Biodiesel

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Biodiesel

Postby jimbojames on Sun, 27 Apr 2008 11:41 +0000

Hi guys, A couple of questions. first has anyone used B100 in their sr5 07 models yet and if so what has been the outcome. I live in far north qld and near mossman where we have a good quality supply of bio. A few friends run their patrols and cruisers on the bio but have older cars without the wiz back new fuel filter we have. That said they have had nothing but delight out of the bio not to mention at only 1.35 a litre its a bargain. I am neither a mechanic nor rich enough to replace the engine so some experience form others would really help immensely. I know at the end of the day it is always a risk filling up even with the dino diesel but surely opec are rich enough now!
cheers in advance
Jimbojames:-)
jimbojames

Biodiesel

Postby Hilux Surf-Vigo on Sun, 27 Apr 2008 4:39 +0000

Toyota (at least here in South America) does not recommend the use of biodiesel, albeit on a small proportion, because it can damage the common rail system and the injectors.
Hilux Surf-Vigo

Biodiesel

Postby Skog07 on Mon, 28 Apr 2008 3:56 +0000

There is a thread earlier on the forum covering it. You have to be careful and introduce it slowly buy mixing it with diesel to the system as it tends to clean everything up and clogs filters and injectors. Also be careful as it could void warranty.
Skog
Skog07

Biodiesel

Postby TOMUCH on Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:18 +0000

Jim. dont take my word for it.. but I was under the impression that Toyota allowed the use of B5 which is only 5% biodiesel.. I dont think that would really be worth the stress of not knowing what its doing to your engine vs the slightly cheaper cost of fuel....... Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Biodiesel

Postby jimbojames on Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:29 +0000

Thanks for the advice guys:)
Just pondering the new long life toyota fuel filter.
If it cleans down to 2 microns and therfore gets all the crap out of the fuel then surely it will be covered in the crap in no time. So how come it doesn't need changing as often. Also can we change them ourselves or is it strickly a toyota thing?
jimbo.
jimbojames

Biodiesel

Postby Redlux on Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:56 +0000

Everything I hsve heard about bio is that it is better than fosil diesel due to higher viscosity.

Don't know anymore than that, but very keen to hear more about bio, seems to be a good alternative if it doesnt do any damage.
Redlux

Biodiesel

Postby mischief on Mon, 28 Apr 2008 9:56 +0000

I've been running B20 (20% bio) here in perth, lux seems to love it.
mischief

Biodiesel

Postby david allan on Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:17 +0000

Jimbo, I think the issue of cloging resolves itself once you have been running Bxx for awhile... as whats been said, you probably best of introducing it slowly and after several tanks of getting it blended stronger change your filters... you are correct in that the filters will catch all the crap.. the problem being that they then block up stopping fuel flow... For $1.35 I'd certainly be going down the path you are looking at... but thats just my opinion..
david allan

Biodiesel

Postby TOMUCH on Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:13 +0000

Jimbo, The filter can be changed by yourself very easily, simply remove the hoses and the Elec connections, then give the whole assembly a quick sharp pull upwards.. it should just pop right out the engine bay... if not have a look at the mount.. you might have to lever the catch out a touch.. then unscrew the ring, remove the filter and o'ring, clean the bowl completely, put the new filter in with the o'ring and do up the ring.. reinstall the assembly , inlet hose and connections and prime to the outlet and connect it, then start up and check for leaks. Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Biodiesel

Postby jimbojames on Wed, 30 Apr 2008 9:11 +0000

Thanks tomuch, appreciate the help.
Jimbo:)
jimbojames

Biodiesel

Postby 2RODS on Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:20 +0000

Jimbojames.... I put up a post on Bio Diesel a few months ago here.... There are a lot of rumours and missinformation around about bio diesel.... I work in the bio diesel industry so I hear them all....some facts for you:

BIo diesel it's self doesn't clog up your filter. The crud in your tank is loosened by the bio and that is what clogs your filters up. In cold weather the manufacturers add a cold weather addative to help with viscosity..or they blend it.

Bio diesel is fine for common rail injection..... the lubricity of bio is greater than mineral diesel by a long long way.

The main thing is to get it from a bowser not from someones back yard...the specs for bio are very high and commercial manufacturers can't sell you off spec bio..

Iwould think that a B20 or B50 blend in your hilux would be fine.. 1 of my co-workers runs b100 in his mazda BT50 commonrail and has had no issues in 30,000kms.

Remember that the EU has mandated a B5 mix in europe for years...

