facet fuel pumps

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

facet fuel pumps

Postby bj343 on Tue, 09 Sep 2008 8:07 +0000

A question to all, if you are running 2 fuel filters and are worried about the extra demand on the fuel pump would it be a good idea to put inline say an electric facet fuel pump as a helper or would it muck up the fuel pump due to receiving pressurised fuel
bj343

Re: facet fuel pumps

Postby olcoolone on Tue, 09 Sep 2008 11:02 +0000

The fuel pump thing is a urban myth, running two filters would have very little impact on the fuel pump.

Does this mean when the factory filter gets a bit more restrictive due to junk is it going to make the factory pump fail.

I doubt Denso would use an under rated pump in their systems.

Common rail systems run a very grunty fuel pump.
olcoolone

Re: facet fuel pumps

Postby Skog07 on Tue, 09 Sep 2008 11:29 +0000

Bj.
I looked at this too. You can get a pump intergrated into the CAV filters and separators. Im not sure how the Toyota filter would stand up to being pressurised. It is a vacuum filter and the pump draws through it rather than being forced through by a pump at the tank side of the filter.
Also being pressurised it could force particles through the filter as well if it was not designed to do so or disintergrate over a period of time and the particles of the filter itself could become lodged in the pump. If you were to try it I would also replace the Toyota canister with a new one as well.
I had a look at the specs of the Rayco fiters and they seem to have very low suction losses through them and can cope with large amounts of diesel drawn through them much larger than the motor would require under maximum load.
BCH found out that Toyota is putting new and larger filters in mining spec hilux's. After the Toyota filter without any pumping aid.
Even with my plain old glass bowl separator, and strainer you would be absolutely surprised at the amount of crap in diesel. Im glad I can filter the larger particles out up to 30 microns, the smaller ones also tend to fall to the bottom of the bowl as well. I havent had any water yet!!!!
Touch wood.
Cheers
Mark
Skog07

Return to Fuel Systems