fuel filter plumbing

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

fuel filter plumbing

Postby martynvella on Mon, 03 Feb 2014 2:05 +0000

Hi,

I am trying to keep the under bonnet as un cluttered as I can so am toying with the idea of putting stuff under the tub,
Seems like there will be just enough room to put an optima battery above the diff or spare wheel and was hoping to get one of those fuel filter come separators under there as well but my question is this,
The easiest place to pick up the fuel supply line is to the front of the tank so there will be a reasonable amount of hose/pipe to get back to the tub area, will this create a problem with the suction, what sort of fuel pumps do the sr5's have, do they have plenty of suction?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Marty.
martynvella

Re: fuel filter plumbing

Postby boxhead55 on Mon, 03 Feb 2014 4:24 +0000

Yea mate suction will not be a problem. But keep all connections air tight and try an keep mud and gunk getting in the filter removing ring or drain location. Sometimes wrapping them in plastic works good. As the ones I have tried to remove under trays or tubs have just been a nightmare.
boxhead55

Postby martynvella on Tue, 04 Feb 2014 4:58 +0000

Thanks BH, was thinking of putting it in some sort of enclosure to prevent stone damage to the glass bowel, might be a bit of a pain at service time but better than the possible alternatives.
martynvella

Postby Talktheroo on Tue, 04 Feb 2014 5:36 +0000

Flow rate above 90L per hour is a good idea.
I was working on Steve's vehicle, on Saturday. He had his water trap installed on the tray in between the cab and the tray. So, no or little chance of stone damage.
This is the unit I would recommend :

114L per hour flow rate.
The replacement filters are pretty expensive, though, but they are one of the best filters out there.
I have a Racor unit on my vehicle.
Link : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Racor-230R10 ... 43bac5724b
The Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby martynvella on Tue, 04 Feb 2014 5:58 +0000

Thanks for the advise, looks like it has a polly base so should be a little more robust too. Not planning on running a really fine filter, probably go with the largest I can get, just want it for the separator, let the easy to get at one do the filtering. An alarm probe for early warning.

Also how important is fuel cooling, I know the Komatsu 930's run a front mounted cooler thats about 2'6" square so I figure it is reasonably important. I know I will probably never be hauling 320 tonnes on a 50 degree day in the ute but is it worth any attention or is the original cooler sufficient?
martynvella

Return to Fuel Systems