TRD Chips and Pulley upgrades??

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: TRD Chips and Pulley upgrades??

Postby Gulfstream8 on Sat, 05 Jul 2014 11:49 +0000

Ryanostrd wrote:Did you end up doing either of the changes to yours?

Looks like JUSTAUTOS has solved your problem :D now we just need him to convince HKS to make a F-Con for the 1GR-FE :evil:

No I did not do mine as I was happy with the shift just not hunting gears when loaded - Toyota ECU trying to push higher gears for better economy but then changing down too soon so far too sensitive! (only when loaded)

Turns out just a little common sense from "Hilux Max" solved that problem :lol: "You don't dive a manual in overdrive up a hill loaded or towing".

So in our 5-Speed auto around town leave it in 4th until about 70-80 and when loaded on the hiway only select 5th when it's flat and change down to 4th just before a steep hill. It actually improved my fuel economy and easier on the Auto.

Some info - in the states they released an ECU update to hold gears longer but according to Boxhead55 not Aust.
Last edited by Gulfstream8 on Sat, 05 Jul 2014 12:13 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Gulfstream8

Postby Ryanostrd on Sat, 05 Jul 2014 12:05 +0000

I'm certainly hoping so :D

I thought that Xede made a chip that was compatible with the 1GR-FE?
Or this that going back to what you said before that it would work only once you have made a change such as boost increase?
Thats funny as you mention the changing to fourth. I had started doing that just by default / chance after I got the car. It annoyed me that it would change to 5th so early so I would leave it in 4th until I had reached 100/110 whatever.
Oh to be a computer wiz, you could get the flash for the auto shifting and instal / tweak it yourself and boom done.
"Ain't nothing like the fine whine of a supercharger"
Ryanostrd

Postby Gulfstream8 on Sat, 05 Jul 2014 12:22 +0000

Xede is a good quality product and they have done a lot of research so it will already come with maps

As mentioned above Bullet on the Goldy does upgrade kits for the TRD - but it is still a piggy back and is limited as to what it can control plus it has to be hard wired in.

A lot of basic piggy backs (not referring to any particular brand) are really "just voltage clamps" that trick the ECU into thinking certain things are not happing - better systems like the HKS F-Con etc have the ability to control more things like unlimited injector and timing etc.

Also some have very poor quality circuit boards so couple this with only having the ability to trick the ECU and that is why you are seeing so many Diesel guys having problems with piggybacks and engine failure etc.

As for being able to re-flash a Toyota ECU it's almost impossible - I know only one member here "Philby" that has achieved this and he uploaded TRD Tacoma software for his supercharged Lux and the Tune is almost perfect at 12.5 AFR at WOT and 14.7AFR at Cruise.

Looks like Toyota Aust was concerned about our higher ambiante temps and our trucks are used more for work so they have added more fuel to protect the engine.
Gulfstream8

Postby Sideways on Mon, 27 Apr 2015 4:47 +0000

Bumping up an older thread here fellas.
I've just had my TRD dyno'd for a baseline reference. Exhaust and CAI are going in next week, then returning to be tuned.
I've been advised to go with the Xede chip and a re-tune - dual map, switchable between 91 and 98 octane due to an up-coming round Aus trip where 98 might not be readily available in some places.

Question is: As it's quite a bit of money to spend for the chip, is there genuine benefit with the Xede or is there another avenue to tune? I've also been told the check engine light will come on and there is no way to turn it off. :(
Any advice would be most welcome before my wallet gets lightened even further........

Edit to add: I've been reading through (I think every thread) I could find on this and my head hurts now.... :?

Cheers, S
Good drivers have dead bugs on the side windows..........
Sideways

Postby Sideways on Tue, 26 May 2015 10:26 +0000

Hi all,
Hopefully, a little more useful info for anyone heading down this path. Below are my TRD baseline dyno numbers.
Standard air filter/box (dirty), standard exhaust system, 98 ron fuel.
This was with new 265/70/17 BFG AT's fitted so have gone up one profile size from the stock 65 series. It took a little sting out of it but not too much. The HPF lads thought around 5-6 KW atw.
After this a new Tacoma CAI was fitted, along with the Hurricane ceramic headers and 3" system. Great fit and finish - took about 2.5 hrs on a friends hoist.
For those in Vic, Mark at Hurricane Performance can supply the whole system and was very helpful.
Initial observations: Less throttle required when taking off from lights and general driving around town.
Exhaust: quite a bit noisier and does drone a bit at between 2-3k but is not 'hoonish' and doesn't sound like a V6 Crappydoor thank goodness! Has a nice sound under heavy load and definitely has more power up top. It doesn't seem to 'run out of breath' anymore - revs hard all the way to the redline.
CAI not really much noisier unless under heavy acceleration - S/C whine is less noticeable now under normal driving due to the new exhaust note.
Fuel economy: Modest improvement at this stage but that could honestly be due to a range of factors.....jury is still out on that one :)
Mmmm, Shiny!
Next step (as has been mentioned earlier) was Xede chip, pulley upgrade and solid S/C coupling....plus a 4" stainless custom snorkel - the only one that is viewed (by the HPF lads at least) as non-restrictive.
HOWEVER, after talking with a couple of TRD owners recently who have done the Xede chip, they were not convinced it made any real improvement.
As explained really well by Gulfstream above, the Toyota ECU is seemingly only being tricked into running leaner so it's a lot of $$$ to 'maybe' get a result......
Feedback on the pulley upgrade got a resounding yes with marked improvements BUT (echoing previous comments), the chip was viewed by some owners as a big waste of money. No noticeable improvement in either performance or fuel economy.

As I'm about to do some huge km's around Oz, any fuel savings per 100km's will potentially pay for (at least half) of the chip install if I go ahead. Any further thoughts or opinions?

Cheers all.
S
Sideways

Postby Sideways on Tue, 05 Apr 2016 5:02 +0000

G'day all - a (very) delayed update here.
Have returned from our 'round Oz trip last year and covering around 30,000 km's with the new headers/exhaust, I am a little underwhelmed by the 'supposed' benefits.......
Within that 30k, we did roughly 22k towing a heavily modded offroad Jayco Swan - driving with zero regard for fuel economy, sitting on the speed limit everywhere (100-110 and 120+ in NT) we averaged just over 21 Litres per hundred.
Given that most 200 series TTD Landcruisers were using 19-20 towing similar rigs, I was reasonably happy.
Plus the fact they couldn't keep up with me when overtaking road trains was hilarious. One bloke with a 200 Sahara was gutted when he got hosed by a Hilux towing a bigger van than his :D :lol:
Observations:
The 3" exhaust DRONES badly in 4th gear at around 2.5k revs and has lost some of it's low-down driveability.
We had to put spacers on the oxy sensors as they kept throwing fault codes and appeared to be richening up the fuel as a result (can't confirm 100% but that's how it appeared), however, it does have more poke in the higher rev range.
Just before we left, I fitted a 4" Radius Engineering stainless snorkel (great bloke to deal with and excellent product!). More supercharger noise from the snorkel but did not appear to affect performance in any way.
Never had time to do the Chip/pulley upgrade before we left and since returning it hasn't been a priority (but I still want to look into it a bit more.
Cheers, S
Sideways

Previous

Return to Fuel Systems