OK - Pre Filter or Secondary Filter?

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: OK - Pre Filter or Secondary Filter?

Postby packeteer on Tue, 12 Apr 2016 9:59 +0000

Mine came with 2 filters, so I haven't bought any yet. Will try ebay first
Last edited by packeteer on Wed, 13 Apr 2016 11:56 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby apSlain on Wed, 13 Apr 2016 8:49 +0000

packeteer wrote:Baileys is much cheaper for exactly the same thing :)

Thought so; always a help, packeteer.

Another general question - if I mount this with the fuel manager on the rocker cover side, how easy are people finding it to change the oil filter? Cheers.
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby packeteer on Wed, 13 Apr 2016 11:57 +0000

the filter is designed to sit beside a second battery, so yeah it gets tight in there

when it comes time for filter change, just undo the 2 bolts and flip it aside
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby Talktheroo on Wed, 13 Apr 2016 7:02 +0000

Do a primary set up. That is a 30 micron filter assembly before the genuine filter assembly. Do not like the 2 micron thing unless you replace the genuine assembly with it.
Fuel Manager with the laser cut brackets is the go, at the moment. The AUD.
The Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby packeteer on Wed, 13 Apr 2016 7:22 +0000

Roo, can I ask why you dont like 2 micron?
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby Talktheroo on Wed, 13 Apr 2016 8:16 +0000

I think that is the best system in my opinion, as a diesel fitter. Toyota use a 5 to 7 micron fuel filter system, and that's what I like. 30 micron, or 10, down to the genuine, is good enough for me. I am not the Toyota engineer, they are. Take out all the crap up stream including water, before the genuine unit.
The Roo.
Talktheroo

Postby matt h on Thu, 14 Apr 2016 7:40 +0000

My local mechanic is pushing a 2 micron filter to be put in place AFTER the genuine filter.

The unit is a Parker Racor filter with a water seperator. He's asking for $1000 fitted.

It's for a 2010 Hilux with 110K's that we are currently setting up for a some big trips and I'm wondering if spending a grand on a filter is a bit of an overkill.

Oh - and it's nice to be back on this forum..as I bought a boat not long after buying the Hilux and doing a few mods, and all my $$$ end up going into the boat for the past few years :lol: :lol: Anyway we are now back into throwing our cash at the truck.
matt h

Postby aandy on Thu, 14 Apr 2016 8:57 +0000

matt h wrote:My local mechanic is pushing a 2 micron filter to be put in place AFTER the genuine filter.

The unit is a Parker Racor filter with a water seperator. He's asking for $1000 fitted.

It's for a 2010 Hilux with 110K's that we are currently setting up for a some big trips and I'm wondering if spending a grand on a filter is a bit of an overkill.

Oh - and it's nice to be back on this forum..as I bought a boat not long after buying the Hilux and doing a few mods, and all my $$$ end up going into the boat for the past few years :lol: :lol: Anyway we are now back into throwing our cash at the truck.

Too much, armed with the info on this forum anyone that owns a screwdriver could do it themselves for much much less $. I would use the FM100, cheap, ok quality, can get elements easy. BDG bracket looks well thought out, filter seems close to the engine but could be the photo.

I personally prefer the idea of a filter BEFORE the OEM filter for a few reasons:
1. The OEM suction pressure alarm will still work.
2. The pre filter will hopefully stop any sludge forming in the bottom of the OEM filter so the OEM water alarm float should be reliable.
3. Can change pre filter regularly and hardly ever open the OEM filter, avoids introducing contaminants.
4. I don't believe OEM filter would not be fine enough for OEM fuel system.

Others will disagree.
aandy

Postby apSlain on Thu, 14 Apr 2016 9:00 +0000

matt h wrote:The unit is a Parker Racor filter with a water seperator. He's asking for $1000 fitted.

Disclaimer: I have not yet bought or attempted the installation of the additional fuel filter.

$1,000 sounds like a rip to my uneducated ears...I had a look at the BDG kit's instructions and whilst not being mechanically minded, my first thought was "that's piss easy". Hardest part looks like accessing the bracket bolts and then having due diligence to properly prime the system.
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 14 Apr 2016 9:39 +0000

Donaldson do a good pre-filter for around $100 and includes 2 filters and hoses. The bracket not supplied but I am sure you can buy/make one for a few bucks, and then about 20mins to fit the whole box and dice. dunno how that reaches $1000 :o

I used the Racor one but with the A$ it is dearer than Donaldson. Then made a bracket from Mitre10 to fit... cost less than $10 ;)

Priming is easy, disconnect the outlet hose from the oem filter and pump the primer til fuel comes out and the pre-filter is full, refit the outlet hose and bingo! Takes 1 minute.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby BDG on Thu, 14 Apr 2016 12:59 +0000

to completely disagree with Roo :shock: hahaha, I really think the 2 micron is the pick.

