in, not sure if that makes sense. i have long ranger tanks in both my hiluxs 2001 and 2013 but ill have to have a look for the breather you talk about on top of the tank i didnt think there was one there.
gregn

Postby Web-eng on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 8:02 +0000

Thanks Guys,

This is the tank I am building for my "Patrolux". I've fitted the filler hose fitting and the filler breather along with a machined flange to take the standard Hilux fuel pump assembly. I am yet to fit the tank breather but it will be fitted at the location of the X on the top near the pump flange. Capacity is about 92 litres. Unlike most aftermarket long range tanks and even some standard fuel tanks, I've made it so it sits up flush with the bottom of the chassis rails.

I was thinking about fitting one of these rollover valves, just wasn't sure if the fitting in the standard Hilux tank was a rollover valve type fitting or simply a hose tail.

Web-eng

Postby davbar65 on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 7:35 +0000

Love your work bloke.
Don't forget to adjust your float to account for the deeper tank.
I don't know for sure if the factory tank "rollover" valve is a one way valve or straight fitting as I've never removed one to look. It certainly appears to be a valve from the outside and is supposed to stop fuel leaking in the event of a rollover. I did attempt to remove one once out of interest...it didn't survive the attempt which is probably why Longranger supply a new one with their tanks.
Cheers.
davbar65

Postby Web-eng on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 7:42 +0000

Thanks mate,

Yep, I've adjusted the float to give full travel from top to bottom.
Anyone else have any details on the factory valve/fitting?
Stupidly I forgot to check it before getting rid of the original Hilux tank.....
Web-eng

Return to Fuel Systems