OK - Pre Filter or Secondary Filter?

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: OK - Pre Filter or Secondary Filter?

Postby hiluxd4d1kd on Sat, 07 Jun 2014 12:43 +0000

might soud like a bit of a dumb question but recently installed my fuel manager seperator.... primed it and noticed the glass bowl fill up with diesel....

when water is filtered does the sit below the diesel in the bowl or
is it suppost to be empty and then slowly fill up if their is water?

hahaha just curious
hiluxd4d1kd

Postby aandy on Sat, 07 Jun 2014 12:52 +0000

hiluxd4d1kd wrote:might soud like a bit of a dumb question but recently installed my fuel manager seperator.... primed it and noticed the glass bowl fill up with diesel....

when water is filtered does the sit below the diesel in the bowl or
is it suppost to be empty and then slowly fill up if their is water?

hahaha just curious

No, it is definitely meant to be full of diesel, any water will sit at the bottom of the bowl under the diesel. Water is heavier than diesel.
aandy

Postby hiluxd4d1kd on Sat, 07 Jun 2014 1:00 +0000

ahh sweet just wanted to double check...thanks
hiluxd4d1kd

Postby speyers on Sat, 13 Dec 2014 10:57 +0000

I think we can all know that water and algae can be very destructive to the common rail engines. To this end, Toyota did put a water trap/filter and indicator light as OEM equipment. What many of us are trying to do is figure out how to mitigate the risks of water/algae and particulate matter getting through the OEM filter and on into the rest of the system.

As many have said in this thread, installing a "pre-filter/water trap" before the OEM filter is a good way to have at least two chances of catching the water. A 30 micron filter also seems to be popular as it "steps down" the filtration before the OEM filter which is believed to be 8-10 microns. Popular systems are the FM100, Delphi 296, Racor 230R or 445R. From that I hear, there have not been problems with a loss of pressure to the engine driven fuel injection pump with these systems.

The "post filter/water trap" option (AFTER the OEM filter) does not seem to be as popular even though Baileys recommends and installs them (http://www.baileysdiesel.com/on-highway ... -problems/) Some users like BIGFOOTJR have reported no problems with a 5 micron secondary filter.

Many think that having a secondary filter with a smaller micron rating (2-5 micron) caused more "drag" on the system and causes the blockage light to come on or throw up a code. Looking at the Racor performance charts for their filters, at 30 gph (max engine hp x .18) which is the max the D4D engine should need, the 230R filters has a 0.31 PSI drop and the 445R filter has a 0.12 PSI drop (@ 30 gph) REGARDLESS of what filter elements are being used (30, 10 or 2 microns). Arguments could be made for dirty filters clogging up, but filter changes no sooner than every 10,000km seem to work well and keeping things clean and moving right along.

http://www.powermotion.net/files/95191975.pdf
http://everest-74.ru/_files/Mobile_catalog_Racor.pdf

Both numbers are quite small for pressure drop. I was not able to find info on the FM100 or Delphi 296 filters. But, since we know that the Racor (and other) filters work well in the "pre-filter" regime, it stands to reason that they would work just as well in the "secondary" filter role as well. Baileys uses the FM100 2 micron filter in a secondary role and they, I dare say, install many more of these than anybody else on the forums.

Where I am going with all of this is to throw out my opinion on filters and to pass along what I personally am planning on doing. Secondary (after OEM filter) Racor 445R with a 2 micron filter and water probe driving a light & buzzer. Double everything of the OEM filter AND better filtration, what's not to like?

The 445R has the lowest PSI drop (0.12 @ 30 gph), a nice hand pump (not needed as many of pointed out, but still a plus in my book), a visual sight glass in addition to an optional water probe which can run a light & buzzer. The 2 micron filter is added protection (remember risk mitigation from the first paragraph) in getting anything the OEM filter does not catch and with an additional water trap, you have effectively doubled the safety of your fuel system.

http://www.discountracor.com has the 445R for $192 USD, replacement elements $22, and water probe kit on Ebay for $65.
speyers

Postby Hellbound on Sat, 13 Dec 2014 11:07 +0000

I have the racor 445 R and run a 10 micron filter before the oem, its an excellent unit. I did some research and found that in there is some problems with running a 2 micron filter after the oem one as it does indeed cause drag and wear on the injector pump. Might be worth a google to make sure you want to do it after the oem as i think the go would be to replace it with the racor only and run a 2 micron filter.
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby aandy on Sat, 13 Dec 2014 2:36 +0000

speyers wrote:
Where I am going with all of this is to throw out my opinion on filters and to pass along what I personally am planning on doing. Secondary (after OEM filter) Racor 445R with a 2 micron filter and water probe driving a light & buzzer. Double everything of the OEM filter AND better filtration, what's not to like?

One thing not to like, the factory suction pressure alarm is on the OEM filter, this will monitor any restriction from the tank to the OEM filter, including a pre filter. If you have a filter after this alarm (as you suggest) you will not get any indication when it blocks up. If your secondary filter blocks up it will starve (and so maybe cook) your fuel pump without you knowing about it.
aandy

Postby speyers on Sun, 14 Dec 2014 12:52 +0000

[/quote] One thing not to like, the factory suction pressure alarm is on the OEM filter, this will monitor any restriction from the tank to the OEM filter, including a pre filter. If you have a filter after this alarm (as you suggest) you will not get any indication when it blocks up. If your secondary filter blocks up it will starve (and so maybe cook) your fuel pump without you knowing about it.[/quote]

Did not know the factory filter also had a low pressure warning. At what PSI does it go off? I thought it only had a water alarm.
speyers

Postby Talktheroo on Sun, 14 Dec 2014 5:56 +0000

I am now using the Fuel Management system, for two reasons. The weak AUD, and I love that bracket.
30 micron before the Toyota genuine unit. That's how I am doing it now.
It makes it just a bolt on affair, and so easy.
So, I am with BH on this issue.
It was great using the Racor brand when the AUD was strong, but not now.
And anyway, I can just buy the units through Maxiparts, which makes it so much easier for me.
Catch you later, John.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby calis101 on Wed, 17 Dec 2014 1:07 +0000

Does anyone know where I can pick up a replacement filter for the fm100 in vic/western suburbs?