We're setting these up with around 3.5 microns net clearance (which is marginally tighter than toyota - but theyre not running 10 to make 5 either side i can assure you), so less than 2 either side of the spindle...

a few reasons why i prefer secondary:
- less particles (read SHIT) through the injectors is going to make them last longer. Simple fact there
- Factory water warning light usually comes on when its pretty chockas in there. So when the light comes on, you best stop ASAP. with a primary filter, how often do you look under the bonnet? cause it will fill + OEM will fill THEN you get the warning. With this set-up, OEM filter will fill up, you'll get the warning AND then you still have the redundancy of the secondary system.

Primary wont really filter any better, and whilst the water trap is there, if you get any meaningful water through there, in my opinion, your still at just a big a risk.HOWEVER two benefits of this set up are the factory suction warning and longer filter life.

The Suction warnings people hear of with 2 microns CAN be well justified. a few eBay set-ups i've seen flow 50Litres / hour. Your hilux needs 120 = BIG PROBLEM. Fuel manager set ups flow 300 = no real problem. As for filter life, filters are there to catch shit and be replaced. Id rather they catch more and be replaced more...

my $0.02 anyway
BDG

Postby BDG on Thu, 14 Apr 2016 1:02 +0000

Oh, and Matt h - you're getting owned! $1000 is stupidly ridiculous.
BDG

Postby Mrmal on Fri, 15 Apr 2016 3:02 +0000

I went to Caterpillar and got the fuel manager equivalent (identical except filter is Cat yellow :) )for $125 bucks, $80 bucks for nipples, plugs and hose barbs and a $20 piece of SS 2mm folded up for bracket. 3 holes in the bottom to bolt it in and 2 holes in the top to hold filter. Took around 30 minutes to fit and bleed. Not sure where $1000 comes in!
Mrmal

Postby Krat on Sun, 24 Apr 2016 3:51 +0000

Just finished setting up a Fuel Manager secondary filter in my 07 Dual Cab and have a bit of a Noob question for the others that have installed them.
I have got the unit in place and just went to screw in the fuel line fittings and plugs to the housing. They seem very tight and only go in to about half the thread length available.
I don't want to force them any further so screwed them back out. How difficult did others find these suckers to screw into place.
Krat

Postby qldminer on Sun, 24 Apr 2016 4:00 +0000

screw them in until they are tight, using a threadlock supplied.

mine has some thread sticking out also, its normal.
qldminer

Postby packeteer on Sun, 24 Apr 2016 5:48 +0000

and do not use plumbers thread tape!
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby Krat on Mon, 25 Apr 2016 5:17 +0000

Thanks for the responses qldminer and packeter.
I will start putting the fittings together now.

Cheers.
Krat

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 02 May 2016 9:11 +0000

Krat, the plugs etc are taper thread so use the sealer and tighten as suggested above, they will show some thread because of the taper thread.

Cheers G
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Krat on Mon, 02 May 2016 11:38 +0000

Thanks Gipsy.
I applied some thread lock and screwed them in nice and firm.
Connected the fuel lines back up, pumped it up , and it fired up first turn of the key.
So all good.

Kev.
Krat

Postby Talktheroo on Tue, 03 May 2016 3:42 +0000

BDG wrote:to completely disagree with Roo :shock: hahaha, I really think the 2 micron is the pick.

We're setting these up with around 3.5 microns net clearance (which is marginally tighter than toyota - but theyre not running 10 to make 5 either side i can assure you), so less than 2 either side of the spindle...

a few reasons why i prefer secondary:
- less particles (read SHIT) through the injectors is going to make them last longer. Simple fact there
- Factory water warning light usually comes on when its pretty chockas in there. So when the light comes on, you best stop ASAP. with a primary filter, how often do you look under the bonnet? cause it will fill + OEM will fill THEN you get the warning. With this set-up, OEM filter will fill up, you'll get the warning AND then you still have the redundancy of the secondary system.

Primary wont really filter any better, and whilst the water trap is there, if you get any meaningful water through there, in my opinion, your still at just a big a risk.HOWEVER two benefits of this set up are the factory suction warning and longer filter life.

The Suction warnings people hear of with 2 microns CAN be well justified. a few eBay set-ups i've seen flow 50Litres / hour. Your hilux needs 120 = BIG PROBLEM. Fuel manager set ups flow 300 = no real problem. As for filter life, filters are there to catch shit and be replaced. Id rather they catch more and be replaced more...

my $0.02 anyway

Yes, I have seen the test by Diesel Care. Yes, you only need 90L per hour flow for the 1KD-FTVs. With coated injector parts, do you think you need the 2 micron set up, Matt?
Should be no more than $500.00 for a diesel fitter or diesel mechanic to fit an extra fuel filter set up. I wouldn't go with the Parker gear at the moment. The AUD, you see. Nothing wrong with the Cat or Fuel Manager fuel filter assemblies.
The Roo.
Talktheroo

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems