Factory fuel filter housing cracked

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Factory fuel filter housing cracked

Postby adamweedz on Sat, 13 Dec 2014 9:35 +0000

Hi guys,
Havent posted for a while here, but recently had an issue with my fuel filter housing and this may help others diagnose future problems.
I do my own servicing on my 07 hilux, 140k on clock and regularly change the fuel filter.
So just did the service and my fuel filter started seeping. At first I thought I had got the housing nut in the wrong place or cross threaded/misaligned but after refitting and running the engine another 3 times there was no difference.
I rang toyota and took it to them, upon inspection with the workshop foreman and another mechanic they said I had everything correct and that they would try another new filter/oring in there in case the oring was the issue.
After they fitted the new filter and orings and ran the vehicle.....we still had diesel seeping out.

The foreman said the workshop had been changing out a few older models with cracks in the housing so we rubbed the whole unit down with solvent and monitored it with a torch closely and sure enough diesel slowly started seeping out the housing where the plastic is joined together in 2 halves. What weak design!

New filter housing ordered, hopefully here next week. Car is still driveable but not doing any major trips with it.

Just hope this helps others who may get in the same situation.
adamweedz

Return to Fuel Systems