Injector problems from bad fuel

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Injector problems from bad fuel

Postby wat700 on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 5:31 +0000

G'day All,

So my check engine light came on recently - 08 SR 4x4 D4D approx 102,000km. I took it to Toyota who advised (based on the fault code) it was something to do with the injectors but they couldn't look at it for a few days. I took it back today and they called me to say one of the injectors wasn't working, two were out of tolerance and the fourth was in tolerance.

The recommendation was the replace the injectors. I said fair enough but wanted to know why they weren't working but the Toyota bloke said he didn't know but he suspected bad fuel (he hadn't checked). I asked him the logical question of if I replaced the injectors and there was a fuel problem would that not lead to the same problem again - possibly he said. So he agreed that it would be best to check the fuel and remove the tank (which he added would cost more to do).

They rang tonight advising it was definitely bad fuel and have invited me to go and view the tank tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I still have the receipt from the servo - filled up there many times before with no probs. However, I drove a couple of hundred kms over a couple of week period before it became an issue (I have a 153L tank). I did have some other fuel in the tank (maybe a third of a tank) which may explain why it took so long?

Do I have any chance of getting the servo to pay? Given I drove a fair distance and it was a while till I had the problem? I'm insured with NRMA and while I haven't spoken to them I saw on other similar threads they don't pay out on bad fuel.

Any advice appreciated if there's anything I can do. I suspect I'm up for a fairly hefty bill (Toyota are quoting around $3200 - includes a servicing as well as four new injectors etc).

Cheers,

Watto
wat700

Re: Injector problems from bad fuel

Postby fourby4diesel on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 6:26 +0000

If its bad fuel, servos often pay. Usually it's a water issue, many peeps have the problem & servo know its their fault.
Depends what you are going to look at, water build up over time? Or crap in tank built up over time?
Or a fresh batch of crap? Which you won't be the only one.

It's also possible the injectors were out of spec, these things are a problem as you may well know.
Then you might have a failed solenoid on one? Failed....?
New DENSO Injectors are the go! New genuine parts.
Cheers, Anth - Technician - 1KD-FTV

Check your injectors about every 10,000k.
WARNING check oil pickup screen is clear
no chips no tune ups - why increase risk of piston cracking?
fourby4diesel

Re: Injector problems from bad fuel

Postby kickinback on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 5:22 +0000

Don't get your injectors thru Toyota. Give BDG a call.
kickinback

Return to Fuel Systems