Biodiesel

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Biodiesel

Postby Quinny34 on Fri, 05 Jun 2009 6:54 +0000

The savings are minimal arn't they..

crosssport, Why do you reckon the Nissan died, being new it should have been relativly clean so the BD shouldn't have picked up crap and dragged it through the engine... DO you think it ate away the seals in the injector pump?
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby crosssport on Fri, 05 Jun 2009 7:15 +0000

Quinny23 wrote:The savings are minimal arn't they..

crosssport, Why do you reckon the Nissan died, being new it should have been relativly clean so the BD shouldn't have picked up crap and dragged it through the engine... DO you think it ate away the seals in the injector pump?

Hey quinny,
I moved from up there before they got results of what the complete damage was.
I know that bio-diesel has great lubricating properties so I don't believe it woud have been seal damage.
Bio diesel is well refined, however still nowhere near as the diesel we pump from the bowser.
There is also an additive that needs to be added to bio diesel to give it a decent shelf life. I have seen bio diesel turn like soap also.
Bio diesel has great cleaning properties and that is why earlier and older vehicles require regular filter changes at the early stages of running bio diesel as is removes diesel fungi that builds up in the fuel tank and fuel lines.

I believe that the nissan problem would be more to do with internal pump wear and injector damage due to the differences in make up of bio diesel compared to pump diesel.

A couple of points on bio diesel for those interested.

What is Biodiesel?
Biodiesel is the Ester (Methyl or Ethyl) created when Vegetable oil is mixed with an alcohol (usually Methanol) in the presence of a catalyst (usually Sodium Hydroxide) and allowed to separate and settle out.

What byproducts are produced?
The only byproduct is called Glycerol, a mixture of Glycerin, impurities and any remaining alcohol and catalyst. The alcohol evaporates off naturally over time and the catalyst can be wasted out. The glycerin can be used as a good degreaser and hand soap. It can also be further processed into pure glycerin used in the cosmetic industry and others.

How is Biodiesel made?
It's a very simple process. Vegetable oil is placed in a reaction vessel where an alcohol and a catalyst is mixed into it. After mixing for a period of time, the mixture is allowed to settle. The mixture will separate and form two distinct layers. The top layer is Biodiesel and the bottom layer is the glycerol. After sufficient time has passed to allow complete separation, the glycerol is drained out and the remaining Biodiesel is washed to remove excess catalyst and other impurities before finally being filtered for use.
DETERMINATION.....THERE IS NO TRYING...THERE IS ONLY DOING OR NOT DOING!
crosssport

Postby Quinny34 on Fri, 05 Jun 2009 8:16 +0000

Thanks for the write up.. you know youre stuff!
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby crosssport on Fri, 05 Jun 2009 2:42 +0000

Just here to help out where I can and learn from others also.
If we learn one thing new each day then it hasn't been a waste ;)
crosssport

Postby Skog07 on Fri, 05 Jun 2009 3:07 +0000

X2 Quinny.
Thanks for the write up Shane.
Also heard that you need to put some type of heater on the fuel lines to stop the bio turning to soap and clogging up the fuel pump in colder environments??? Is this true.
Cheers
SKog
Skog07

Postby crosssport on Fri, 05 Jun 2009 3:35 +0000

They put an additive in the fuel to give it a longer shelf life and better performance in cool/cold climates, otherwise yes it will go soapy and gel like.
Haven't heard of anyone running heaters except for those who brew there own at home without adding additives that are required.
However in extreme cold conditions I would be concerned.
Wouldn't want to wake up after camping in the snow fields and have a tank full of solid sluge. :o
crosssport

Postby jamiecracker on Fri, 05 Jun 2009 4:09 +0000

1.35 a litre wtf???
that is crazy
jamiecracker

Previous

Return to Fuel Systems