Cheers Simon.
calis101

Postby Talktheroo on Mon, 19 Jan 2015 10:08 +0000

Just putting this out there, as someone from Ryco has said that the genuine Toyota filter for the KUN26 and 150 Hiluxes is 30 micron.
I thought they were in between 5 to 7 micron rated.
Is this true or false?
What say you, Boxhead 55, and everybody else.
Catch you later, John.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby packeteer on Mon, 19 Jan 2015 10:43 +0000

I believe it was BDG that had them independently tested at around 8-10 micron
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby speyers on Wed, 21 Jan 2015 8:28 +0000

Hellbound wrote:I have the racor 445 R and run a 10 micron filter before the oem, its an excellent unit. I did some research and found that in there is some problems with running a 2 micron filter after the oem one as it does indeed cause drag and wear on the injector pump. Might be worth a google to make sure you want to do it after the oem as i think the go would be to replace it with the racor only and run a 2 micron filter.

I contacted Baileys to ask specifically about running a 2 micron secondary fuel filter. They sell a kit by Fuel Manager for installing a 2 micron secondary filter.
http://baileys-diesel-group.mybigcommer ... separator/
They have not had any problems with it and have sold hundreds of them. I am going to trust their expertise and experience over anecdotal googling. :D

-David
speyers

Postby packeteer on Wed, 21 Jan 2015 8:40 +0000

insufficient flow rate and you will get all the bad things happening. the reason the Stanadyne FM100 is recommended is because it has triple the necessary flow rate

ps. I run the FM100 in 2micron as final filter and change every 20k
Last edited by packeteer on Wed, 21 Jan 2015 8:42 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby speyers on Wed, 21 Jan 2015 8:41 +0000

aandy wrote:One thing not to like, the factory suction pressure alarm is on the OEM filter, this will monitor any restriction from the tank to the OEM filter, including a pre filter. If you have a filter after this alarm (as you suggest) you will not get any indication when it blocks up. If your secondary filter blocks up it will starve (and so maybe cook) your fuel pump without you knowing about it.

Actually Racor sells a number of different suction pressure alarms and gauges. Check it out, page 25 of their product guide.
http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/ ... -_7529.pdf

Available at these retailers.

http://www.asap-supplies.com/marine/wat ... iction-kit

http://www.dieselequipment.com/shop/die ... cator-kit/
Last edited by speyers on Wed, 21 Jan 2015 8:50 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
speyers

Postby speyers on Wed, 21 Jan 2015 8:49 +0000

packeteer wrote:I believe it was BDG that had them independently tested at around 8-10 micron

YES!!! 8-10 micron.

There is a lot of misinformation about the OEM filter, people saying anywhere from 2-30 micron. Its becoming as bad as the dual mass flywheel misinformation! :lol:
http://www.newhilux.net/forum/viewtopic ... 1&start=20
speyers

Postby apSlain on Tue, 12 Apr 2016 10:18 +0000

Hi all,

Two quick questions, not expecting a consensus on the first though.

1. Pre- versus Secondary...any consensus/new research on what to go with come out in the past year? I see that BDG and Diesel Care both endorse the secondary but that's just an overall recommendation, not vehicle specific. Does the two micron really bring up that many false blockage warnings/alerts?
  2. What alert system are people going with to accompany their additional filter?
The vehicle's well out of warranty so no concerns there. More interested in the second question, really. In my head, an additional filter is better than no filter in any case.

Cheers for any insights!
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby packeteer on Tue, 12 Apr 2016 10:25 +0000

Definitely get the secondary!
I'm running the FM100 kit with 2 micron filter (same as what Baileys Diesel sells)

fwiw, I changed my FM100 filter (2 micron) at 25k, and I've since put 10k on the next one. so that's a total of 35k with no issue.

No alert system apart from the stock water alarm (which is now the primary filter)
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby apSlain on Tue, 12 Apr 2016 5:34 +0000

packeteer wrote:Definitely get the secondary! I'm running the FM100 kit with 2 micron filter (same as what Baileys Diesel sells)

Cheers mate, BDG also recommended me the same so that's where I'm leaning. Would you (or anyone) happen to know if there is any difference between the Diesel Care kit and BDG kit?
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby packeteer on Tue, 12 Apr 2016 5:41 +0000

Baileys is much cheaper for exactly the same thing :)
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby snakesoup on Tue, 12 Apr 2016 6:32 +0000

packeteer wrote:Definitely get the secondary!
I'm running the FM100 kit with 2 micron filter (same as what Baileys Diesel sells)

fwiw, I changed my FM100 filter (2 micron) at 25k, and I've since put 10k on the next one. so that's a total of 35k with no issue.

No alert system apart from the stock water alarm (which is now the primary filter)

hi mate, how much are you paying for the new 2um filters for the fm100 and where from.?
cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
snakesoup

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems