Water in Fuel

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Water in Fuel

Postby Cool95 on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:53 +0000

There was a segment on ACA this week that some servos can have up to 8% water in their fuel. The major oil companies say that it is not their responsibility if the water finds its way into your tank.

I don't think a new diesel from Toyota would be cheap, so how does the toyota fuel filter stack up detecting water in the system.

Anyone had bad experience when the filter did not work detecting water? So what are the alternatives?
Cool95

Water in Fuel

Postby HiruxHijinx on Sat, 12 Jul 2008 4:58 +0000

Is that water in the servo's tank, or water in their delivered fuel (from the pump handle)?
I think you will find nearly all fuel storage tanks have significant quantities of water inside, however the fuel will sit on top of the water, and this causes no drama...

Sam.
HiruxHijinx

Water in Fuel

Postby McSumWay on Sat, 12 Jul 2008 6:13 +0000

...until they let the tank run low.

$6000 on my RA rodeo!!
I have nothing good to say down here so I wont say anything at all
McSumWay

Water in Fuel

Postby Rich on Sat, 12 Jul 2008 6:17 +0000

I know the local Servo where I buy my fuel has a cut-off when the fuel drops down to a low level to prevent the water on the bottom of their tank being delevered into your car...

At least that is what they tell me...
Rich

Water in Fuel

Postby TOMUCH on Sat, 12 Jul 2008 7:12 +0000

I had a drama with water in fuel.. it was at a place called Morven QLD.. it wrecked my Furl Pump.. which the Local Toyota dealership fixed under warranty.. Geez, why cant they all be as helpful as those guys.... The Standard filter has a water alarm, that will make the fuel warning light on your dash flash.. but you will need to be quick to stop the car.. get out and drain off the water in the bottom of the filter housing.. read you manual for instructions.. I wasn not quick enough.. apparently.. Some guys have fitted another filter.. the standard filter assembly only costs about $115 or thereabouts.. if you were keen, you could put another one in and wire it up.. at least it will give you the warning sooner.. I just use a product called Fuel Set now.. seems to be working.. Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Water in Fuel

Postby 10K on Sat, 12 Jul 2008 12:56 +0000

Water in some fuel I bought wasn't great.

$8000 later (fuel pump, injectors, common rail, labour, towing, chemical clean of tank) the truck was back on the road.

Toyota told me it wasn't their problem as it was contaminated fuel. This from a company which tells you 'do not replace fuel filter' on new model diesel Hilux's.

Oh what a feeling.

This was December 2006.
Still chasing Shell for the money.
The have lots of lawyers with tough typing fingers.

I have...
The lawyer from 'The Castle'
A bad taste in my mouth
And all the time in the world to contunue to fight for fair compensation.

Be very careful of where you buy fuel, and never fill up just after a fuel delivery... stirs up all the shite on the bottom of the tank.

Buggar
Matt

Water in Fuel

Postby McSumWay on Sat, 12 Jul 2008 8:06 +0000

10k have you gone through your insurance company?

Mine paid as the "accident" was not my fault and they have lots of lawyers too!!
I have nothing good to say down here so I wont say anything at all
McSumWay

Water in Fuel

Postby Rich on Sat, 12 Jul 2008 8:52 +0000

Mcsumway, which insurance company are you with? That sounds like they did the right thing by you mate.

10K, I use Shell, and only Shell. OMG I may have to change.
Up here in TVL, I have heard Caltex has caused a few Hilux's to get water in the fuel, so I have avoided them but I have also heard they have paid for the damage straight away....

Now I am not sure what to do.

I only use one fuel company and I keep every receipt, so in the event I did get water, I could pin it onto them easy.

10K, write a current affair, they are looking for any negative stories about fuel companies at the moment. If shell think they are going to get bad publicity they might make them pay up.

Rich.
Rich

Water in Fuel

Postby 10K on Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:20 +0000

Rich,

Cheers for the idea about A Current Affair.
I might go with Today Tonight... I'm in love with Anna Coren!

Funny you mentioned your fuel company of choice... my story is the exact opposite!

I use my local Caltex servo religiously for both my Diesel and LPG, and one the one occasion I was almost home, but thought I might almost run out of fuel... I'll just whack 15L in it so I don't use the fuel and crap from the bottom of the tank I got nailed... hardcore!
I put 15L of fuel in it from Shell and the rest is history.

I guess I was just really unlucky!

My mates think its justice for all of the stuff I've done in hire cars over the years!! If this was the case I would have been a lot more out of pocket!

Good to use one servo religiously. Someone told me even better to get a fuel card/account from this servo... helps if you should ever get bad fuel from there, or somewhere else to show a pattern of purchase.

I've actually been a bit lax of late chasing this, I'll fire up again this week and get onto it!

Cheers
Matt

Return to Fuel Systems