P0093 Error Code

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

P0093 Error Code

Postby AshA on Tue, 18 Mar 2014 7:12 +0000

Guys,

I am getting a P0093 error code on a 07 D4D Hilux. I have done forum searches for P0093 but they all seem to refer to problems with aftermarket chips and this vehicle doesn't have one fitted.

Unlike some of the posts I read in the search results, the error does not happen under acceleration. The error occurs almost everytime when going down hill with the foot off the accelerator or when I am stopped at the lights in and the front of the car is facing down hill. There are no obvious fuel leaks anywhere, it just splutters and conks out.

The car will start immediately after but if I take my foot off the accelerator again on the next downhill slope or stop again at another set of lights facing down hill, it happens again. I've changed the fuel filter under the bonnet and bled the fuel system, I've put injector cleaner in the tank a few times and its still happening. I've filled up at a number of different service stations over the past month or so and its had quite a bit of fresh fuel through the system so it doesn't appear to be contaminated fuel. Its like its starving for fuel but only when the nose of the car is facing down hill.

I read in a number of internet posts that most problems are not injector or main diesel pump related but can often by a blocked filter in the tank, damaged in tank pump or blocked in tank pickup screen however the dealer will always try to get you to replace all injectors and the main diesel pump before they try anything else. That's a very expensive option from what I hear so I don't want to do that unless all other possible issues have been ruled out first.

Its been driving me crazy so I have made an appointment with the dealer to get it checked tomorrow, does anyone have any ideas before I go to the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,
Ash
AshA

Re: P0093 Error Code

Postby Pete'90 on Tue, 18 Mar 2014 7:22 +0000

Maybe the stepper motor on the turbo?
Build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23139

Regards
Pete
Pete'90

Postby AshA on Tue, 18 Mar 2014 7:31 +0000

Are you sure that could be an issue? In the other posts that mentioned the stepper motor in the turbo, they usually saw other faults in addition to the P0093, I am only receiving P0093 (powertrain - major fuel leak).

Would there be any other symptoms if it was a stepper motor in the turbo other than it cutting out? Currently I have no loss of power at all, just this stalling symptom going downhill.
AshA

Postby benslux23 on Tue, 18 Mar 2014 7:34 +0000

Let me know how you go, have you tried putting a clear line between the filter and the pump to check for air, sometimes a leak is an air leak into the fuel instead of fuel leaking out
Sometimes it sucks getting passed by a hilux, I don't seem to have that problem though
benslux23

Postby mattwhite on Tue, 18 Mar 2014 7:39 +0000

I'd be inclined to check/replace the suction control valve.
mattwhite

Postby AshA on Tue, 18 Mar 2014 7:51 +0000

Ben, I haven't tried that yet, thanks for the idea.

Matt, I was just reading up about cleaning the SCV a few minutes ago but in the thread I was reading one of the indicators it might be the SCV was that the vehicle would be surging, I don't seem to be suffering any surging but I will certainly get them to check the SCV actuals against targets when they look at it tomorrow as the SCV is certainly cheaper than a whole new pump (around $275 on ebay from united fuel injection).
AshA

Postby mattwhite on Tue, 18 Mar 2014 7:58 +0000

Yeah, diagnosing on a forum is full of heartbreak. Just trying to help mate.
mattwhite

Postby AshA on Tue, 18 Mar 2014 8:09 +0000

Matt, I certainly do appreciate the help and any advice I can get. When I was reading the SCV cleaning thread I thought it might be on the right track because as the understanding I came to was that the SCV controls the suction of fuel from the tank and the engine certainly appears to be suffering from starvation of fuel when the foots off the throttle. What made me think it mightn't be the problem though was when I read the bit about the surging that's usually experienced when this is the cause.

The symptom I have is a bit like what used to happen in an old petrol engine I had years ago that had rust in the fuel tank. In that vehicle the rust would build up in the fuel filter and when you went down hill it would completely block the filter resulting in fuel not getting to the engine. It was fine when the filter was level like =[]= but when it was tilted like on any downhill slope, the problem would occur. When I took the filter off that old beast and blew it out I noticed the rust and realised what the issue was, drained and cleaned the tank properly (painting the inside of it with a special rust treatment that was petrol proof), replaced the filter and never had a problem with it again.

