Fuel filter housing sucking air (update - not the problem)

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Fuel filter housing sucking air (update - not the proble

Postby wttmf on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 11:12 +0000

Anyone know where the ecu relay is?
And other than the main fuse box under steering wheel and behind battery and a few under glove box near ecu are there any hidden that I should know about?

Removed all sensors I could find as suggested to see if engine light came on and it didnt.

Auto sparky mate I spoke to said from his experience when engine light not on its often a fuse or relay fault. I have checked all I can find but cant find a ecu relay.
Behind battery there is glow and starter, near ecu there are 2 , not labeled but checked and ok.
Last edited by wttmf on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 1:58 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
wttmf

Postby boxhead55 on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 1:03 +0000

Green relay in the fuse box behind the battery and internal relays in the integration box under the steering wheel
boxhead55

Postby wttmf on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 3:28 +0000

boxhead55 wrote:Green relay in the fuse box behind the battery and internal relays in the integration box under the steering wheel

The green relay behind battery is labeled as glow relay, is it for both glow and ecu, and does it have to be genuine relay as I found it to be faulty and replaced it with none genuine with same terminal configuration. Just wondering if there was some special feature of the genuine relay over a normal relay.
wttmf

Postby boxhead55 on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 4:59 +0000

Sorry man I lead you astray. Even Boxhead gets it wrong at times.
boxhead55

Postby wttmf on Mon, 01 Sep 2014 10:06 +0000

Further update.

ECU relay is in fuse box in a unit called "integration relay", it has 4 relays is one unit, ECU, EDU, fog, and horn relays.

I removed stripped and cleaned contacts and used some crc switch cleaner. After cleaning it would fire up each time every time, even my horn started going, it had stopped working a while back.

So i thought I had it, test drove close to home, did around 100k or so, lots of stop and starts, used it around the farm on/off on/off etc and all good.

Decided to do a trip to visit some mates 300k or so away, trip there was all good but on way home it cut out while driving (first time, before it just wouldn't start). This time engine light is on, but no start, usually it had no engine light when it wouldn't start.
So I pulled relay out and apart cleaned again and bag, fired up, drove home and still going.

Relay is $345 from toymota, and they said they are rare to fail and 2 weeks away.

I finally have a wiring diagram now and I see that the power from ignition goes to ECU then power from terminal MREL on ecu goes to power ecu relay and then power from relay goes back to ECU, seems a bit backward, usually ign powers ecu relay then relay to ecu.

I will have to wait to see if it fails again to test power to relay from ecu and power to ecu from ign switch, if power is not coming out from ecu to relay it could be a ecu fault BUT because every time i clean the relay it goes I'm thinking the relay is the fault. UNLESS the voltage to relay from ecu is low and cleaning just reduced resistance and allows relay to work on low voltage.. but will have to wait and see.
wttmf

Postby jaybajan on Wed, 26 May 2021 10:45 +0000

I have a 2014 Hilux Invincible. And I have been having this same very issue since this past Friday. I first notice the problem when I started the Hilux up Friday morning. It started completely fine and then died 3 seconds later.... Try starting it again and it ran and then died after 3 seconds.

Started it a 3rd time and it wont start... I opened the hood and went right to the fuel filter and I also notice the priming button ontop the filter was soft... I primed it until it got hard.... jumped back in the vehicle and started it and it ran fine.

But each time the vehicle has been turned off for about more than 3 hours.... this issue happens... and I have to prime it for it to start.

I have ordered a SCV and it should soon be here... I feel its a SCV issue that causes this random not starting.
I know this post is old but I would love to know if the original poster had ever found what his real issue was?
jaybajan

Postby hiluxxury on Thu, 27 May 2021 6:25 +0000

Have you changed anything recently?
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 27 May 2021 6:27 +0000

Have you replaced the fuel filter lately? The O ring on the top of the filter must be sealed otherwise you get slow leakage of air into the system. It is normal for the primer pump to be soft if the vehicle has not been run but it should only take a couple of pumps to firm it up. No engine or fuel lights on the dash? Mine did this recently but it's probably because I didn't leave it running for a while, just a minute or so. Was the vehicle parked on an angle? This could also be the issue.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 06 Jun 2021 10:51 +0000

Further info on this... I had the 'no start's issue again and took note that the Hilux was parked on a steep angle nose up. Primed the fuel a couple of times and it started. The only time this has happened is when the Hilux is parked on an angle nose up, passenger (left) side lower. It always starts fine when parked level! The only reason I can come up with is that depending on the angle, there may be fuel draining back to the tank leaving the hose and lift pump dry for some reason. It looks like a slight air leak is possible or there could be a non-return valve somewhere which is not closing, allowing fuel to syphon back to the tank. :?
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Previous

Return to Fuel Systems