If you want to know anything else PM me ;)
2RODS

Biodiesel

Postby jimbojames on Sat, 03 May 2008 8:56 +0000

thanks very much 2rods

jimbojames

Biodiesel

Postby 2RODS on Thu, 08 May 2008 12:59 +0000

no worries ..... if you want any info just let me know..8-)

There are too many people around with NO IDEA but a huge opinion on BIO DIESEL :-)
2RODS

Biodiesel

Postby Skog07 on Fri, 09 May 2008 11:25 +0000

2 RODS
Dont know if you can answer this but I am curious to know myself. Once we run out of crude oil and we no longer have any reserves left can the world in whole be able to sustain itself with the usage of the bio alternatives? I have always wondered about this and if anyone can shed some light on the subject it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the thread hijack Jimbojames
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Biodiesel

Postby olcoolone on Sat, 10 May 2008 2:06 +0000

But what about the solvents in Bio deisel, have they got an impact on common rail components.

Regards Richard
olcoolone

Biodiesel

Postby bms on Sat, 10 May 2008 2:33 +0000

But what about the solvents in Bio deisel, have they got an impact on common rail components. :-) :-)

X2 :-)
bms

Biodiesel

Postby Redlux on Tue, 13 May 2008 2:51 +0000

From Toyota's website:
http://www.toyota.com.au/toyota/main/FAQs/0,4611,1370_402,00.html#group1

Fuel - LPG, Petrol, Biodiesel blends EDITED
Can I use Biodiesel Fuel Blends in my Toyota?

Toyota and its Fuel Injection Equipment suppliers encourage the future development of fuels based on renewable energy sources.

However, with regards to biodiesel fuels, there are no mandated Standards as currently apply to mainstream fuels.

Toyota will endorse biodiesel fuel blends using FAME (Fatty Acid Methyl Esters that comply with either EN14214 or ASTM D6751 standards) of up to 5% volume concentration when mixed with conventional diesel fuel. The final product B5 (5% Biodiesel blend) at the pump must conform to the national Diesel Fuel Standard which is based on EN590.

In the absence of biodiesel fuel standards and due to the many variations of biodiesel fuel blends under production in our market, such as B20 & B30 (biodiesel blend 20% & 30%) Toyota is not in a position to evaluate the long term effect that these varied biodiesel fuel blends will have on engine overall performance, fuel injection equipment durability, fuel economy and exhaust emission compliance.

Accordingly, Toyota cannot recommend concentration of biodiesel fuel blends greater than 5% volume as mentioned above.

This statement is provided to inform Toyota owners of Toyota's position with regard to the use of biodiesel fuels in its products and also serves to confirm that Toyota New Vehicle Warranty will not apply to any failures that are attributable to the use of such fuels.
Redlux

Re: Biodiesel

Postby 2RODS on Sat, 06 Sep 2008 7:54 +0000

olcoolone wrote:But what about the solvents in Bio deisel, have they got an impact on common rail components.

Regards Richard

When bio is made commercially it is washed and dried..the level of contaminants is very very low.. The stuff I know well meets the standards by a long way...

I would not run B100 in the lux but B20 and lower is fine IMHO. As I have said before the biggest issues are people making it in the back yard and trying to tell you its all good.... The process is easy but getting it to a high standard is not. How do I know??? well I have been making the stuff (commercially) for the last 2 years so I know what goes into it :) I am just about to change jobs but that is not due to bio being bad :lol: I have itchy feet :lol:
2RODS

Postby Quinny34 on Thu, 04 Jun 2009 9:17 +0000

2RODS,

I'd agree, we use it in some of the trucks at work and the refinement is very good. After running B20 for awhile I'd even go further. The main issue is using with a strong mix straight after using normal deisel .. the Bio stuff acts much better as a cleaner therefore cleaning all the shit from the tank and lines straight into your filters... introduce it slowly and replace your filters and your right to rock and roll...

We have some of the big rigs running almost 100% now...
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby crosssport on Fri, 05 Jun 2009 6:29 +0000

Be very careful with the % of biodiesel you run in a common rail vehicle. When I was in north W.A working, just last year, I had a lot to do with bio-diesel. I attended training modules and was part on the inland pilbara bio-diesel program. I ran 100% bio-diesel in my 2.8 diesel rodeo and it was fine. We also ran it in alot of other vehicles and machinery without a problem. However, as a trial with the common rail diesels, a new nissan patrol was ran on 100% bio-diesel from brand new. Hence warranty void by nissan. This vehicle failed to do 20,000km before destroying the injector pump and injectors.
Bio-diesel is fine in a common rail at low % rates. Also check with the manufacturer as most will only still supply warranty up to a certain %. 10 to 20% at most I think. Some void all warranty if any bio-diesel is used.
Just be cautious and cover all bases, remember common rail systems run extreme pressures and ultra fine tolerances compared to older mechanical style injection system which could run on straight cooking oil without a problem.
You would hate to end up with a huge repair bill just in the cause of saying a buck at the bowser.
DETERMINATION.....THERE IS NO TRYING...THERE IS ONLY DOING OR NOT DOING!
crosssport

Next

Return to Fuel Systems