I get a feeling that the in tank filter in this beast is suffering from a similar clogging or like others have mentioned in that SCV thread, there's algae in the SCV causing a similar issue that's really only causing an issue when the vehicle is nose down.
AshA

Postby DeadlyBeast on Tue, 18 Mar 2014 8:32 +0000

DeadlyBeast

Postby AshA on Tue, 18 Mar 2014 8:48 +0000

Deadlybeast - that's the thread I first read, most of the issues mentioned in it were either happening to people with chips installed or happening under load or were related to a sticking fuel rail pressure sensor which appeared to free itself after doing an active test a number of times. Is there something else in there I have missed that you could point me to a bit more accurately than just the link?
AshA

Postby AshA on Tue, 18 Mar 2014 8:50 +0000

Sorry if I sound ungrateful for the assistance offered but I have read heaps of threads on the forum where others seem to have been suffering the same problem but most of them didn't post back what the cure for the problem was after posting their initial message so it gets very frustrating to try to figure it out :(
AshA

Postby boxhead55 on Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:08 +0000

Could be a leaking /faulty fuel rail Relief valve. This will give you the large fuel leak code!
boxhead55

Postby benslux23 on Wed, 19 Mar 2014 3:45 +0000

A blocked pickup filter gives it low power, I know because we recently had one at work low on power and when e pulled the tank out and had a look at the pickup it had about 10mm of dirt either side of it
Sometimes it sucks getting passed by a hilux, I don't seem to have that problem though
benslux23

Postby BDG on Wed, 19 Mar 2014 4:00 +0000

As a starting point, i would suggest having a little look for an air leak... Its quite common for the air to be leaking into the system before the filter, and then actually uses the filter housing as a little air damn, when you go down hill, it moves, allowing the air pocket to get sucked in the pipe leading to the pump. at this point, the rail pressure drops massively, and the code is lodged.

Try this first, if it doesn't work, let us know and we can get on with helping you solve it.

matt - Baileys Diesel Group
BDG

Postby AshA on Wed, 19 Mar 2014 4:34 +0000

Matt, I think you might be on the right track with a leak in that area as it first started happening after changing a fuel filter. Thanks for the reminder to check for leaks in that area. I am at the stealer at the moment and they are just about to run the diagnostics.
AshA

Postby AshA on Wed, 19 Mar 2014 1:49 +0000

A quick update on this issue.....

Driving to the Stealers this morning, no matter what I tried I couldn't get the mongrel thing to throw a fault code. When I got there the guy said without a fault code it was going to be hard for him to pinpoint the problem despite me fully explaining what the symptoms where, what type of driving seemed to make it happen more frequently and supplying him the fault code that my ODB-II software on the phone had captured.

Cut a long story short, he removed, drained and cleaned the fuel tank (which he said had about an inch of green jelly in the bottom of it). He cleaned the strainer on the bottom of the fuel pickup tube in the tank (which he said was almost completely blocked with some black crap that took him a fair amount of time to clean).

Asked him to clean the SCV and he said they didn't do that, all they could offer was to provide me with a complete new pump ($$$$) or a repair kit to service the pump ($$$$). Since I had seen the SCV's available for $225 elsewhere last night I decided that may be a cheaper option I will pursue without the Stealer's assistance.

Got the vehicle back after parting with just over $500 at around 330pm and after filling the tank I took it along some of the roads that it was throwing the fault codes on recently and although it spluttered at one set of lights, it didn't throw any fault codes (touch wood).

I think I will still replace the SCV because if there was that amount of sludge in the tank its probably a bit gummy and after looking at the threads about cleaning it yourself I think the $225 will be money well spent.

As usual, thanks for all of your help guys, as always, its very much appreciated. :D

Ash
AshA

Postby Talktheroo on Wed, 19 Mar 2014 3:45 +0000

Ye, just a reminder here. When you change out the fuel filter, make sure you leave the hose going to the supply pump off, and pump the primer until diesel fuel comes out. Into an ice cream container or something.
This is how you get the air out of the fuel system.
When you reconnect the hose going to the supply pump, you will still have to prime the primer, and then start the vehicle, then keep on pumping that primer until it's hard, while the engine is on at idle.
The Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby AshA on Wed, 19 Mar 2014 8:36 +0000

Well, it seems I spoke too soon when I thought this issue had been solved (well at least at the time I thought it had been solved in part). :cry:

The P0093 error code is back again. In a 60km trip tonight it happened 8 times, exactly the same as before, always downhill with the foot off the accelerator.

And just when you thought Murphy couldn't give you any more bad luck, the passenger side power window decided to crap itself in the DOWN position in the way home tonight and I cant get it to wind up no matter what I do. :cry:

Mr Toyota, if you are reading this thread, I think you better change your advertising campaign. "Unbreakable", is not a accurate way of describing the Hilux. :roll:
AshA

Postby mattwhite on Thu, 20 Mar 2014 1:02 +0000

So did old mate do the fuel filter like Bdg suggested?
mattwhite

Postby Talktheroo on Mon, 24 Mar 2014 8:12 +0000

I know this doesn't help much, but the P0093 code, is really a case by case code.
There's a fuel leak somewhere.
The Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Next

Return to Fuel Systems